728 X 90
Accuquilt Dynamic Promo

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Stashbuster Projects

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must say, I’ve been purchasing yarn as of late to make new projects that tickle my fancy. My stash mostly sits waiting for me to remember it and love it and choose it. Some yarns I can never part with even though I seldom make things with it. There are discontinued yarns that I simply can’t get anymore and so I dare not donate it. As I have progressed in the fiber arts my tastes have changed and I’ve reduced my stash to make room for pricier yarns or different kinds of fiber. Due to my advancing age and wear and tear on my joints, I choose to use wool and acrylic more often so as not to hurt myself. Still, cotton is such a lovely fiber, I really can’t stop using it, so I have to adjust how long I work with it each day.

I’ve been making bags as of late of cotton. Crochet is my first love so these bags have been hooked rather than made with needles. The ladies in our group that meets once a week have shown an interest in learning new stitches and I seem to be the one that they come to with questions. So, I have thrown myself headlong into some projects not of my own choosing but of theirs. I am surprised at how much I have enjoyed this because usually a project has to be mine in order for me to keep interest in it.

I’m rambling here, so its more of a long letter than a chat. I miss the daily chatter I had on R. But I don’t miss the political problems there. I feel disconnected from the fiber world at large during this time of fear. Our LYS still keeps such strict controls on its patrons so I haven’t returned there because I resent the restrictions.

I hope you all are having a lovely day. TTFN
    Katie

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Comment

• hereami
      hereami commented
      Editing a comment
      Fisherwife

I have gotten my stash down to a level where it is not irritating me. Most things in the stash I have a plan for. However, there are a few things that were given me I just have no idea what to do with. (antique: mohair, wool and Thin cotton thread)

Life has gotten in the way of my crafting the last few months so I have been a bit slower on this site and in crafting. However, recently I finished two projects and am almost halfway done with two others.

I thought about buying some cotton yesterday. I went into a trendy clothing store with my youngest. And there were quite a few cotton thin strapped t-shirts. Lol..then I remembered my age and size and the fact it would cost way more that $12 for me to make that.

I love you have a crafting group to go to. How did you find it? It sounds like so much fun.

My local Lyn still requires non-vaccinated people to wear masks and clean their hands. She almost jumped out at me the last time I went in. Before I got a good morning she was almost yelling..."Are you vaccinated?" I said, no, I had covid. I'm immune. That wasn't good enough for her and she asked me to wear a mask. That's fine. It's her shop. I had to ask her to fix her sanitizer dispenser. I refused to shop till I had cleaned my hands at her front door. It was a hot day and her AC wasn't fulling operational and she had no fans, the mask made it a bit warmer for me. So, I grabbed a small pattern book and walked around fanning myself the whole time. Bought my yarn and put the pattern book back on the shelf. She wasn't happy I had used it. But, I didn't even crinkle it and my hands were clean. She must have forgotten the fact that she needs to ventilate the room to keep the air fresh and somewhat germ free.

Have you seen that FiberKind has zoom meetings? I haven't been able to participate. However, I hear they are very fun.

• PurlgirlButtons
      PurlgirlButtons commented
      Editing a comment
      If you are free on Fridays 1-4pm EST, you can knit/crochet/sew/spin or chat and get to know some people here. Go to the Group Virtual Yarnies and Sign up for notifications. Each week Char sends out the invite and then sends the link to whoever responds. The more the merrier!

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Well hello there!! We love chatter here. And it is apparent we LOVE our zoom meetings. . That feels good and tells me I should renew our subscription!

We also have general monthly chatter that we talk about anything and everything - have you found that?

And we LOVE chatter - fiber related or not.

I hope to see you on zoom!

Thanks for the info. I started my local group, so that’s how we have one. We live in a rural-ish area about 20 miles from a small city. I’ll check out the chatter and the virtual group. A link might help me, I’m still trying to learn my way around here.
    I can totally identify about the cotton top. In theory it sounds great, but it would require a lot of yarn to cover me, at this point. My husband and I are trying to reduce.
    Katie

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Comment

Thanks!
    Katie

Comment

Gosh, I had hoped to see some chatter here to catch up with you all. I failed to get in on the virtual group, yet again. I’m caring for a ten month old baby most days right now because he is my great nephew and his mother, my niece, is painting my upstairs for me.

Despite the extra hours spent soothing a teething, cranky but sweet baby, I threw myself headlong into a new blanket project. I’ve set a very challenging goal for myself of hooking six rows of color a day which is actually 12 rows altogether. It’s not a large blanket, just big enough for one person to enjoy, or maybe two if they really snuggle, so it’s a manageable project. My goal is to completely finish by the first week in September. It’s for my daughter’s boyfriend and will be given to him for Christmas this year. I bought the kit of yarn and pattern from the wool warehouse and its a design by Lucy at Attic24. It’s written in UK terms, but its easy to just convert the stitches to US standards. I love the colors she chooses for her projects. This will be eighth blanket I’ve made from her collection. I also used the leftovers from those projects to make two beautiful battenburg blankets last year.

So, that’s what’s up down here in sunny Florida. It’s too hot to do anything but stay inside in the air conditioning, anyway. I hope to hear from some of you about your stashbusting projects.
      Katie

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        I am glad you found us in the chatter area

My best stashbuster project this month has been the Scraptastic Moving Bag by Yarn Geek. I went back to the video where she talks about making the bags. Hopefully this link works.

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD = 0, YTD = -420
      Stashbuster MAL 2020: -61

Comment

• DJM
        DJM commented
        Editing a comment
        The link worked for me. Wow what a large hook, you could really bust some yarn on these bags. Thanks for sharing.

• KnitsWithHorses
        KnitsWithHorses commented
        Editing a comment
        I really struggle trying to use the really huge hooks but I really need some of these bags! And as DJM said, that would definitely bust some stash! Might have to attempt it....

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X