728 X 90
Accuquilt Dynamic Promo

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

2020 Holiday Craft Along - Chatter Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 Holiday Craft Along - Chatter Thread

Click image for larger version  Name:	christmas-penguin.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.5 KB ID:	790872020 Holiday Craft Along - Chatter Thread

For me, it is past the time to start thinking about Christmas giving. How about you?

Upon discussions with several of you, it seems as though last year's Holiday Craft Along was fun and inspiring for all of us, and I've decided to do it again.

We'll start here, feel free to begin the chatter now about what your upcoming plans are, and what items you need motivation to create. The "official" dates of the event are November 1 - December 31, 2020. Last year we came together as a community with donations for random prizes for chatter, and we kept track of finished objects, complete with a point system (1 point each for various things) and three winners from that list as well.

Chatter and finished objects are not limited to holiday related items and topics. I will put up a finished object thread on November 1st.

Let me know your thoughts. Did everyone like how it was done last year?

Remember - we all may need the inspiration you have to share.
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD + 0; YTD +417
    Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

This has been such a crazy year I haven't even thought about Christmas yet.
    But-- there is nothing to say we can't get some inspiration going and projects can be gifted next year on Christmas. Typically whatever I don't finish or get started in time I will begin in January, when life is calmer.

I have resurrected some crocheted and knitted pumpkins I put on the backburner last year, for Thanksgiving hostess gifts. Maybe now I can figure them out.

Comment

I decided to knit a hat for my son's best girl.

She rides horses and gets very cold mucking out stalls in the winter. My plan is a Lopi wool stranded hat with earflaps. The flaps and the part that touches her head will be lined with fleece in case she's a wool-makes-itch sort.

The yarn has arrived from Iceland. It's natural colors or lightly dyed and Lopi is only lightly processed as yarns go. My son says she'll appreciate those qualities.

I've been working on the design of the band around her head. I wanted a continuous loop of horses...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201018_133236540.jpg Views:	0 Size:	201.7 KB ID:	79867Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201018_141833403.jpg Views:	0 Size:	236.6 KB ID:	79868

The first picture illustrates the moment I realized that I was going to have a time of it as I tried to prevent an interruption in the horses.

The second picture is likely the final... The purple head on the right is the brown head on the left - it shows how the circle will overlap.

I hope she likes it - that's a whole afternoon I will never get back.

Comment

• mktspahl
        mktspahl commented
        Editing a comment
        oh, wow!

• Natalia
        Natalia commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful pattern!

• Snoogins
        Snoogins commented
        Editing a comment
        That is going to be amazing. Holy moly, your chart is off the hook. Love it!

Wow! I'm sure she will love it - how could you not?

Comment

I was hoping a group like this would turn up! I HAVE to start crafting for Christmas in the fall or I'd never get anywhere close to all the things finished. I am trying to be a bit more realistic than usual and stick to hats and scarves and, of course, stockings. I finished a sticking this week and I'm trying to get a brioche scarf going, which should be easy right? I've been messing around for two days straight trying to get decent tension and edges that don't look like my cat got ahold of it. I THINK I'm as ready as I'm going to get so wish me luck. FYI this swatch is actually quite an improvement. Lol I suspect one end of this scarf will be prettier than the other....
      Click image for larger version  Name:	20201025_121513.jpg Views:	8 Size:	196.3 KB ID:	80660Click image for larger version  Name:	20201030_164027.jpg Views:	6 Size:	93.5 KB ID:	80661
      Natalie from Oklahoma

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
      ~~Samuel Adams

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -44 WTD
      2021 50 New-to-me Books: 16
      National Craft Month: 2503 of 1760 yards

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	88888F3C-D734-4AD2-B323-C9D864AD89DA.jpeg
Views:	297
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	80678Click image for larger version

Name:	F389A4FE-028E-40F3-8880-39FD3EAE8A81.jpeg
Views:	290
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	80679

I just finished some Christmas masks. One for me (the 3D one on the left) and one for my friend. I recently saw her wearing a mask that did not fit. It kept climbing up her chin as she talked. I decided to surprise her with a new mask and I thought Christmas fabric would be fun. I also made some of the shaped ones for my daughter and grandson. I made all of them with casement sides so the wearer can choose to use a tie or elastic. I made some Christmas ties by crocheting a chain with Christmas themed yarn.
        Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• Hellokitten
          Hellokitten commented
          Editing a comment
          Those are so nice! I love the fabric too.

• KnitsWithHorses
          KnitsWithHorses commented
          Editing a comment
          These are so nicely done! And I love the cheerful fabric.

• pinesprairie
          pinesprairie commented
          Editing a comment
          That was so nice of you! The Christmas fabric was a great way to add joy, they are so cute!

Good morning! Time for the Sunday Morning Question.........

How many items have you made for yourself?
        Debbie

Stashbusting MAL WTD 0/YTD -372 (2020-712)(2019-642)(2018-109)
        Book Challenge 18/30 (2020-55)(2019-51)(2018-35)

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.
        Crochet Is My Yoga

Comment

• Steph
          Steph commented
          Editing a comment
          I do not know, because I do not keep track. I do have two blankets on my bed at the moment that I made, and several shawl in the closet, as well as several more shawls and blankets on the hook or needles.

• pinesprairie
          pinesprairie commented
          Editing a comment
          Surprisingly few as I make for others but a sweater and short cape to see if I could make wearables (they were promptly permanently borrowed by friends), a couple of winter scarves and a log cabin blanket.

• Hellokitten
          Hellokitten commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh my goodness. I can't think how many. Probably 75% of my creations were /are for myself. I've been knitting since 1956 although there were years when I couldn't knit because of carpal tunnel and other physical problems, raising small children, etc. Sometimes I could knock out a sweater in a week or two, but other times I'll take years to finish one. I truly enjoy the process of knitting first and foremost.

I have taught several people to knit over the years, too. Pass it on!

It doesn’t seem like it but I have made countless socks for myself, shawls, and I am sure other things as well.

These days I tend to make more for others, and that gives me such joy.

Comment

Not to be a party pooper, but as today is November 1, 2020... maybe we should migrate out of the October 2020 chatter and into November 2020 chatter (AKA Holiday 2020 craft along chatter)?
          Links:

Comment

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            qfknit - I don’t see it in the October thread?

• qfknit
            qfknit commented
            Editing a comment
            Char - it looks like the posts/comments have moved over to this Holiday Craft Along thread, now!

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for double checking.

Question for the Holiday Along: I do not do much gift crafting for family, but I do make items for Operation Christmas Child and other charities. Will those items count for this along, and if so, is there a minimum yardage requirement?
          Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD = +2, YTD = -447
          Stashbuster MAL 2020: -61

Comment

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            No minimum.

• lovestostitch
            lovestostitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Steph - I made a number of things last year for Operation Christmas Child. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make. Since I'm trying to stay away from Covid germs, I took the easy way out this year and made a donation so Operation Christmas Child could fill boxes for me. I will miss putting the handmade gifts in.

Not only will your gifts count, you get an extra point for any items going to charity!

I would say everything counts and no, no minimum. You should get double points for donation gifts, but that's not my call!!!

On another note, I am still looking for small sister-type gifts. We don't go all out, and everything has to be mailed, so small is kind of the key word.
          Spin de Fleece Total Time: 29 hrs Total Grams: 567 Total Yards: 861
          Stashbuster MAL WTD: (-20) YTD: (-1)

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
            Editing a comment
            Here's the link with 0-150 yards already plugged in. You can add lots of other limiting factors or just browse this list for inspiration.
            https://www.knittingpatternsgalore.c...150-yards.html

• lovestostitch
            lovestostitch commented
            Editing a comment
            I think coasters are a cute idea. I have seen ones that look like tea or coffee cups. I think they are really cute.

My son-in-law (he washes the dishes at their house) loves nylon crocheted scrubbies. A friend of mine made hundreds for her church bazaar. Wanting to support her, I bought some. I put one in my son-in-law's stocking and he loved it. He actually asked me for another one. I've used that Scrubby yarn to make scrubbies and I love them. I actually use them to scrub my hands clean after gardening. My friend's scrubbies were made with nylon tulle that she cut into strips. I've seen the Sugar 'n Cream has a version with some scrubby added into the yarn. I haven't tried it but it sounds like it would be nice.

• PurlgirlButtons
            PurlgirlButtons commented
            Editing a comment
            KnitsWithHorses, thanks for the link. That is a great resource.
            lovestostitch, my Aunt really liked the coaster set I sent her made from my handspun. My handspun colors are all pretty "electric" so might not be good for that, but I am starting to lean toward fingerless mitts. PS; It was the same Aunt who is now in nursing rehab.!

I'm working on a new knitting project, designing a new pattern with some of our yarn. Kinda forgot how much I enjoy doing this.
          Fiber Design Imagineer at the Maine Top Mill

Comment

I just set up the finished object thread. It explains the points and such. . Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

• lovestostitch
              lovestostitch commented
              Editing a comment
              But I can't think of anything else I will be making for Christmas. Since our gifts to family members won't be in person, I'm ordering from places that will ship the gifts directly to them so I don't have to ship them. I get depressed just thinking of this Christmas and no family. I'll have to work on filling the box I want to send to Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.

• Char
              Char commented
              Editing a comment
              lovestostitch - you can also work forward to birthdays and other “just because” gifts! ❤️❤️

• KnitsWithHorses
              Editing a comment
              I didn't know this was an actual "-along" or points or anything. Lol How fun!
              lovestostitch what about ornaments or home holiday decor?

I am dedicating my week to WIPs. I really need to finish a few. Lol

Here is my choice for today! I am beginning to piece together my son’s temperature blanket. ❤️🥰

Name:	9AF069BA-3BC9-446F-86EC-816A5C824EA7.jpeg
Views:	252
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	80909

Comment

• DJM
              DJM commented
              Editing a comment
              It's going to be awesome!!

• KnitsWithHorses
              Editing a comment
              Wow! That's a big project! Very cool idea to use the hexes.

• Char
              Char commented
              Editing a comment
              It is looking colorful already - I’ll post an update after I have two columns together.

Here is a picture of items made for Operation Christmas Child this year. I took the items to church today, it’s also a drop off location, to help fill other boxes.

Name:	F1927488-1964-40A4-8F75-109EB4E7ECC7.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	80914
            Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD = +2, YTD = -447
            Stashbuster MAL 2020: -61

Comment

• DJM
              DJM commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, look at all that color!!

• Steph
              Steph commented
              Editing a comment
              Any items that are not used for the church's boxes will be sent on to the processing center to help fill boxes there. Some of the boxes may not be packed full when they arrive at the processing center, but they are when they leave. Extra items, such as mine, are used to finish the packing.

• lovestostitch
              lovestostitch commented
              Editing a comment
              Steph - There's no way they could have gotten extra items in my boxes . I strategically packed them so I could squeeze in as much as possible. I can't even imagine not having a full box. They fill up so quickly. It's really nice that the processing centers have some extra things to put in skimpy boxes.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
          X