LoveCrafts 728 X 90
YOUR AD COULD BE HERE!

Click here for details.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

May 2020 Community Chatter ๐ŸŒธ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May 2020 Community Chatter ๐ŸŒธ

Here is a thread for May 2020 Chatter. For those of us in the northern hemisphere spring is in full force, flowers will begin blooming, and weโ€™ll all look forward to getting out for some summer sun. In the southern hemisphere you are likely headed into your winter colder season. May you always have warmth in your home and your heart.

We all need positive vibes, inspiration and uplifting moments shared. Share your projects, your flowers, or whatever else moves you. I look forward to seeing what May brings.

Char
    Knitting is happening here! โค๏ธ

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: -18; YTD -264

Happy May everyone! My goal this month is to finish a WIP, any WIP will do. I currently have 5.
    1. Mills Cardigan in Malabrigo Worsted...Needs sleeves & shawl collar.
    2. Bag Lady Bag...Needs pockets & straps.
    3. Edie Tee in Dream Baby...Almost at sleeve separation point.
    4. Bruges Lace Doily...making flowers for outer ring.
    5. Stay Longer Sweater in Cascade - Fascination...Just past the sleeve separation.
    6. Fishtail Wristwarmers in Wool Tree Yarn Merino Silk...1/3 of the way on 2nd. (Found with stash, notes say I started in 2015 )
    We'll see what this list looks like at the end of the month!
    Last edited by TexasPurl; 05-03-2020, 08:23 AM.
    Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD 0/YTD -646 (2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 48/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, Iโ€™m just trying to figure out how to tempt you further in the sock area. :-)

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm waiting for that Edie Tee....

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking forward to seeing some pics! Sounds like a lot of them are getting close to the finish line! Btw, socks are a nice on--the- go project! (Just trying to help Char out. ๐Ÿ˜‰)

Good afternoon!!! I am donating 50 more masks today to a local nursing home. Then on to the next two orders. :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	E6C99FAA-1197-444C-82ED-C561412B1694.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	52975

Comment

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, you are so productive.

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      Holy cow! (Can I say that here?) You work at warp speed, although once you get a rhythm it's not so bad. So I'm imagining all the recipients that will be so grateful to have a mask, and a very nice one at that. Thanks for doing this for others, Char, it's such a kind thing to do.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Awww - thank you guys. I havenโ€™t done much of anything else. I donโ€™t believe I have even finished the towel I have been working on. There is such a need.

Hi, everyone ๐Ÿ˜Š. We have a beautiful, partly sunny day here in Indiana, doors and windows are bringing in the fresh air.

Iโ€™m getting back into my normal routine, but surely was not as productive in my yarn crafting this week. I have a lot of WIPโ€™s and hope to get to them next week. Iโ€™ve been trying to do some more stashbusting and will continue this next week. Two types of yarn Iโ€™ve been using up to make scarves, and Iโ€™m getting close enough that I needed to stop and plan my next moves before continuing. If I do it right, I will have enough leftovers to make a charity scarf or two.

Only one pair of socks completed this week, with another pair on the needles.

My next fun projects will be some baby layettes with baby yarn Iโ€™ve been purchasing little by little. Hopefully later this month.

So far Iโ€™ve set up for two new scarves with a lace weight very soft acrylic yarn. Two strands makes a very nice scarf. Here are my plans, hopefully to complete in the next week or two:

Name:	IMG_20200501_153948219.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	52982Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200501_123728027.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	52983
    Kathie from Indiana

2020 Stashbuster: WTD +28, YTD + 187

Comment

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty colors!

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      They are both going to be really pretty.

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      You are just cooking here!

Well, I am pleased to announce that I have finished my Battenberg Blanket!!!

Name:	IMG_2840.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	53019Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2858.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	53018Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2851.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	53017

Comment

• patipoint
      patipoint commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful! I have just begun working on mine! Using left overs from all the socks and lots of ordered and in the mail white. Gotta love all the ends to tuck in! You should get a gold star!

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      patipoint Thank you for the nice comment! Yes, there any many ends but if you take care of them as you go it's not too bad. ๐Ÿ˜Š I look forward to seeing your progress!

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      patipoint, I look forward to watching your project's progress, this is such a beautiful pattern.

I went off the UFO a bit and did a quickie baby blanket & washcloths. Also, finally got a pic of the bit of Mandala Madness I came down with.

Name:	For a Babe.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	53032Click image for larger version

Name:	Mandala Madness.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	53033

Comment

Hello everyone ๐Ÿ˜Š

So, Indiana is prepped to begin opening with caution Effective Monday. DH and I will be staying at home at least until we can see the affect of this, probably at least until end of May.

Another beautiful day here, with a high of about 80. Doors and windows open.

i finished a couple of small things this morning, bringing my stash buster numbers up a bit. WIPโ€™s for this week are 3 Crochet scarves, a pair of socks, a knit cowl and a knit lace wrap. Goal is to make good progress on these projects before starting anything else. However, I have some beautiful DK in White and shades of gray thatโ€™s just itching to become a mile-a-minute lapgan. Hhhmmm. We shall see.

have a good day, stay safe

๐Ÿงถ๐Ÿงถ
    Kathie from Indiana

Comment

• Hellokitten
      Hellokitten commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish California would reopen. Some are doing it anyway here. We have no cases in my area.
      It's not like I go anywhere but I haven't seen my kids in months. We were going to travel more this year;, look how that worked out!

Primarily I want things to reopen for the working people. (We're retired.). I m really worried for the many people who have lost their incomes. This is horrendous for so many. And the economy is really going to slide. It will take time to catch up again and get back to where we all were.

My son who teachers doesn't see how kids are going to social distance when they go back to school. They are already so crowded and can't afford more classrooms and teachers. Plus kids just naturally group together. it's going to be interesting.

• qfknit
      qfknit commented
      Editing a comment
      In some areas, the concern to re-open quickly is not based solely or primarily on economic concerns... but on health concerns.

Unfortunately, many areas are forgoing routine medical tests, regular doctor appointments, treatments including cancer treatments, and "scheduled" surgeries: Only COVID-19 patients are seen.
      This despite hospitals having plenty of capacity.
      It seems arbitrary & capricious, and the health of many is at stake.

Meanwhile, hospitals are under-utilized, losing money, and down-sizing...
      meaning that they may be unable to see many patients once the lockdown is lifted.

It makes no sense.
      Doctors want to see their patients.
      Patients want to see their doctors.
      The government is keeping them apart, to the detriment of all.

• qfknit
      qfknit commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll add that a desire to re-open is also often a desire to preserve our rights.
      Here's a link to the April 27, 2020 Memorandum by Attorney General Barr:
      Balancing Public Safety with the Preservation of Civil Rights

Good morning!!! I hit a bit of a road bump in the mask making. Power went out!!! Oh no!!! I thought I would weave for a bit but instead I think Iโ€™ll clean the sewing table, and piece things together. I have twenty more pieces together ready to be sewn.

Off to the cutting and piecing stations I go!

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      You know it is bad when the power returns, the worker climb down off the pole, and the large pop happens. Poor guy looks back at the pole all confused.

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Yikes.

• Hellokitten
      Hellokitten commented
      Editing a comment
      Char That's sad.

More masks with a purpose completed today! :-)

Off to get my table cleaned off and start the next batch.

Name:	95D270B0-653D-4755-9C0E-2E0F418FA5D9.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	53192

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      pinesprairie my DH and kiddos do an excellent job taking care of me. :-)

Everyone in the house is contributing. We have stations set up, it is cute - most evenings you can find all four of us at a station. The boys are learning an amazing lesson about giving back and chipping in however we can.

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      I love that you have the whole family involved!

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      What a great family project.

Good morning, everyone! So, my WIP'S are sitting, and I couldn't wait to begin a lap afghan with some new yarn I purchased.

Nothing on the agenda today besides laundry and more of the same. Weather today is sunny and cooler, but still warm enough to open things and let the fresh air in.

Here's the first row of the afghan, it will he a total of 12 squares, checkerboard. The squares are approximately 14" each, for a total size of 56" long and 42" wide.

Name:	IMG_20200504_081448448.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	53254
    Kathie from Indiana

Comment

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      This is going to be nice! Do you know who you will give it to?

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Kathy7661 ๐Ÿ˜Š. lovestostitch, I have no one in mind. I might actually keep this one ๐Ÿงถ๐Ÿงถ

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice!

The 2nd earwarmer I made from the Whims Merino I received with the Furls hook using the Star Stitch.

Name:	IMG_20200504_172237.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	53287
    Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD 0/YTD -646 (2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 48/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      pinesprairie ~ Thank you! I liked the hook, though it feels a bit too chunky in my hand. I suppose it'll take a bit more time to become accustomed to it. So many years using straight aluminum & steel hooks. I'm sure my hand will thank me in years to come if I make myself use the ergonomic hooks now. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      TexasPurl I know what you mean. It took me quite a while to get accustomed to the size as well. It does make me hold/use the hook a bit differently though which supposedly is the purpose.

• babajayne
      babajayne commented
      Editing a comment
      So cute, love the color! I had my eye on those fancy hooks, but I rarely crochet now that I knit.

I'm preparing for my first grocery shopping trip in months. I wouldn't go into a store except we really need a Costco stock-up and Costco doesn't have curb side pickup. We will be out of dog biscuits soon and that would not go over well! I don't want to carry a purse and worry about having a germy purse. I decided I needed a bare minimum, washable purse that could carry a credit card, hand sanitizer and my own pen. I saw some different ideas on Pinterest and really liked the ones that made the sanitizer ready to squeeze, Here is my first try. The strap is long for making it a cross body.

Before assembly:

Name:	B3AF36D3-C043-4AF4-AA11-D959E2A5FFE8.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	53303

Name:	A1152217-83AD-42DC-88A9-0CC1CAFDF4D4.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	53304

Name:	DBFD8247-56D5-4585-80F6-A03F6A55D09F.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	53305
    Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea! Looks as though it will work for you nicely!

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea!!

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      This really is a good idea. I might have to make a couple.

Thatโ€™s so cute! Looks pretty easy, too ๐Ÿ˜Š
    Kathie from Indiana

Comment

We went to the beach yesterday.

Name:	20200504_165556.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	53318

โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹
      Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the blue sky, white clouds and yellow sun are the reason most people love those colors together.

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks lovely!

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        It is, we love living this close to the beach.

Can I just take a moment to say how wonderful you all are?

ok - you are WONDERFUL!

Char

Comment

• Lemming13
        Lemming13 commented
        Editing a comment
        And I'd like to say the same back to you - your mask making factory is amazing, and your work as admin here is amazing. Three rousing cheers for Char! (and Texas Purl, and all the other hard working mods and admins).

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you everyone

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        And a HIP, HIP, HURRAY for Char โค๏ธโค๏ธ

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse