LoveCrafts

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

2020 Stashbusting MAL

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My box is officially open. Here is the colors that we ordered. Some of these are multi packs, but are shared between my mom, aunt and sister. So - I will adjust my stash when I figure out what I have left after distribution. This should happen tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E43E6789-D9B3-4F6B-8D20-70CA1ED2C4EA.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	40559
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD = 0; YTD = +73

Comment

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      Char and lovestostitch You guys are awesome! 💕 Thank you for the encouragement and suggestions. I have a dvd (just waiting for me) by Susan B Anderson called My First Toe Up Socks but I have heard good things about Ann Budd too. I'll check it out! Maybe someday soon I will take the leap. 😊

• crosstitchlinda
      crosstitchlinda commented
      Editing a comment
      When I started knitting socks, I used Worsted Weight yarn and size 5 (US) needles. That way I could learn the construction without having to fiddle with small dpn's . My usual needle size is a US 00. I second the recommendation of Ann Budd's "Get Started knitting Socks". This and her MAster sock knitter book are my go to sock books.

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      crosstitchlinda Starting with larger needles is a great idea! I love working with sock weight yarn but it's those tiny needles that intimate me a bit! Thank you for the book recommendations!

Well, my mom rescued some yarn out of my stash. She will put it to good use for sure.

This is 20 skeins of I love this cotton out of my stash and into hers. 😈😈. She is not very happy with me right now.

Name:	10351005-2BC2-4D28-BACD-808F4AE360F9.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	40641

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      And she is still shopping. :-)

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooooh! knitter131, enjoy! 🚀🚀🚀

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have to say that Char has an awesome yarn shop. Really, she could open a store! I sometimes can't help myself. Today's stashbusting numbers tell the truth about this yarn addiction.

My Mom would always say do as I say not do as I do!!!

Comment

Ummm, uh oh!

Name:	Screenshot_20200128-065038.png
Views:	86
Size:	387.4 KB
ID:	40954
      Last edited by TexasPurl; 01-28-2020, 03:48 PM.
      Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD -72/YTD -156 (2019-642)(2018-109)
      Book Challenge 11/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

“Properly practiced, knitting (& crochet) soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
      Elizabeth Zimmerman with edits by me

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh no - the picture didn't stick. Can you retry?

• TexasPurl
        TexasPurl commented
        Editing a comment
        Can you see it now Char ?

Just found out about this group.
      Thank you knitter131

Looking forward to tackling my yarn stash this year.
      Step one was to force myself to actually look at it all and reorganize it.

I have two Wip's to finish up, then I can move on to the yarn stash.
      Recently lost my motivation to craft. So now have to rely on determination to finish the Wips.
      I gave my word on one of them...so I am working on it now. ...slowly.

Book Challange 8/50
      2020 stash busting WTD. 1 YTD.+5

Comment

• hereami
        hereami commented
        Editing a comment
        For those who might need this info. (but mostly talking to myself...cause I know I will forget)
        In order to add or change the stash busting info. Go to your screen name at the top choose user settings. The info you want to add/change is called a signature. Scroll down till you find it, relax...it is there with a pretty icon. (note to self...it is a called a signature not a footer or foot note.)

• TexasPurl
        TexasPurl commented
        Editing a comment
        hereami - I added the tutorial Char made in the threads for the MAL if that will help.

• hereami
        hereami commented
        Editing a comment
        TexasPurl
        Thank you for adding that.
        Thanks to everyone who is helping to keep this site working smoothly and helping us navigate it.

I'll take a moment to add if you need any other tutorials, I am happy to add some!!! There are others in the "Tech Support" section of the General Channel - It is marked "How Tos and FAQs". I suppose I could just provide a link. LOL

https://fiberkind.com/forum/general/...’s-and-faq-s

Comment

Those 3 boxes came in yesterday! My lovely friend shares her LYS stash with me. She closed her store 7 years ago and everything that didn't sell...she took home. She's my yarn angel.
        So, there's 57 skeins here. I need to learn the moon walk!

Name:	IMG_20200129_180808.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	41268
        Debbie

“Properly practiced, knitting (& crochet) soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”

Comment

• DJM
          DJM commented
          Editing a comment
          What beautiful colors!!!

• knitter131
          knitter131 commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, all so beautiful! So, I’m guessing I’m out of the competition for the moon walk this week?

• TexasPurl
          TexasPurl commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks @DJM!

knitter131 - it appears so. I'm polishing my dancing shoes now.

How much yarn do you figure is enough to keep vs toss? IE I have about 14 grams of worsted weight yarn. Keep or toss? It is a little bigger than a golf ball.... ho hum...

Comment

• knitter131
          knitter131 commented
          Editing a comment
          Char, I would he happy to take any little balls you have left that you no longer want. I use them to embellish hats or scarves for charity.

• lovestostitch
          lovestostitch commented
          Editing a comment
          If it is wool yarn, you can "spit splice" them together to make a fun, scrappy ball.

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          lovestostitch - no it is acrylic. I am going to make a c2c lapghan and make a blue strip, or trim in blue. :-)

crosstitchlinda

This is a great way to look at it. Also a frugal person over here. I have been known to take the time to cut open a lotion container just so I can use all of the remnants inside. I figure if I spend $12 on that lotion I am going to use it all up.

I end up using those small bits of yarn in my garden to tie plants up or create a lattice for them. After the season is over I toss the bits out. They normally are some kind of acrylic so I don't leave them out of the birds to take. My hubby prefers to use actual garden twine. Sometimes he wins and we buy some new twine. However, I would rather buy a new skein of yarn and use the leftovers for temporary garden projects.

I discovered I am not any good at making small circles. The last granny square blanket I made some of the squares came out from the center circle. I don't have emotional attachment to the project...so I am just going to take out the border and discard the falling apart squares.
        Book Challange 8/50
        2020 stash busting WTD. 1 YTD.+5

Comment

• TexasPurl
          TexasPurl commented
          Editing a comment
          Frugal is a good thing. I think many of my "habits" are derived from times when things were hard. It's made me appreciate so much.

When I was in college, Ramen was 10¢ & mac'n'cheese was 25¢. That's what was for dinner. I remember cutting open a toothpaste tube to get the last bit as well.

• crosstitchlinda
          Editing a comment
          I am also a beginning weaver. I take all the ends, you know where you tie onto the apron rods, and save them. I use them to tie up the garden and also to tie up newly spun skeins of yarn.

It's Saturday! - post your Stashbusting scores before the day is done!

Here's a link to this week's thread.
        Debbie

Comment

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          I was wondering when we would see your score update.

I don’t think I can sell knitter131 enough yarn today to get her to top that, but I tried! She is leaving with just a few leftover balls. Lol

• TexasPurl
          TexasPurl commented
          Editing a comment
          And I had my hopes up when you told me she was coming over to your house. LOL

It’s the middle of the week and I’m still a net zero this week. I haven’t finished skeins, but I have been getting some crafting done!

One if these days I’m going to finish 10 skeins all in one day. Lol

How is your stash busting going?

Comment

• knitter131
          knitter131 commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't say I'm determined, but at least saying I have a good start on stashbusting for this week. I don't plan to shop 😀😀

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          knitter131 - well, you haven't shopped at my yarn shop yet, so... there's still time.

• knitter131
          knitter131 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, you know your yarn shop is hard to resist.........

Does anyone else need WIP help? This is an interesting article about how to tackle the ever growing WIP pile:

The Gideon Method

Comment

Uh Oh..... I've been very bad. I went to Good Will this morning, and I found yarn. 4 - 50 gram skeins of 100% cotton for dishcloths, 4 soft worsted skeins in manly colors for hats, and........ Drum roll! 19 skeins of a beautiful soft white DK weight - all the same dye lot! I simply couldn't resist these yarn finds. I will count all this up towards what I'm sure will be my Shoot the Moon status this weekend. Total spent with tax was $12. I couldn't pass. It up! RIGHT???

Name:	IMG_20200211_121718565.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	42830
          2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD = -27, YTD = 0

Comment

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! Yes and excellent find. Wonder why you didn't get your daughter involved in this decision

• knitter131
            knitter131 commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't want to interrupt your day job ☺️☺️

• crosstitchlinda
            Editing a comment
            I wish you hadn't mentioned this!!! I'm visiting my daughter this week, and yarn just might happen and this tells me what number I have to stay under !! ( just kidding - I hope to buy little or nothing while here )

Oh, I totally messed up! I was just trying to figure out when I'm getting my next Crochet Cares kit, and I realized I did my calculations backwards for the YTD number. The first week I joined the MAL, my numbers should have been: WTD: 0, YTD: -6!!

I think I'm thinking of it like a card game where you want to end up with the least points, ie: receive stash? Add points!

I'm very sorry, but I should not have gotten the Bronze last week. My actual numbers last week should have been: WTD: +4, YTD: -2.

Michele
          2020 Stashbusting MAL: WTD: +4 YTD: -2

Comment

• hereami
            hereami commented
            Editing a comment
            It seems a few of us...myself included...are getting used to the rules/format.
            I completely forgot to join in the discussion and give my yarn count. I remembered to change my personal numbers on my signature...just didn't remember to sign in on Sat night.

I am sure we will all get the hang of this soon. )

• MBearMakes
            MBearMakes commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the encouragement!

Got home today to a nice surprise from DH (flowers) & my yarn angel. I am BLESSED.

knitter131 - you may not be going to the moon after all!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200213_163802.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.4 KB ID:	43204
          Debbie

Comment

• knitter131
            knitter131 commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, I’m thinking we could be very close, lol

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
        X