728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

August 2021 Chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August 2021 Chatter

Good morning, all!

Here is an August thread for general chatter.
    Tell me something good!!!

Stashbuster MAL 2022: WTD +0; YTD 20
    Stashbuster MAL 2021: +435
    Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

Well, I just hit the yarn store up here in Michigan!! I hit a 10% off sale which really adds up when buying 23 skeins of yarn. Yes I said 23. All but 5 are 100% wool for the hats for sailors. The other 5 are cascade fixation for baby socks so... unless I knit 24/7 I'll probably be dancing this week!!
    Linda
    2022 Stasbusting week ending 8/6 WTD = +24 YTD = -580
    2021 Stash busted +194
    2020 Stash busted +160
    Book Challenge 2022 25, 4nf

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
    The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost" JRR Tolkien

Comment

Happy First Friday in August everyone. Hope you are all well and happy.
    I finally finished up some things this week.

-The green pillow looking thing is really a scrap car blanket. Two knitted rectangles, one with an extra pouch. Once folded I slipped the blanket into the connected pouch.
    -The cowl has been on the needles a year or so. Wool and going to be great for this winter.
    -The pink shawl/scarf was made with unknown yarn from my stash. My guess is that it was yarn for a baby blanket. It works perfectly for this. This is a gift for a dear friend who just went through a double mastectomy, was told no chemo...then told she needs 12 weeks of chemo, then some extra at home chemo for a while. Breast reconstruction is taking a while.

I am thinking of making her a head covering for her time with chemo. She isn't looking forward to loosing her waist length blonde curls. Poor dear.

I found a pattern for a turban wrap that looks like it may work. Cause she can make it as tight or as loose as she would like. I have no idea which kind of yarn to use. Anyone have suggestions? Or should I just purchase her a silky scarf?
    Attached Files
    "This woman has fought a thousand battles...and is still standing. Has cried a thousand tears...And is still smiling. Has been broken, betrayed, abandoned, rejected, But she still walks proud...laughs loud, lives without fear, loves without doubt. This woman is beautiful. This woman is humble. This woman is ME!" _Pinterest: unknown author

2022 Book Challenge 35/50
    2022 Stash Busting WTD +4 YTD +68

Growing Zone 9b

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses
      Expert Crafter
      KnitsWithHorses commented
      Editing a comment
      Your cowl is so pretty! For the chemo hat, i took hats to the tulsa cancer center for years. Sadly it closed recently. The ladies there most loved the Cotton bamboo blend i used. It isn't made anymore but there are lots of great cotton bamboo blends. Most of the ladies preferred the hats to be made in lighter weight yarn but everyone has their own preferences but you actually know the recipient personally which could help.

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl
      Expert Crafter
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty projects!

I've found the Lion Brand Coboo (Cotton/Bamboo blend) is some of the softest I've ever worked with. I believe it's a DK weight. It's also approved by Knitted Knockers.

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover
      Expert Crafter
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      These are fabulous!

Hooray! I finished a four-years-long project, Sweet Dreams Stocking by Dimensions.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210805_185530.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	107624
    I also started a new llama toy Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210805_214133.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	107625
    And I got some yarn (on cones) for free from the local Art Center.

Name:	IMG_20210805_185955.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	107626

2022 Stashbuster MAL WTD +3, YTD -10
    Reading Challenge 3/24

Comment

I was saving this for FO Friday, especially since I hardly ever have a FO! This is my handspun, approximately sport to DK wt on #5 needles (?) Fiber was Knit Picks Stroll Roving, so superwash/nylon. I'm somewhat happy with it. I do love how the gray looks with the bright colors. If I had to do again, or if I ever get a deep desire to fix it, I would make the neck smaller. I think I could easily pick up and knit. But since it is summery, I will leave it for now. I'll try to get a picture with it on soon.

Name:	IMG_0380.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	107641
    The best time to wear a striped sweater is all the time. -SpongeBob SquarePants

Comment

We talk about all kinds of things on our Fiberkind Zoom Chats. One of our topics today was gnomes! I think I morphed from discussing my tomato plants growing up and out of my 5 ft. tomato cages to fun craft projects to make from the cheap tomato cages.

Here's a good website that describes how to make the gnomes using a tomato cage and evergreen branches.

https://www.hometalk.com/diy/decorat...nomes-44090290

I suggested we have a Gnome-along for the holidays! I need to find a tomato cage before they are all gone from the stores.
    Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses
      Expert Crafter
      Editing a comment
      How fun! I don't know if I'll find a cage at this point but I'll have a look around next time i get to town.

• hereami
      hereami
      Expert Crafter
      hereami commented
      Editing a comment
      That is adorable. So many possibilities.
      Believe it or not I have a child who is terrified of gnomes, or anything that looks like one. (except for the movie Gnomeo and Juliet)
      Wonder if the adult child will be terrified of this? I hope not, it would be adorable on the front porch this year.

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch
      Expert Crafter
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      hereami
      Expert Crafter
      hereami - Maybe helping you make an evergreen gnome would change his/her opinion of gnomes!

For FO Friday. Better late than never, I finished these socks late last night. I made them for a wedding we were attending this weekend, but we aren’t going after all. The yarn is shimmery, will be a nice pair of dressy socks 😊

Name:	44BCBDE7-264D-45DD-B838-6019228673F4.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	107674
    Kathie from Indiana

2022 Stashbuster: WTD 0, YTD - 58
    2021 Stashbuster: YTD +41

Comment

Here’s the little Gnome family I made a couple years back- Gnaneek, Gnony & Gnoy 🍄

Gnoy & Gnaneek had some out and about photos taken. Gnony was busy that day 😉

Their first family photo:

Do you enjoy word games? If you do, you should totally come join us!

We have DUELING 🤺 & EXPLODING SNAP

Click on the game names & it should take you to them. If it doesn't, let me know & I’d be glad to help you find your way to fun 😉

You know you're curious! Come & play 😁

Comment

lovestostitch
    Expert Crafter
    lovestostitch we discussed having a gnome make along. I think it would be fun!!! Anyone else interested?

Comment

Shall we “name” August as gnome month or wait until September to give everyone time to find supplies, patterns, supplies, etc?

Comment

• hereami
      hereami
      Expert Crafter
      hereami commented
      Editing a comment
      Will it be here in the monthly Chatter or in a separate area?

• Char
      Char
      Administrator
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      hereami
      Expert Crafter
      hereami I'm thinking the monthly - hopefully easy to find, and we gather here regardless of the craft.

• happyfox74
      happyfox74
      Expert Crafter
      happyfox74 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m game for any month but I do agree that for those who want to do evergreen porch gnomes, later in the year would be better but I also wouldn’t want anyone to lose any enthusiasm they have right now 😉

Another gnome idea…

Name:	Gnome.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	107763
    The best time to wear a striped sweater is all the time. -SpongeBob SquarePants

Comment

Imagined Landscapes has a good variety of Gnome-y stuff. Most of her patterns cost 7.00 CAD ($5.84 US) and a couple cost 9.00 CAD and she has a mitten pattern that is for free called Go Big or Go Gnome. It’s a color-work pattern of gnomes. You can click on her name above & it should take you right to all the Gnome patterns she has. Just in case anyone is looking for variety.
    Do you enjoy word games? If you do, you should totally come join us!

We have DUELING 🤺 & EXPLODING SNAP

Click on the game names & it should take you to them. If it doesn't, let me know & I’d be glad to help you find your way to fun 😉

You know you're curious! Come & play 😁

Comment

• happyfox74
      happyfox74
      Expert Crafter
      happyfox74 commented
      Editing a comment
      I know, she only does knit designs. Sorry about that but when we were talking about it in Zoom, her stuff came to mind right away. She’s a huge lover of all things gnomes 🍄 I’m certain you’ll find some absolutely adorable crochet gnome patterns. I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

• K2-Tog
      K2-Tog
      Expert Crafter
      K2-Tog commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the link! I need knitting suggestions.

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses
      Expert Crafter
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the link. Her patterns are super cute and the clever, punny names pull you right in. 😁

I am thinking I’ll make this quilt:

You Gnome I Love You

I just have to decide what fabric to use. MSQC did a tutorial you can find here:

MSQC tutorial

Comment

Some cute crochet gnome patterns here:

https://www.allfreecrochet.com/Croch...Gnome-Patterns
    ​"​​​​Be with those who help your being "- Rumi

Comment

Have you seen the military garden gnomes?
    https://www.gardenfun.com/marine-gnome.html

Here is a crafted one.
    https://i.etsystatic.com/16611658/r/...85897_6kzh.jpg

There are gnomes for everything out there. Doctors, health heros, police, etc...

"This woman has fought a thousand battles...and is still standing. Has cried a thousand tears...And is still smiling. Has been broken, betrayed, abandoned, rejected, But she still walks proud...laughs loud, lives without fear, loves without doubt. This woman is beautiful. This woman is humble. This woman is ME!" _Pinterest: unknown author

2022 Book Challenge 35/50
    2022 Stash Busting WTD +4 YTD +68

Growing Zone 9b

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses
      Expert Crafter
      Editing a comment
      It's funny you posted that. I needed inspiration cuz I was thinking about making a gnome that is a tribute to my deceased brother Dave. He was a veteran and I teased him that he reminded me of a gnome. We only met in our early 50s and he passed away from a motorcycle wreck at 58 two years ago. My sister and I searched for him for decades and when we finally
      found him it was like a puzzle piece just slipping right into place. I miss him and want to make something for his wife. She has a beautiful garden with gnomes in it and I told him that she fell for him because he reminded her of her gnomes and it was a joke between us from then on. A military gnome would be perfect.

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover
      Expert Crafter
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m so glad you found him, I can’t wait to see your gnome.

• hereami
      hereami
      Expert Crafter
      hereami commented
      Editing a comment
      KnitsWithHorses
      Expert Crafter
      KnitsWithHorses I am so glad you found Dave and had some wonderful laughs with him.

Please post a picture when you have completed your gnome.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
X