728 X 90
Accuquilt Dynamic Promo

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

July 2021 Chatter

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My WIPs

A cotton sweater: DROPS design: Pattern no e-208 = Candy
    https://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=5975&cid=17
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1011035.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	106068

And a vintage sweater in wool. I'm have some trouble setting-in the sleeves.

Name:	P1011042.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	106069

Comment

• Sommerfugl
      Sommerfugl commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you Knit2PSquare!

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Both are so pretty! I especially love the vintage one with the stripes and puffed sleeves.

• Sommerfugl
      Sommerfugl commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you rkennell
      I still need to get those sleeves sewn in....

I could use some advice. In 2019, I started a blanket project using large squares. I now have 4 squares finished, but I am unsure if I should join the squares and call it finished or make more. Unjoined, it measures roughly 36” x 38”.

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD = -7, YTD = -454
    Stashbuster MAL 2020: -61

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Pillows would be great!

• hereami
      hereami commented
      Editing a comment
      I am with the others. There are so many options available. I think you just have to decide how much longer you want to play with this yarn and this design.
      You started this a while ago...does it really hold your interest and spark joy? If not. Finish it up and find it a loving home. You are so close to several of the options according to the numbers lovestostitch posted.

Let us know what you decide. The squares are lovely.

• Steph
      Steph commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, everybody. Two of the finished squares were in storage, and I retrieved them when I was visiting at the beginning of the month. I really like working with this yarn, and I have enough for at least 4 more squares.

I will post the squares as I finish them.

It is Finished object friday! Does anyone have pictures to share?
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD + 0; YTD +417
    Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

Comment

• MBearMakes
      MBearMakes commented
      Editing a comment
      I am swatching for a new project -- working it up around my mom to get a sense if she likes the yarn...sneaky! But, nothing finished except computer games I regret to say. I dread taking out the yarn in front of the 7 month old labrador puppy.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      TexasPurl - it sounds like paradise. Invite me next time?

MBearMakes - I hope you find a workaround for the Lab. I bet he is a handful.

• Knit2PSquare
      Knit2PSquare commented
      Editing a comment
      TexasPurl you are hilarious! and it sounds like a lovely Friday night!

MBearMakes I feel the pain of the puppy! Mine is 5 months old, I work out of project bags so there is never much free yarn exposed!

I remembered I finished these three quilts! They are all going to the VFD for comfort quilts for kids.

Name:	23BB09F4-4000-4BCB-BCFF-B8DC58A691D7.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	106248

Name:	DCB60120-270D-457A-8F18-4955C97C9E48.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	106249

Name:	F939FFB6-6915-41DE-B530-E25785B5C8DF.jpeg
Views:	104
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	106250

Comment

• Knit2PSquare
      Knit2PSquare commented
      Editing a comment
      You are an amazing quilter, Char! and soo fast! Do you ever sleep? They are beautiful!

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Knit2PSquare - I can’t knit and crochet currently so I sew. I have an Accuquilt cutter which saves my shoulders for cutting the pieces. It is also a huge time saver.

Maybe someday I’ll have a long arm. These are all quilted using my embroidery machine. I’m enjoying that.

• Knit2PSquare
      Knit2PSquare commented
      Editing a comment
      Char - I had never heard of an accuquilter cutter, (I am not a quilter) but that is a cool machine!

My newest top, and it fits..

Name:	DSCN7447 (3).JPG
Views:	110
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	106265

Comment

• DJM
      DJM commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you all.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like it is perfect summer attire!

• DJM
      DJM commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

I finished another hat...

Name:	SockHat01.jpeg
Views:	109
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	106276
    🤓
    Currently Reading: Moon Called 📖
    Join us at WIZARDING SCHOOL 🧙‍♂️
    Blog: A Knit Hope ☕

Comment

• PurlgirlButtons
      PurlgirlButtons commented
      Editing a comment
      Adorable!

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      My first thought was "It looks like a "monkey" hat!"--and then I read your comment--so I'd say you accomplished your goal. I love the sock monkey projects.

• K2-Tog
      K2-Tog commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks everyone!

we're going for another 2-day sailing trip - I think I may have shared this picture before, but here it is again - so you can picture me sailing away

Name:	Donna1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	106369

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Enjoy your trip & safe travels!

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Have fun!

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      It looks like so much fun!

Has anyone done “quilt as you go” quilts? Does anyone have a favorite resource for this method?

Comment

What inspired you to learn to knit or crochet? Can you remember?
    How old were you at the time?
    Are you self taught or did someone teach you?

Comment

• Knit2PSquare
      Knit2PSquare commented
      Editing a comment
      Hellokitten - what an interesting topic!

My mother taught me to crochet when I was young, maybe 8-10 years old. I made one Barbie blanket and never made anything else. I loved to watch my mother make blankets for us though.

My senoir year of college I decided to make my boyfriend a blanket and so resurrected the crochet skills, or maybe really learned for the first time! ha! The blanket was an easy Chevron pattern, but I recall it being pretty wonky with gauge not being terrribly consistant.

Then between kids I wanted to make a crocheted hat and I feel like that is when I really understood how to crochet. I have a friend who is gifted in all things yarny and so she helped me out with a few things I had never done. After that, I wanted to knit becaue most items I wanted to make were knit, like cables! So pretty! So, I picked up a huge stack of books from the library, worked out how I was going to knit - cause there was no way I could hold the yarn in my right!, supplemented with youtube videos, and then once I had a very terrible rectangle on a very terrible pair of straights from the thrift store, I consulted my yarny friend once again!
      She told me I do everything "the lazy way" as I knit continental, but after learning to hold the yarn in my left for crochet, I couldn't change. She let me borrow some needles before I committed to buying any. I can now crochet and knit fairly well and can use books and the internet to generally do anything I need to, though I haven't done anything too complicated! I think my first sweater is coming up this year!

• crosstitchlinda
      crosstitchlinda commented
      Editing a comment
      Knit2PSquare You do not knit the "lazy" way. Anyone I teach to knit that already crochets, I teach continental, because that is how most crocheters hold their yarn. It is just another way, no better or worse than the English style.

• Knit2PSquare
      Knit2PSquare commented
      Editing a comment
      @crosstitchlinda...Oh I know! My friend was only kidding.😉

Here's the bag I made with the quilt-as-you-go technique, but it was on the bias. I just drew one line on the interfacing for the first piece. It' going to be a gift for my MIL's bday in a few weeks. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0340.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	106443
    Spin de Fleece Total Time: 29 hrs Total Grams: 567 Total Yards: 861
    Stashbuster MAL WTD: (-20) YTD: (+5)

Comment

• DJM
      DJM commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the bag.

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      That turned out really cute.

• PurlgirlButtons
      Editing a comment
      You should try this bag! It is super simple, not lined, but the zipper part is easy peasy. Little Bitty Bag by Kira Bell. She has a step-by-step tutorial. You don't need the exact zipper length, you can cut off the excess.
      http://kirabell.blogspot.com/2009/12...tle-bitty.html Pattern is free, .pdf.

So I really wanted to finish this sweater this weekend, but I ran into a little snag Friday night when I needed a contrast color for the edging and bottom 1" of garter or ribbing, or whatever I choose to use to finish the bottom. I decided a nice light gray handspun-looking yarn would kind of finish it off without looking out of the color order. So, of course, I had to dye the fiber and spin it, so that set me back a couple of days. Hopefully, I spun enough for the sweater, but I have an extra braid if I need more (just not spun yet.)

Name:	IMG_0338.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	106448Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0333.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	106449Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0339.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	106450
    Spin de Fleece Total Time: 29 hrs Total Grams: 567 Total Yards: 861
    Stashbuster MAL WTD: (-20) YTD: (+5)

Comment

• PurlgirlButtons
      Editing a comment
      Yes, Carlota, I did, I just haven't had the chance to try it yet. I'm decluttering, so I will have to pick wisely!

• PurlgirlButtons
      Editing a comment
      I did the bottom (decided to go with the pattern, which was garter stitch) Now trying to decide if I should finish off the short sleeves with (when I knit them) grey and a few rows of garter. It is going to be short-sleeved, so the gray, although I think it looks really cool next to all of the colors, may draw the eyes away. It'll be on the front edges, though in i-cord, so thinking it might make it look cohesive if I do use it on the sleeve edges. I can see myself wearing this over t-shirts; black, white, any of the colors in the sweater. I stayed up too late last night working on it and got in trouble, but I am really anxious to get it done.

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, super - no rush - I know what you mean about choosing in a purposeful way as I'm doing the same. Let me know via PM if any problems.

My projects for today:

Rhubarb Custard Pie with rhubarb from my garden.

Name:	2358569B-C15E-4B96-AD2A-587B10C5D250.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	106545

A new insert for my napkin holder. My dad made this napkin holder for me in the '80's. I still love it. I put in seasonal inserts and I made this one to coordinate with this tablecloth we've been using. Anyone have tips for getting wrinkles out of tablecloths? It has been washed a couple of times but that hasn't taken the wrinkles out that it came with.

Name:	96B00C39-7DD9-405F-88D8-673395E70059.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	106546

Name:	1549FC75-D716-452B-A29E-37DDF6A5EA3A.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	106547

Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Ohhh - can I have a piece of pie? I love rhubarb…. I can’t find any hear. I want to grow some…

• crosstitchlinda
      crosstitchlinda commented
      Editing a comment
      Must be pie day!! I made my husband a couple of blackberry pies with berries he picked on Monday.

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      hereami - I'm afraid to iron it. These fabrics melt so easily or get shiny. I do have a steamer so I'll have to get it out. It's a project since I'll have to hang the tablecloth somewhere.

Char - Rhubarb is soooo easy to grow. My only tip is that you get a start from someone who has an old rhubarb patch. My experience with the stuff they sell at stores is that it just isn't as hardy. I bet if you put the word out that you were looking for a rhubarb plant, you would get lots of offers. Anyone with a mature patch is always in need of thinning it out.

Name:	400F82C0-398C-45BD-9A23-30253BC75804.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	106657

hereami - One end has holes drilled through it so the dowels come all the way out. I made two "rod pockets" (can't think of a better word for it) on the insert for the dowels to slide through. The other end has notched openings for the dowels but they can't go all the way through so you just slide them in and secure them in the notched holes.

Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• hereami
      hereami commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for explaining.
      What a wonderful gift from your dad.
      A treasure for sure.

It is WIP Wednesday! Anyone dragging out some of those UFOs? Or need motivation to finish those UFOs?

I am working with Tina - my niece - on her first quilt. So - I started another quilt top. I also have some additional quilt tops that still need quilted. Maybe by the end of August I’ll have everything quilted and I can work on one project at a time.

oh - that was funny!!!!

Name:	6A3C5451-3E05-41BC-9106-31D73CC7E977.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	250.4 KB
ID:	106696

Comment

Happy WIP Wednesday! I don't have anything to share today, but I'm quite happy to gaze upon the work of others. 😊

Char - please refer to this POST 😂
      Debbie

Stashbusting MAL WTD 0/YTD -372 (2020-712)(2019-642)(2018-109)
      Book Challenge 18/30 (2020-55)(2019-51)(2018-35)

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.
      Crochet Is My Yoga

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        😂😂😂😂😂

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X