728 X 90
Accuquilt Dynamic Promo

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Stashbuster Projects

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stashbuster Projects

Share your Stashbusting Project with us!
    Debbie

Stashbusting MAL WTD 0/YTD -372 (2020-712)(2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 18/30 (2020-55)(2019-51)(2018-35)

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.
    Crochet Is My Yoga

I have a tub I throw all my scraps and non-luxury leftovers in. It's near overflowing. I'll make mats for the local cat shelter until I grow weary of working on them. I give it another 3 days or so.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200105_112638.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	38092
    Debbie

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.
    Crochet Is My Yoga

Comment

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Neat idea! And in entrelac as well!

• susanwayne
      susanwayne commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea and thanks for the stats on what you did. This is a great idea to try out a new pattern too. How many new patterns have a I tried (full size) only to stop partway and add it to the WIP bin! I like this idea a lot. Thanks for sharing it.

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice!

My first FO this year. It's a birthday present for my mum-in-law.
    Stash: -86 g
    Yarn: Lambswool 2/24 in 7 threads, colour white
    Needles: 3.5 mm, 4 mmClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200109_113146.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	38886

Name:	IMG_20200109_113141.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	38885
    2021 Stashbuster MAL WTD +31, YTD +62
    Reading Challenge 20/40
    Cross Stitch 3/12
    Craft month goal 1.41/2 miles

Comment

• Natalia
      Natalia commented
      Editing a comment
      TexasPurl Thank you!

• Natalia
      Natalia commented
      Editing a comment
      knitter131 Thank you! Yes, she likes it!

• Natalia
      Natalia commented
      Editing a comment
      Char Thank you! I didn't use any pattern.

Share a favorite stashbuster project!
    Debbie

Crochet Is My Yoga

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s hard to stash bust when you keep starting new WIPs before finishing old ones. 😂😂

Hats are my favorite stashbusting projects. That and mittens. Actually I guess I mean left over stash!! Both from Add Budd's Handy Book of Patterns

Name:	DSC_0013.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	46770Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0010.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	46772
    Attached Files
    Linda
    2021 Stasbusting week ending 7/3 WTD = +6 YTD = +102
    2020 Stash busted +160
    Book Challenge 103/150; 27 non-fiction

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
    The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost" JRR Tolkien

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice!

• DJM
      DJM commented
      Editing a comment
      Well done!!

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful! I make hats with leftovers as well.

PurlgirlButtons
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD + 0; YTD +417
    Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

Comment

I've officially started my 2021 Temperature blanket. Hoping to use up some of my oldest stash. I hardly ever use my WW acrylic stash like Red Heart that has been around for years because I get so wrapped up in all the sock yarn and hand dyed etc. I'm hoping I'll use up several skeins on this blanket. I'm not being super picky about the colors. If I run out of one light olive green etc I'll just use another one whether it's a perfect match or not.
      I'm just doing a basic stockinette stitch with garter edges. It doesn't look like it but that's 210 stitches.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20210101_225546.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.9 KB ID:	86314
      Natalie from Oklahoma

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
      ~~Samuel Adams

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -44 WTD
      2021 50 New-to-me Books: 16
      National Craft Month: 2503 of 1760 yards

Comment

• DJM
        DJM commented
        Editing a comment
        Can't wait to see your progress!!

Name:	20210102_235612.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	86698 I'm using up my Peaches and Creme kitchen cotton with hot pads and dish towels so I can feel free to get some cottons that I like working with better. What do y'all look for on the label when looking for cotton to use in dish towels and hot pads etc. The P&C is so stiff that it's not really very nice to work with.... I used to have a bunch of I Love This Cotton from Hobby Lobby that was much softer and had a bit of drape that I've made wash cloths from but is that okay with heat? I never really thought about it until I used that cotton blend last year that had polyester in it and it kinda melted. Boy did I feel dumb!
      Natalie from Oklahoma

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
      ~~Samuel Adams

Comment

• PurlgirlButtons
        PurlgirlButtons commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you considered a bulky wool for hot pads, due to their less flammable properties?

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        I didn't know wool was less flammable! I made some felted ones years ago. They were the best! Why didn't I think of that?!

• PurlgirlButtons
        Editing a comment
        It is self-extinguishing, once removed from the flame source.

I went back to the battenberg blanket today and started making granny squares again. I felt it was necessary to add up all the squares I have made. Ugh. This depressed me. I have only 212. And I am nearly out of the leftovers I was using to make this blanket. I am using a DK weight, so it shouldn’t need as many squares as Cherry Heart used, but it is nowhere near 1,000. This will not be a very big blanket if I don’t buy more yarn and keep making grannies. I’m not sure what I should do, because I really don’t want to buy any yarn, but I do want this blanket to be bigger. Click image for larger version

Name:	F898C897-C92E-47E7-B4F4-4DB7B30EBB49.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	87189
      Katie

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul. It sings the tune without the words and never stops at all. ~Emily Dickinson

Comment

• PurlgirlButtons
        Editing a comment
        I agree with hereami, Fisherwife, Also, there might be some people here who would want to "gift" you with some because they don't like the weight or colors that they have. Are you using a specific brand, color scheme?

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        I am making a battenburg blanket out of a light worsted (hobby lobby brand similar to simply soft).

I am thinking I have 100 colored squares give or take. It is becoming a decent size blanket.

How big is a square? You may have enough.

I am in a mathy mood. Lol

• Fisherwife
        Fisherwife commented
        Editing a comment
        My dear son helped me do the math. I have enough for a throw at this point. I fished out some more Stylecraft special dk and have been making squares this week. I think when I run out, I’ll just begin to join and see where I end up. It’s a very kind thought that some of you could gift them to me, but I really don’t want to back up in my progress of stashbusting, hence my reluctance to buy more. However, I may get an orange and yellow skein simply because I have none in my stash with which to make squares.

All the leftovers I have are from Attic24 blanket kits. I made three in DK weight. My children each got blankets last year. I do love making blankets from her kits. She has such a flair for color. The patterns are simple and repetitious, so it’s easy to memorize them and work while listening and watching something else entirely.

My all-time favorite Stashbuster, Stashburner is more like it, is the Garter Squish Blanket. I can use up a lot of acrylic (no offense) and it is still soft and drapey. The last 2 have used 2 strands worsted weight yarn and size 11 needles. One strand was a Caron Simply Soft (I had one of those bulk bags from AC Moore) I use 56" slick nickel-plated Knitpicks circular needles, and it makes for good tv knitting. If you stick to one side of the color wheel, it actually doesn't look too crazy!

Name:	IMG_2359.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	87447
      Spin de Fleece Total Time: 29 hrs Total Grams: 567 Total Yards: 861
      Stashbuster MAL WTD: (-20) YTD: (-1)

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        It is tempting to start something like this because every day when I knit my one row on my temperature blanket I find myself wishing I could just knit a few more rows. It's just such a nice mindless, stress reliever. And I just hairball to have a 60" #11 from knitpicks.

• PurlgirlButtons
        Editing a comment
        knitter131; pattern is very simple: CO desired # of sts, knit to 3 stitches left, slip3 wyif, turn, repeat. Make a swatch to determine the gauge and needles you want to use. Original pattern calls for 2 strands of WW wool and size US#15 needles with a CO of 126 for a 40” wide blanket. My yarns were a little thinner, and find using #11s more comfy in the long run. Mine was 56” wide, very heavy at the end!

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        PurlgirlButtons thanks for the pattern - I’m very familiar with this method of making an I-cord edge, and it’s a favorite of mine as well. I will be sure to do a swatch, because I would probably make one in sport weight single strand.

This is a Scrappy project that I have been working on this week. All week long I told myself, "this is for my shop, this is for my shop" Now it's done and I don't know if I can part with it!!! It is recycled denim, duck cloth on the bottom, and a light cotton lining. The lining is the only reason I don't think I would sell it, I would rather have a heavier muslin or quilting cotton. I don't have anything at the moment. I haven't put bags of this size in my shop because I feel like the market is flooded with bags, but I think it is unique enough, it might sell. I'll never know until I try, right?

Name:	File_002.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	88637Click image for larger version

Name:	File_000 (1).jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	88635Click image for larger version

Name:	File_000 (3).jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	88638Click image for larger version

Name:	File_001 (1).jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	88636

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

• hereami
        hereami commented
        Editing a comment
        It is beautiful.
        I am sure it will sell quickly.
        If you decide to keep it it looks perfect and like you could use it for years.

• PurlgirlButtons
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Char, knitter131, @ Spice2s, DJM, KnitsWithHorses, and hereami. I have so many bags, I may list it tomorrow.
        Spice2s, I did not use a pattern, it is my own original design!

Here is January on my temperature blanket. Getting through January with no gray (sub-freezing high temps) is pretty amazing but it looks like I'll be breaking out the gray this weekend.

Name:	20210131_121107.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	88899
      Natalie from Oklahoma

~~Samuel Adams

Comment

• Spice2s
        Spice2s commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking good!

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks good, nice color choices too!

I got our my deep stash cottons and I'm making dish towels and maybe some potholders. This is yarn that has been in my stash since the 80s and 90s.

Name:	20210330_122808.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	94570
      Natalie from Oklahoma

~~Samuel Adams

Comment

• TeaNSugar
        TeaNSugar commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a beautiful yarn. That must feel good to finally use it. Looks great.

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Thank you TeaNSugar It's two strands of cotton held together. It is really satisfying to see it actually turned into something useful.

I just added today to my temperature blanket which officially completed the first quarter of 2021. I'm thinking of making a pillow for each quarter next year.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20210331_104811.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.3 KB ID:	94626 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210331_110240.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	94627
      Natalie from Oklahoma

~~Samuel Adams

Comment

• DJM
        DJM commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking great!!

• TeaNSugar
        TeaNSugar commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking good! I also like the sparkle thread plan.

• Spice2s
        Spice2s commented
        Editing a comment
        It's looking really good! One quarter down!

Yay! Finished

Name:	File_000 (37).jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	97497

Comment

• PurlgirlButtons
        Editing a comment
        @herami, I did not plan the colors, I just made little balls and pulled out of a bag without looking (too much!). All acrylic.

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        Gosh, it’s beautiful 😃

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        I love it!

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse