LoveCrafts

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

2020 Stashbusting MAL

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I received this beautiful yarn from Ewe and Dye yarn shop ElizabethClements sent me (Thank you!!!) It was the prize from the Sock Knitters United knit along from December.

I know it counts against my totals, but it is SOOOO worth it! So beautiful and soft. I definitely see some spring socks with this - maybe lacy spring socks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DF0C42F2-9F7C-4E4E-8ED3-24A235CB4630.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	39154
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD = +14 = +72

Comment

Does the size of the skein matter? I used up an entire put up of a yarn but it was only 20gm/80yards. This is how it came to me, so is that 2 points or 1??
    Linda
    Stasbusting week ending 2/29 WTD = +8 YTD = +52

Comment

I am going to try to finish some skeins before today is up. A little slow going (wonder why - HA!)

Comment

I received a prize of a ball of yarn -1

TexasPurl - I don't understand why a new skein of yarn = -2 but a new ball of yarn is -1. Is it supposed to be a quantity difference? I'm not sure what you would call my prize. I wouldn't call it a skein or a ball. It is kind of like a wound cake except it's oval.

Name:	91139BEF-6506-4A3D-B88C-95AC362257B0.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	39294
      Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        My understanding is a new package of yarn (skein, hank, etc) is 2 points, not new, partially used items are 1 point. When you use a new item part way and wind the rest into a ball for later use, you get one point. Then when you use up the ball you made it is the second point.

The points are the same plus/minus. If someone gives you or you buy a new skein, hank, etc it is -2. If someone gives you a partially used leftover portion it is -1.

• TexasPurl
        TexasPurl commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Char! You're spot on with the point explanation.

lovestostitch - Congratulations on your prize! I love the colors in that yarn.

I’m terrible at keeping score of anything. I’ve used a lot of yarn this year (since January 1) but I received 24 balls of yarn today that I ordered last year. I haven’t broken even on this at all. I’ll try to start saving the bands when I finish this week so I can keep track of my progress.
      Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul. It sings the tune without the words and never stops at all. ~Emily Dickinson

Comment

I just started this temperature lapghan, one square per month. A simple granny, I'm using the highest and lowest temperature for each month. I started with December 2019, and will end this November, in case I'd like to give as a gift. Beginning with new hanks of Cascade Heritage, hoping to use up several for my Stashbusters this year.

Name:	IMG_20200115_141130850.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	39672
        2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD = 0,YTD = +16

Comment

I finished the pencil socks for my daughter. +2 points

Name:	5B712499-665F-4E77-8EA9-C51E89180E87.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	39681

and wound the scraps into balls. Does that count for winding into balls? +2 pts.?

Name:	E5C496EA-CEB8-4DCF-AF25-3BF17272B033.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	39682

Char - I could have made the legs longer! I only used 38 grams of yellow for a sz. 11 foot.

Comment

• Natalia
            Natalia commented
            Editing a comment
            lovestostitch I agree with Char. As I understand the rules, you earn 4 points for socks (1 point for each colour). When you use the leftovers you will get another 4.

• lovestostitch
            lovestostitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Natalia - According to TexasPurl, my socks were worth 0 points because the skeins I used were not full skeins of yarn. She said used skeins of yarn only earn points when you use them up. I had five different colors but didn't use any up.

• Natalia
            Natalia commented
            Editing a comment
            lovestostitch I see. I thought you knit out of full skeins/balls. Still you have a nice pair of socks and you have used leftovers of yarn, double joy.

1 skein of yarn wound into a center pull cake. +1 point

Name:	4A910F43-6A68-49D8-BF74-A6B4A1B241C5.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	39755

Name:	56EB86B4-CACE-4CC3-992E-93F40F3E632B.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	39756

Comment

• TexasPurl
            TexasPurl commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you use a portion of it? If you did, then yes, +1. If you just took it from skein to a cake - no points either way.

This entrelac scarf is from Rosemary Drysdale’s book. Used the white and two different balls gray. http://www.sixthandspring.com/index....products_id=53
          it would be a great way to use up small remnants but I was not happy with how much it curls
          . Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	2 Size:	104.0 KB ID:	39767

Comment

• DJM
            DJM commented
            Editing a comment
            It's beautiful!!!

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            I understand about the curls, but it is gorgeous all the same!

TexasPurl - I'm really trying to understand the scoring. I put your two explanations here as I find them confusing as they don't say the same things to me. I put my understanding of the scoring below with some fill in the blanks. I think the most confusing part is the line below in red. If you get 2 pts for a whole skein, 1 pt for a partial skein and then the second pt when you use the rest of that skein, that equals 2 pts for however you use up a skein. Are you saying if you only use part of a skein and wind the remainder into a ball, you get an extra point for the winding since you will still get 1 pt when you use up the skein (resulting in 3 pts)?

From the attached file:
          • For every skein of yarn you use up completely, you get two (2) points. (A skein of yarn is a brand new bundle that you have bought at a store or its equivalent. If you roll it into smaller cakes or balls, it will still count as two (2) points when you use them completely.)
          • For every skein of yarn that you roll into a ball, you get one (1) point.
          • For every ball of yarn you use up, you get one (1) point.
          From post #1:

All yarn in your stash counts. If you have leftovers, it counts as a ball & it's worth +1 point when you use it up.

Whatever form new yarn comes in (skein, hank, ball, cake, etc.), it’s a skein added to the stash.-2

When a partial skein is used, earn +1 pt. When the remainder of the skein is used(which is now referred to as a “ball”), earn the other point. +1

My Understanding:
          Add a new skein to your stash = -2 pts
          Use up a full, unused skein = +2 pts
          Use up a partial skein = +1 pt

Wind remaining yarn into ball = +1?
          Knit a project using multiple skeins (but not completely using them up) =________?

Comment

• MBearMakes
            MBearMakes commented
            Editing a comment
            She means: Use up *part of a* skein and roll the rest into a ball = 1 point.
            Then you get another point when you actually finish the skein.
            Last edited by MBearMakes; 01-24-2020, 10:43 AM. Reason: edited for punctuation.

• lovestostitch
            lovestostitch commented
            Editing a comment
            MBearMakes - after talking to TexasPurl, I believe the rules are actually very simple. Correct me if I got it wrong TexasPurl.

Start with a new skein and use some = +1
            Use the skein up = +1
            Total value of using a new skein = +2

This means that if I had started with five new skeins for my pencil socks, I would have earned +5. The problem is that I used partially used skeins but didn't completely use any of them up.

I believe the scoring confusion is related to the reference to "rolling it into a ball" and the references to skein vs ball vs cake. There is actually no point gain for the rolling. There is also no difference between skein, hank, cake or ball.

I wind my skeins into a center pull cake before starting my project. Therefore, I am starting with a cake. When I partially use it for a project, I earn +1 for using some of it. I then continue to use the same cake for another project and finish it off. I earn my second +1 for a total of +2. If you buy a center pull ball of yarn and never roll it into a ball, it is still worth 1 point for partial use and the second point when you use it up.

• MBearMakes
            MBearMakes commented
            Editing a comment
            Got it! Thanks!

After consultation with TexasPurl, I'm correcting my totals. I earned 0 pts on the pencil socks because I didn't fully use up any skeins of yarn. I also don't get a point for winding a new skein so my total gain for the week is 0.

Comment

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            It'll get easier as we go.

If I leave the oversized box on my porch outside, does it count as adding to my stash?

Comment

• knitter131
            knitter131 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ooohhh! Does this mean our efforts to stashbust have been reversed? 🧶🧶🧶🤓🤓🤓

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            TexasPurl - well, it was a SUNNY 33 degrees when it was delivered... Now it is cloudy so maybe it had better be retrieved.

But - if I don't physically COUNT it until you get your anticipated box... LOL

knitter131 - it would appear OUR efforts to stashbust have been reversed.

• TexasPurl
            TexasPurl commented
            Editing a comment
            Guess who's going to the moon! What fun it is to open a new box of yummyness!

I can't give you too much trouble, I know my day's coming.

My first delivery of the day was this:

Name:	1D59EFDD-79C4-4D95-942E-EF4F22D7D3F3.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	40290

I believe there are 50! roses from a dear friend.

Then this box of sock yarn that is going to destroy my count for this week - except it isn’t all mine. :-)

Name:	DB8F5D76-C669-47C5-9EA0-47A7C56DF12C.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	40291

I haven’t I opened it though. 😇😇😇. I will before Saturday is out though!

Comment

Beautiful flowers!

Can't wait to see pictures of your new stash.

Comment

I'm so happy! I went over to Fiberocity and joined up there when I saw that this site was closing down. However, I'm sorry to say there isn't a lot of activity over there. Then TexasPurl told me that this site has survived. And lookee! Peoples!

I tried to stashdown last year, but didn't make a lot of progress. I'm excited about doing it with all of you. I did join Annie's Caring Crochet Club earlier in January, however. I think it will help me with my perfectionism, knowing that I have a particular pattern or two that can work with yarns I have and that can go to a good cause. I'm making chemo caps, and I have resisted the urge to add a stretchy headband to one of them, so I guess it's working. I have some yarn approved by Knots of Love, so that's good.

Yay! And Hey! to you all!

"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.” --Brian O'Driscoll

2020 Stashbusting MAL: WTD: +4 YTD: -2

Comment

• TexasPurl
                TexasPurl commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome back!

• MBearMakes
                MBearMakes commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, Char, Annie's sent me two skeins of yarn and two chemo cap crochet patterns. I used up that yarn making three caps. I went to the Knots of Love web-site and checked out their approved yarns, and I have some in my stash. My goal is to make as many chemo caps as I can this month to use up my stash. Then when the next kit arrives, I'll mail off all those caps and work on whatever that project is. This helps me to keep things simple, although I have to say I started looking around at other cap patterns as well. I'm having fun with it and I can't believe I'm making something that someone else will enjoy during a tough time (I hope).

• Char
                Char commented
                Editing a comment
                MBearMakes - I am sure they will LOVE them! Such a worthy knit for sure.

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
            X