This is the UK affiliate ad
LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

September 2020 Monthly Chatter

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

💟Hello all....I have been a bit absent this month. Just wanted to pop in to say I love how supportive you are to one another. It is so nice to come on here and see not only the lovely work completed so far in September, but also the kind comments and the encouragement you are giving.

I am sorry to have missed so many conversations.
    I hope:
    ~@helloKitten is well now.
    ~ all those who are traveling are safely home.
    ~ all those affected by the fires are safe from harm.

Stay well...and as safe as you can.
    Thank you again for making this site a breath of fresh air and place of Kindness. It is so refreshing.
    Book Challenge 38/50
    2020 stash busting WTD. 2 YTD. 27

Comment

• qfknit
      qfknit commented
      Editing a comment
      hereami - a great thing about online forums is that conversations can be added to, over time. They do not need to "end" as they age. Please feel free to chime in as you wish.

BTW, you're in good company. Several of us are also here only intermittently. And when we are here, may tend to read more than post.

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with that sentiment whole heartedly. And I hope you are feeling well too!

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for being one of the many who make this community such a special place.

The Charity Crafters group is having a Hat-a-thon from September 15th through October 15th, so if you're interested in making one or more hats for the charity of your choice join us in the chatter thread and share your plans.

Tomorrow I'll start a finished hats thread and share the beautiful yarns MrsDanielleWilson is donating as prizes for this wonderful cause.

Happy crafting everyone!
    Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
      Editing a comment
      For years I would make "Kitty cat hats" but since people made those a political statement, much to my annoyance, as those were a great, easy way to teach people to A) knit in the round and B) make hats! And they were adorable on little girls! I still occasionally make them, I just don't make them pink. :/

• Hellokitten
      Hellokitten commented
      Editing a comment
      I always made hats without patterns. I was a child and didn't have patterns for dolls, ,so I just made what I wanted.

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm currently making several long term things so a few hats will be a quick project for me. Hats are also great for using up leftovers, small balls of yarn can make stripes.

Good evening all...

I thought I would let you enter into my way of thinking with a couple thoughts.

1) for my upcoming retreat I think to myself “I should just bring WIPs - that would be a good way to devote time to work on them”.

10 seconds later:
    2) what projects do I need to start to make that happen.

I’m hopeless I tell you... completely hopeless
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: +27; YTD -246

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      lovestostitch - it is social. I had a great time last time I went. There is an area that has lodging, and a community room where we all gather. This one is in the thumb of Michigan - she does it every year.

I have recently thought about organizing a retreat. It is kinda hard with everyone so far apart though.

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Char maybe we could do a virtual retreat! I would be happy to help organize 😊

• TeaNSugar
      TeaNSugar commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha...funny!

Hello everyone! Happy Tuesday!!!

I hope this finds you well. I am pretty much finished working today, so yay! I decided to cast on a hat to contribute to our Charity group's Hat-a-thon they have going on. I decided I wanted something smallish to brush up on my brioche before diving into designercheryl 's Fall Shawl KAL - I really like her Brave and Kind shawl. Her freedom Crescent Shawl is also beautiful.

ETA - I also decided to try magic loop against my "normal" - so my hat is done in this method.

Hope your day is going well!!! What is going on in your neck of the woods?

Comment

• MrsDanielleWilson
      MrsDanielleWilson commented
      Editing a comment
      I started a hat worked flat and seamed because that’s not my favorite way to crochet hats but I recently started a knitted baby blanket From a YouTube tutorial so far so good!!

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      i look forward to seeing your blanket!

Good morning!

Time to share those WIPs! We'd love to see what you're working on this week.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0067.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	73766
    Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD -8/YTD -650 (2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 45/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

“Properly practiced, knitting (& crochet) soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
    Elizabeth Zimmerman with edits by me

Comment

So, I do have a couple of WIP’s where I’ve made lots of progress since last week - my Gwendolyn shawl is complete through the 4th chart, one more chart to go. The “Close to You” Shawlette is about 2/3 finished.

Name:	A88F6FBB-49E9-4B1E-8E8D-4D18EE2376B7.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	73775Click image for larger version

Name:	63686390-E9D6-42A8-8DED-903DC7A30DAB.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	73776
      Kathie from Indiana

2020 Stashbuster: WTD - 6, YTD + 174

Comment

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, everyone 😊😊

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        I've said it before but I'll say it again, the Gwendolyn is truly an heirloom item, it's so delicate and pretty. I really like the Close to You pattern and yours is going to be a beauty!

• TeaNSugar
        TeaNSugar commented
        Editing a comment
        Very pretty!

Good morning!!

I finished two hats for our hat a thon yesterday and cast on another.

Name:	B6411CBC-3175-4AB5-BDCC-9C42E3F05091.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	73785

Name:	E7F81B20-C595-47CA-BC29-C88C4E14EA8D.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	73784

Comment

• Rose the Rebel
        Rose the Rebel commented
        Editing a comment
        I like your pom pom, did you make that?

• MrsDanielleWilson
        MrsDanielleWilson commented
        Editing a comment
        Goodness I’m still halfway through the hat I started on Monday! Way to go Char

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you everyone Rose the Rebel I did not make it. Amazon purchase from about a year ago.

Had a busy day today - still working on the hat but maybe tomorrow I’ll finish extra again.

Wow. That is fast.
      If I do decided to try to make a hat it is going to take me a lot longer than that.

They are lovely. Thank you for showing the one you started. I have been seeing people make hats with multiple knitting needles. So seeing it with your circular helped me relax a bit and consider more possibilities.

I am making slow progress on my WIP. A shawl I showed a while back. It is a bottom up shawl. Very simple and relaxing. I am at the part where knitting a row seems to take a long time. I don't mind...I have been sitting, knitting and watching old black and white Sherlock Holmes on YouTube.

Book Challenge 38/50
      2020 stash busting WTD. 2 YTD. 27

Comment

• DJM
        DJM commented
        Editing a comment
        I always say Slow and Steady wins the race.

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        I love Sherlock Holmes! I have the complete set of books in print and audio books and the old black and white movies are the best ones!

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m using the “magic loop” method. First time really getting it down. It is a good thing for me.

It sounds like you are taking the time to enjoy your knitting so that is a good thing.

Something pumpkiny today - we'll see what it ends up being!

Name:	Pumpkiny.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	73819

And a fall bonus...

Name:	Color.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	73820

Hoping everyone has a great day!

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Ah okay! I use VC a lot, especially for afghans. It comes in SO many nice colors!

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Oohhhh - I look forward to seeing what this grows up to be

Will you keep us posted on your fall foliage? I really would love to see all the pretty colors.

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        Char, Yes ma'am I will post fall foliage pics. The Canadian geese are already starting their migration (it's really loud when the honking of the bigger flocks fly overhead!) and a lot of the little feathered friends have already left. It seems very early this year which means the colors will be spread out.

Today's WIP is a hat.

Name:	20200916_122701.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	73831
      Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice neat stitches. You'll be done in no time.

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        This is beautiful yarn! Do I recall you making a shawl out of something similar? Maybe this is the same yarn...

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks everyone, I do love making hats.

Char, I am using a Katia Air Luxe yarn which has a sheen to make the Gwendolyn lace shawl. This is Red Heart With Love Metallic, but they are similar in color.

Trying a Tunisian hat. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0543.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	73852

Comment

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't crochet.

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        FreedomLover - that's ok - it is kinda like knitting too.

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        FreedomLover, I can't knit but I think it's more like knitting than crochet. If you can knit, you can do Tunisian!

I'm not staying in one place enough the last couple of days for anything large or complicated so portable projects it is. I'm working on my pencil socks and a ribbed hat.

Name:	20200916_160633.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	73856 ​​​​​​​
      Natalie from Oklahoma

"Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." MLK
      Stashbuster MAL 2020 YTD +43 WTD -3

Comment

• DJM
        DJM commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow!! Looking good.

• Rose the Rebel
        Rose the Rebel commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great, you are so busy!

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        These look great, sometimes time away from the large projects is a good thing.

I am still working on my enterlac piece that will hopefully someday grow into a sweater and I just started another scarf on my loom. I thought I'd try a hounds tooth pattern this time. 🐕

Name:	20200916_181234.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	73915
      Attached Files

Comment

• Rose the Rebel
        Rose the Rebel commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you pinesprairie I love enterlac cuz I am a little ADD app I never get bored. Plus it just looks cool. The hounds tooth is not hard at all. It just basic weave, the warp is 2 strands blue 2 strands tan etc. Then the weft is 2 rows tan 2 rows blue and the yarn just carries up the side so no tucking yarn ends until the shuttle runs out. I was surprised the pattern was so easy peasy!

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        I love both projects! I knit houndstooth mitts a while back and may need to weave a scarf to match them, for the few cold days of winter we have here.

• Rose the Rebel
        Rose the Rebel commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you FreedomLover you should weave a scarf to go with your mitts, even if you don't have any cold days you can hang them out for decorations!

My wip Wednesday is this baby blanket start. This lykke needle doesn’t slide the yarn well and it bothers my wrist a bit so I ordered chaigoos to try those.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Rose the Rebel
        Rose the Rebel commented
        Editing a comment
        Also, you can try just wiping the needles with a damp cloth then dry. Put a little baby powder in your hand and rub on the needles. Cheap fast tricks that make your life easier are the best 🙂

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        MrsDanielleWilson, I ended up with the Knitters Pride Dreamz. I think they worked for a few of us. If you do end up with wood needles/hooks, investing in some Carnauba Car Wax might be an idea. It's supposedly the best wax for a car but works wonders on any wooden tools. I've used it for years on a set of hand crafted hooks as it was highly recommended by the hook maker.

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        I LOVE my Chiagoos, I hope they work for you.

So this morning I suddenly realized that ever since I got my L'Acadie cardigan out of hibernation, I've been in the wrong place in the chart. Every row I've knit since then is off. So I had to tink back about 14 290-stitch rows of cabled cardigan! 😭 Needles to say it has not been a fun morning but I'm proud of myself for immediately fixing the problem because I seriously considered putting it back in hibernation rather than dealing with it. But if I had done that, chances are very high that I never would have finished this sweater and I WANNA WEAR IT!
      I think I need more coffee.....
      Natalie from Oklahoma

"Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." MLK
      Stashbuster MAL 2020 YTD +43 WTD -3

Comment

• DJM
        DJM commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree you will feel better that you are fixing the problem and will wear the cardigan when finished. Can't wait to see your progress. Coffee (or tea in my case) fixes all problems. LOL

• Carlota
        Carlota commented
        Editing a comment
        Negative knitting is worse than ripping off a bandaid but does set things right.

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh Geez! That's a lot of stitches to tink! I too am proud of you for addressing it immediately. I think I had so many UFO's because they were problems and I didn't want/know how to deal with them.

Carry on! It's a new start.....

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X