LoveCrafts

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Stashbuster ideas!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stashbuster ideas!!

I came across this and I thought it was a neat idea! A stashbuster pouf; I think it would make a gorgeous ottoman if you went bigger with it.

https://itsallinanutshell.com/2016/0...ochet-pattern/

Here's another idea for a stashbusting blanket, Tunisian style:

https://itsallinanutshell.com/2016/1...-stash-buster/

Feel free to add to this list!

I love both of them rkennell! That pouf would be so much fun!
    Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD +4/YTD -202 (2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 19/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

“Properly practiced, knitting (& crochet) soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
    Elizabeth Zimmerman with edits by me

Comment

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      I think so, too!

I am working through bags (yes bags) of leftover sock yarn in this miter square Afghan. I am having so much fun - and my son loves it, so it will be his...

Click image for larger version

Name:	71946E16-4A7F-4FF0-AB90-A49792C15AF4.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	38124
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD = -3; YTD = -62

Comment

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a neat idea as well! I love the idea of a stashbuster blanket!

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Char, I really like the blanket, what a great idea!

I am making scrappy scarves for the homeless with my little balls. Where there’s enough, I make an ear warmer. All these take two strands of fingering yarn, and an H crochet hook, so they are quick projects, My little tote of leftovers sits here right next to me, and I try to work on something each day. I can see its dwindling down.
    Kathie from Indiana

2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD - 0, YTD +39

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      I see knitter131 's YTD total going quickly into the negative. LOL

But it is for a good cause!

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      We need to help her get negative points - she is too fast a knitter!

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea!

Yeah, I thought of that too, lol
    Kathie from Indiana

2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD - 0, YTD +39

Comment

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      TexasPurl - the prize at the end of the year is a clean craft room! I just broached the subject of a craft room remodel to my husband. I have the worst hodge podge of storage units. I want one like you see on Pinterest. I want a storage wall with cute clear boxes - all labeled with cute labels. Hubby didn't act too excited but he does love tidy and organized so I think I can talk him into it.

I also want to paint the room. It has been the white that the previous owners used everywhere when they wanted to sell. It's been that way for 11 years! Time for some color! What color do you think a craft room should be? No yellow!

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      lovestostitch - What's this "clean craft room" you speak of? lol

My dream craft room would be in a pale lavender with my favorite doilies in frames hanging on one wall. Another wall would consist of cubbies like the yarn shops have for my stash. My desk of course. A sewing table. A spare table for blocking, etc. And a lot of good lighting.

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      TexasPurl - a clean craft room is what you see on Pinterest, not what you would see at my house. Good point about the lighting. Canned lights over the work surfaces would be so awesome. Right now I have three Ott type lamps I move around.

lovestostitch - maybe this will be inspiration for your craft room?

my Father in law made this for my craft room! Unfortunately I have more yarn that will fit, so I really need to Stashbust!!!

Name:	3B52A4A4-EB7C-444A-85A7-1CDEC4967C9D.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	38457
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD = -3; YTD = -62

Comment

• susanwayne
      susanwayne commented
      Editing a comment
      What great FIL! Have you filled this up yet? We'd all love to see it with your stash. Tell him we are all jealous!

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow wow wow! Do you rent out your FIL?

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      susanwayne - almost full.... and not all my stash is there yet. Lol. I need a step stool to reach the top boxes. 🤪

KnitsWithHorses - he is REALLY awesome to say the least. Not for rent, but is known for selling yarn bowls and such. He really loves wood crafting.

[QUOTE=rkennell;n38057]I came across this and I thought it was a neat idea! A stashbuster pouf; I think it would make a gorgeous ottoman if you went bigger with it.

https://itsallinanutshell.com/2016/0...ochet-pattern/

I tried making this as an ottoman for the back porch. I made it taller and wide enough for two people sitting in facing chairs. I paid special attention to her direction to keep stuffing after you think you can't stuff it anymore. I did that with 5 large bags of fiberfill. It wasnt enough so I took apart an old queen size comforter and used ALL of the stuffing from that. Sadly, it still wasn't enough as my ottoman was certainly sturdy (I'd used Scheepjes Stonewashed ends), but it just squished down too far to be comfortable as a foot rest. I bagged up the stuffing and it joined the UFO corner. I'm still deciding if I want to try again or frog it and make something else.

Name:	Ottoman.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	39348

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Good! Keep us posted!

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do. Have to wait for the foot of snow to melt so I can get to the containers.

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      You could possibly also use some old pillow for stuffing and then fill in around it with fiberfill. But I love your colors! Can't wait to see how that turns out.

I find this buster useful everywhere. You can make them any size to hold all sorts of things, from toys to mittens to socks and they can hold all sorts of things if you adjust the size. I make them with a long handle, a little bigger and deeper so I can hide/store UFO's in the closet below the top row of clothes. They make great stash bags themselves and you can hide/store UFO's in them. My local vet hospital likes them as well.

https://yourcrochet.com/large-hangin...ochet-pattern/
    Last edited by pinesprairie; 01-12-2020, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      What a neat idea!!

@pinesprairie - I was wondering what you could put inside to make it sturdier and found this HGTV page about fabric poufs. Maybe their method will work for you.

Stuff Pouf

Turn pouf right-side out (Image 1). Gather old towels, old sheets and old fabric from around the house to use as stuffing. Start stuffing the pouf (Image 2-3). It will look bumpy, but we'll smooth it out with polyfill. When the pouf is almost full, start to add polyfill (Image 4). Take a handful and stuff it down along the sides of the pouf. This will give your pouf a nice, smooth appearance. Keep adding polyfill until your pouf is smooth and completely full (Image 5). The fabric should be taut.

https://www.hgtv.com/design/make-and...c-pouf-ottoman

Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey thanks, lovestostitch. I took a look and that is very much like what I did. I I even cleaned my closet and used ...ahem... numerous pairs of jeans that were too small (wasn't gonna admit it the first time tho) and all the mysterious single socks went in. They got theirs smoother than I did but I still think with the size I made I'm going to need something solid or rigid on the inside or it's going to just squish down. I'm here to tell you, that stitch is stretchy. The more I stuffed it, the bigger it got. Taut fabric? I can't imagine how much of whatever else I'd need to get it taut enough. I just may have to frog (I didn't sew in the ends because I was in a hurry, didn't know if it would work and really, who would ever see?) and make it smaller. Now if I'd just followed the pattern, we most likely wouldn't be having this conversation!

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      pinesprairie - that one in the pattern didn't look like a functional pouf - just a decoration. My first thought was putting a cheap, hard foot stool in there and padding around it. I was thinking a plastic or wood one.

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooh, I like the footstool idea, that would certainly be sturdy. I will let everyone know how this one goes! Thanks all!

I am making the “Helen cowl” from https://www.interweave.com/store/kni...igital-edition good use of some worsted weight yarn, and great for anyone who likes slipped stitch colorwork. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	39593

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      That is very pretty!!!!

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      Besides being pretty, it's going to be nice and warm!

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      I do love that! I have some yarn that I am looking for that kind of a design and I might try it!

I could shoot myself but I started a granny square project. It’s called the Battenburg Blanket by Sandra Paul at cherryoak.uk. I’ve got a load of leftover stylecraft special dk from several blankets I made with Lucy from Attic24.
    Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul. It sings the tune without the words and never stops at all. ~Emily Dickinson

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Kathy7661 we have another battenburg blanket in progress. Fisherwife might need some moral support.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      How is yours coming? I also started one with DK yarn. I think it will wind up being a smaller lap style... but I am working towards a sock yarn version. :-)

Thanks, I can certainly use it. I worked diligently on it for days and then grew a bit bored and made a bunny and started another one and worked on another blanket. So far I believe I have used up the remnants from nine colors.
    Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul. It sings the tune without the words and never stops at all. ~Emily Dickinson

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Is the bunny the one in your profile picture? It is cute!

• Fisherwife
      Fisherwife commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes! He is a smaller bunny by Julie Williams Little Cotton Rabbits patterns. I named him Whipper, finished him two days ago and started his sister today. His little striped jumper nearly drove me nuts with all the weaving in of ends.

And Thank you!
      Last edited by Fisherwife; 01-14-2020, 08:35 PM.

Fisherwife Yes, the Battenberg Blanket is quite a commitment but just remember why you chose to make it...it's beautiful!
    I worked on it off and on through last year and hope to finish mine this year. I'm not pressuring myself to do it at all and if I want to work on something else, it's okay! It's really a lovely project to work on (imho). You get to finish squares quite quickly, change colors often and it's portable (for now). I often look at the picture of the finished blanket to get motivated again. I sure hope this helps, it would be fun to share our progress.
    Love your bunny!

Char ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Thanks for the shout out!

Comment

Just bumping back to the stop of the thread!
      Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD +4/YTD -202 (2019-642)(2018-109)
      Book Challenge 19/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

“Properly practiced, knitting (& crochet) soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
      Elizabeth Zimmerman with edits by me

Comment

I am a relatively new spinner so I had lots of handspun that was not enough quantity for anything that would fit me except maybe hats, and I don't like to donate handspun hats because you never know how they're going to be washed. So... I made a miter square blanket out of them!! I had previously made one out of leftover sock yarns but this one is worsted weight handspun.

Name:	DSC_0021.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	46776
        Attached Files
        Linda
        Stasbusting week ending4/4 WTD = +0 YTD = +94

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
          KnitsWithHorses commented
          Editing a comment
          That is beautiful!

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          Love it!!!

I should really get back to my leftovers now. Lol

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          This is stunning and will be an heirloom to your family.

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
      X