LoveCrafts

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

2020 Stashbusting MAL

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 Stashbusting MAL

2020 Stashbusting MAL Guidelines

Well, it looks as if this party can get started!! We'll continue the MAL with anticipation of the site remaining active. 💗

Guidelines for the MAL are in this
    FILE.

Here's the basics: All yarn in your stash counts. If you have leftovers, it counts as a ball & it's worth +1 point when you use it up.

Whatever form new yarn comes in (skein, hank, ball, cake, etc.), it’s a skein added to the stash.-2

When a partial skein is used, earn +1 pt. When the remainder of the skein is used(which is now referred to as a “ball”), earn the other point. +1

Remember, this is just a way to keep us mindful to use our stash before buying more.

I do hope you'll join us!

Click HERE for a tutorial on "Signature" editing.
    Last edited by TexasPurl; 01-29-2020, 11:48 AM.
    Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD +14/YTD -418 (2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 38/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

“Properly practiced, knitting (& crochet) soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
    Elizabeth Zimmerman with edits by me

Oh - what fun! I was thinking 2020 needed to be a stash buster year for me, this will definitely help! :-)

Question regarding WIPs - I assume the partial balls in progress don’t count (?), but what about adding new balls to an existing project? :-)
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: -66; YTD -342

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Count any skeins or partials used up during the respective week. It's doesn't matter if it's a WIP. If it's in your stash today and you used it this week, count it.

This is going to be fun.

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      So happy to have you join us DJM!

I’m ready to do this, I will use leftovers for charitable projects for the homeless. Thanks for getting me started on a year of stash busting!
    Kathie from Indiana

2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD + 2, YTD + 125

Comment

This is encouraging me to use the whole ball instead of stashing leftovers. Yay!

thank you.
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: -66; YTD -342

Comment

Excellent idea! I have several WIPs that have been sitting on the shelf far too long and I want to finish them this year! (I'm not not going to try and figure out how this will work with skeins of yarn that I spin from my stash of fiber!)

Comment

Scores for Week 12/29 – 01/04

Please comment to this thread with your weekly score.
        Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD +14/YTD -418 (2019-642)(2018-109)
        Book Challenge 38/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

“Properly practiced, knitting (& crochet) soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
        Elizabeth Zimmerman with edits by me

Comment

• Natalia
          Natalia commented
          Editing a comment
          I knitted 200g of yarn (white cardigan), which gives me 4 points. No purchase this week, although today I received a t-shirt yarn for the pouf. But I bought it 2 weeks ago.

WTD +4 YTD +4

• lovestostitch
          lovestostitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Char - you knitted all that plus took over the site? Did you sleep? I think we should give points for sleeping! I might win then.

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          lovestostitch - well, that WAS before I decided to take over our crafty home. That week I was on vacation from my day job, lots of travel time in the car - you know - lots of free time to knit or crochet.

I haven't slept much since the decision was made (or considered), nor have I knit much, but I am actually going to do that here shortly. Family and time this evening.

I'm hoping to get started stash busting this week. Great job TexasPurl on our first week. You will definitely get me motivated..

Comment

• TexasPurl
          TexasPurl commented
          Editing a comment
          Happy to have you with us DJM! 💗

Where is an explanation of how to calculate points?

Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• TexasPurl
          TexasPurl commented
          Editing a comment
          In the first post of the thread, click on the word "File". It will take you to the guidelines for the MAL.

• lovestostitch
          lovestostitch commented
          Editing a comment
          TexasPurl - Thanks. I missed that.

I don't get the point difference between using up a skein or a ball. If you roll a skein into a ball and then use it up, it's the same thing. What if I wind a skein into a cake? The only time I wind yarn into a ball is at the very end when it is a tangled cake.

• TexasPurl
          TexasPurl commented
          Editing a comment
          lovestostitch - I use a simple method. Whatever form the new yarn comes in (skein, hank, ball, cake, etc.), it’s a skein added to the stash.

When I partially use that skein, I earn 1 pt. When the remainder of the skein is used(which is now referred to as a “ball”), I earn the other point.

Rolled the end of a tangled cake into a ball - 1 point?

I'm making an adult sized pair of pencil socks for my daughter so she can match my grandson. She is a teacher and wants them for Crazy Socks Days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3851A1E4-7C0D-4D99-9FC9-6A2EF91D6212.jpeg
Views:	227
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	38110
        Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

This is just the motivation I need to get started again! I've been in a fiber funk for a couple months now but I've got tons of stashed yarn. This sounds like a fun way to break my funk and clear out some odd ball yarn!

Comment

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL - I really like your user name.

Welcome to the fun!!!

• lovestostitch
            lovestostitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome! You could join a make along to help inspire you too. What do you like to knit/crochet?

• LottieDa
            LottieDa commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks so much! I love to Crochet mandalas, blankets, pillows, amigurumi, just about anything. I'm a novice knitter but have successfully made scarves and finger-less gloves. I also weave on a Rigid Heddle Loom. Mostly shawls and rugs at this point but when I have some time, I'll experiment further with that.

I found you again! lol, Guess now I can unjoin on fiberocity

Comment

• TexasPurl
            TexasPurl commented
            Editing a comment
            We're so happy you found us!

Yesterday I used a little over half a skein of Caron Simply Soft to make this Hat from a free pattern I found on Moogly called "The Ivy Hat" by Maria's Blue Crayon. I balled the leftover yarn. Not sure if there's enough for another hat. I'm pretty sure I used over half the skein. Anyway, here's my first FO of 2020!

Comment

• TexasPurl
            TexasPurl commented
            Editing a comment
            Great hat & beautiful color!

• knitter131
            knitter131 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have some of that color! Maybe I will make a hat with it as well 😊

• moescrochet
            moescrochet commented
            Editing a comment
            Which shade of simply soft was that? I have quite the collection, and am always looking for colors I may not have yet lol

Great idea! My plan is to knit at least a half of my current stash or =5 kg. And of course to buy less yarn (no more than 0,5 kg a month).

Comment

Just found this challenge. Good thing I can start at the Jan 1 number. DIL gave me a full tote of yarn at Christmas. Basically she tripled my stash!! I only count things when they are totally used up, so that means +2 when I finish the ball, cake, skein and -2 when my monthly fiber club arrives. Is there a way to count fiber turned into yarn. or is it neutral and I can just count the balls used when I use the handspun??
            Linda
            Stasbusting week ending 5/16 WTD = +0 YTD = +118

Comment

• Char
              Char commented
              Editing a comment
              crosstitchlinda I tagged you in a tutorial I did a while back - can you see if that helps?

• crosstitchlinda
              crosstitchlinda commented
              Editing a comment
              Char got it Thank You.

• Char
              Char commented
              Editing a comment
              If you need other help let me know.

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
          X