LoveCrafts

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

June 2020 Chatter ☀️

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

qfknit Your allium foliage is so different from mine. I thought you would be interested in seeing what mine looks like.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9F60FDB7-5E5B-4A62-B8D0-1A7754093E37.jpeg Views:	9 Size:	339.9 KB ID:	59468
    Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      pinesprairie - The best part is that our dogs discovered a rabbit's nest under the bushes I trimmed and where I whacked the hose. It was not good news for the babies they pulled out before I saw what they were doing but they didn't get all of them so there are definitely rabbits right there to blame.

• qfknit
      qfknit commented
      Editing a comment
      We have a variety of alliums.
      I believe the small stand of alliums I posted photos of are "globemaster" alliums.
      Possibly our most interesting alliums are the "Nectaroscordum siculum."

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      qfknit - I looked up that Allium. That is neat. Alliums have proven themselves to be one of the best rabbit proof plants in my garden.

It rained all night.... and this is after 1/2" evaporated once the sun came out!

Click image for larger version

Name:	No more rain!.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	59506

Comment

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      Char, yep, there's one of those too & wooden spoons so you're on the right track. I haven't gotten to where I play them all at once yet though....always something to learn!

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      Songwriting! Well, we just learned something new about pinesprairie !!
      I admire people like you with such talents.

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      Kathy7661 Thank you. I don't play as often anymore but the writing is still in there. It causes you to look at things a bit differently and that's why it sometimes "spills" out. It's funny because I admire people here with all these expert crafty talents - how many times have you seen me say "I'm not a (fill in the blank)"?

Finished this Asymmetrical Shawlette today. Knit with Lion Brand Shawl in a Ball, I used about 2/3 of the ball.

Name:	IMG_20200629_075555209.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	59567
    Kathie from Indiana

2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD + 5, YTD + 156

Comment

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      You seem to use Shawl in a Ball a lot, is that a favorite?

• Natalia
      Natalia commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful!

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, everyone 😊. pinesprairie the Shawl in a Ball yarn isn't my favorite, but it gives plenty of yarn for even a good sized shawl. The colors are beautiful. This is just my 2nd shawl with this yarn, and I have 3 more balls to use on shawls.

And I started this Shawlette today. I’ve knit this pattern 2 or 3 times, but can’t find my printed pattern to give the name. Piping on the straight side, and increases on the other side, with 100% wool sock yarn, Debbie Bliss Botany Lace.

Name:	C6FEBDFF-6C09-4EA4-BE3B-7A4A0738CA18.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	59570
    Kathie from Indiana

2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD + 5, YTD + 156

Comment

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      This is a wonderfully nice, rich color but I don't think I'd have the patience you do for the lace weight.

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks everyone. I also really like this yarn, it has such a wonderful feel to it, but not squishy as I would normally use for socks. It was shouting shawl, so that’s what I’m doing. Sock yarn is probably my favorite weight of yarn to use whenever i can, as it’s easier on my hands.

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sock yarn has become my favorite too, ever since doing the Battenberg Blanket. So much easier on the hands and I really like the drape and final results using it.

Good morning! Last night I finished one direction of my stitching together the granny square. Today will be the length wise. Trying to decide on a boarder. Hmmmm

(Kitty photo bomb! Size Wise keep in mind Bailey is 17+ pounds - so a large bread cat)

Click image for larger version  Name:	F38527A8-62C4-4963-847C-D47637BEBBF4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	168.2 KB ID:	59630
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: +10; YTD -258

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      I am thinking one single crochet of the variegated, then dc cream, and maybe a dc green after that? Still letting it roll around some. Anyone have suggestions?

• Hellokitten
      Hellokitten commented
      Editing a comment
      Connection looks good. I would favor a simple dark border.

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't tell what color the dark is. Is the dark join the same color as the dark in the squares? It looks great.

ETA - just saw the answer below!

Here’s a close up of the joins - not green, but hopefully still meets the approval :-)

Name:	F42E3E4D-64FF-4A83-81E6-311D7861D553.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	59657

It is the variegated I used in the center of the squares:

Name:	0EAE9DBF-C603-46BB-BE15-A97C105C59A1.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	59658

Comment

Pretty. Glad you were able to use the join.
    Susan from NJ is glad to be here

Supporting Pine Ridge Reservation one donation at a time!
    www.FriendsofPineRidgeReservation.org

Listen with ears that hear

Comment

So, I'm wondering what everyone thinks of carrying yarn when doing colorwork? I don't like to see the carried color through the stitches and aside from using bobbins, haven't found a solution. Is there one?

Comment

• TexasPurl
        TexasPurl commented
        Editing a comment
        None that I've found. I think I've tried every which way to bobbin my yarn. They're all cumbersome.

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Knitting isn't "so bad" (I know - I say that...) Knitters can do intarsia or fair aisle - or even double knitting if you want both sides pretty. Crochet... I wonder if there are intriguing gingham patterns that would have good techniques to use.

• DJM
        DJM commented
        Editing a comment
        Not a fan of my own carrying yarn colorwork skills. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who would like to find an easier way.

I agree with you pinesprairie I would rather have many bobbins going (actually I don't use bobbins) than see the yarn carried peeking through the stitches of another color. When I have a lot of quick color changes, I work with long strands of yarn rather than balls or bobbins. In this way, when it gets tangled, as it will, I just pull that strand up and out of the tangled mess freeing it.

Another way to see what I mean is picture a single width stitch (sc, dc, whatever) of color 1, then a single stitch of color 2 and then back to a single stitch width of color 1 again. I would work with three strands of yarn working them up on each subsequent row rather than carry yarn 1 across yarn 2 to be used again. There a few more tails to deal with, but for me, it's worth the extra effort.

What say some of the more experienced people here? How do you all deal with this situation?

Comment

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't use real bobbins either - I'm really old school and just use wooden clothespins. I can clip them to the bottom or sides and keep them from tangling. I used your exact method on the Fiberkind heart for the Birthday Blanket but sometimes when there is only a single stitch for a long in a color it's hard to hide the ends. I just keep thinking there's got to be something better.

• susanwayne
        susanwayne commented
        Editing a comment
        @pinesprairie: I tried the clothespin method but I'm too lazy to clip and unclip each color. I let the balls, strands tangle as they may and every once in a while, I take a little time to untangle them. There's something satisfying about doing the untangling too. Like untying knots or a skein that has barf in it. Yes, I'm the gal that is willing to do that for others.

If I can find it, I'll post a picture of what my yarn can look like before I de-tangle it.
        Last edited by susanwayne; 06-30-2020, 02:59 PM. Reason: Added a thought.

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        susanwayne I used to do that but eventually got tired of the untangling. It seems we all find a way to do what we want in a way that works for us. I also find the more I crochet, the more it's become about the process as much as it is about the finished piece.

I have finished the joining and a sc crochet border, but can’t decide what I need to do further on the boarder.

Suggestions?

Name:	5400C2B9-B02B-485C-9D59-F28A5C294602.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	59722

Comment

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        This looks wonderful, I can't comment on a border as I don't crochet.

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe a broader round of either of the dark colors so it'd be like a picture frame?

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        I vote for more border. I think it can be either a thick dark border or the cream color.

Maybe like this? A little pin stipe?

Name:	DBC55881-F6EE-46ED-9AF0-D6999FA37A27.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	59735

Comment

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        I need to read the whole thread before posting. I like your sample border.

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        lovestostitch - its ok! I ended up doing the edging shown here. It was just soaking in softener and washing now, soon to dry and pack away. :-)

• susanwayne
        susanwayne commented
        Editing a comment
        Perfect edging. You have a good eye! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Love your squares. I think the picture frame would be a nice finish. Even two or more rows of the granny stitch in black would do it. I think the whole thing would pop.

But it's great just as is....just a matter of how much more you want to put into it before starting your next project! haha

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes - I have purple, white and gray hexagons calling me!!! And - I can't take too long as this is for my nephew who is getting married Friday.

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        Congratulations to your nephew and his intended!

Char Cutting a bit close aren't you? You must be a fan of yarn chicken too. :}

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol - I’ll finish with a couple days to spare. Considering I didn’t find out 10 days ago, I was pushing it to start with.

Need more notice next time. Lol

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X