LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

October 2020 Chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

October 2020 Chatter

Welcome to October!

Here in the US we are unofficially entering fall weather, the leaves are turning beautiful colors. Pumpkin spice seems to be everywhere we look. It is my favorite season.

Wherever you are, I hope you are blessed and healthy!
    Knitting is happening here! ❀️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD +106; YTD +246
    Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

Happy Thursday everyone! What are you up to today?

I'm working for a short spell this morning, then hoping to go do a garage visit with mom.

Took the cats to the groomer - boy was that a chore! They were not happy at all, but I'm sure it will make them feel like new kitties.

Comment

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      I ran errands this morning and this afternoon I've got some housework and more knitting on my Gwendolyn Lace Shawl.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds like awesome days!!!

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      It must be pet day. I'm taking one dog to the vet for lab work and the other dog will go along so she doesn't drive my husband crazy. When mommy leaves with her sister, she howls until we come back. If hubby and I leave the two of them home, she is fine but being left with just daddy is not good enough - even though he plays ball with her and dispenses way more treats than me! The vet does curbside visits. They come outside and get your pet. We will just be waiting in the car - knitting!

I'm starting a second helix hat, a little larger this time, and a pair of orange socks. 😁
    hereami hers a photo of the top of my helix hat. I've done helix hats with different brims and tops but this is my standard.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201001_102833.jpg Views:	0 Size:	117.7 KB ID:	76695And here in the inside. No yarn carried up or anything. I love how neat it is inside too.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201001_103720.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	76697
    Natalie from Oklahoma

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    ~~Samuel Adams

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -34 WTD -12
    2021 50 New-to-me Books: 16
    National Craft Month: 2503 of 1760 yards

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses commented
      Editing a comment
      Char one thing I tripped up on with my first attempt was ignoring the advice to NOT twist the yarn when picking up the new color. You don't"pick it up from beneath" or twist and it really does come out nicer. You just snug the new color up a bit when you pick it up. This is a super easy technique. Also it looks odd for a few rounds and then suddenly it doesn't. It's magic! Lol

• TeaNSugar
      TeaNSugar commented
      Editing a comment
      Cute! And I love pink so it is extra cute to me.

• Rose the Rebel
      Rose the Rebel commented
      Editing a comment
      I am going to have to try this. I saw some pics of crocheted helix hats and they looked really cool

I got in the dyeing mood so I dyed one skein for my October socks. It's still soaking as I used way too much dye in my desire for an intense spicy orange. Now I'm washing and washing, trying to get rid of the excess dye.

Since I was in the mood, I dyed some sparkle yarn for my December socks. I decided to try the technique where you dip your skein into the kettle of dye a section at a time to get a gradient. It's still cooling but I think it turned out well.

Name:	DA4803C4-F3F0-4701-B21B-779A7997BE67.jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	76815
    Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      hereami - It's so fun to dye. I think it helps if you don't have an exact requirement for the outcome. I haven't dyed anything that I didn't enjoy. Food dyes are easy to use because they aren't toxic and the only thing you have to worry about is not making a food coloring mess.

The sparkle is really pretty. I'll try to get a good picture today but it is almost impossible to get the sparkle to show up in a picture.

• TeaNSugar
      TeaNSugar commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice job on the gradient technique! It does look look fun to do.

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      I too like the gradient and am looking forward to your socks!

Happy Friday everyone! I slept in today - apparently I needed that. Time to get up and moving now.

Don’t forget to share your Finished Object Friday!! I didn’t finish anything, but my socks are just past the heels. So - next week I should have a FO or two.

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy Friday to you too!

Name:	received_632441250970996.jpeg
Views:	249
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	76916Click image for larger version

Name:	received_1448913511970424.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	76917 So this is what's going on at our place today. Guys from church and my kids and a couple of grandsons are building a 16 ft permanent, sturdy ramp on the tiny house for Robbie. No zoom for me today but big blessings! 😁

Click image for larger version  Name:	received_342879723813193.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	68.4 KB ID:	76904
    Natalie from Oklahoma

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    ~~Samuel Adams

Comment

• Rose the Rebel
      Rose the Rebel commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm happy to see all the helpers, and really impressed that your husband is able to walk already!

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't ask for more than that!

• KnitsWithHorses
      Editing a comment
      Thanks everyone. We are feeling very blessed today for sure. And I am doubly so with all of the support from y'all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_9568.jpg Views:	4 Size:	61.3 KB ID:	76909Click image for larger version  Name:	image_9521.jpg Views:	4 Size:	96.7 KB ID:	76910Click image for larger version  Name:	image_9477.jpg Views:	4 Size:	160.8 KB ID:	76911Click image for larger version  Name:	image_9639.jpg Views:	4 Size:	152.2 KB ID:	76912Click image for larger version  Name:	20200929_230532.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.2 KB ID:	76913 I finished some hats this week! Hopefully I'll finish some socks and work on my WIPs this next week.
    Natalie from Oklahoma

~~Samuel Adams

Comment

• hereami
      hereami commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow...that's a lot of work finished this week. Good job.

• KnitsWithHorses
      Editing a comment
      Thanks everyone! I'm thankful we were doing the hat k/cal as it was just the light and easy but interesting project I needed while I was stressing out.

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      What a great collection of hats!

My yarn is dry and I'm happy with my dye jobs.

This is my spicy orange:

Name:	A7EFC9FF-0785-4670-89F4-292D2AB4FEE2.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	77040

and this my glittery gradient pink:

Name:	FE56788A-BABB-4AD1-A3D4-F0EE51B4C404.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	77041
    Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Both look great! What are you going to make with the sparkly pink?

• hereami
      hereami commented
      Editing a comment
      wow. Amazing colors. Great job. Do you have projects in mind for them?

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      The sparkly pink will be for my December socks. Instead of a specific color for December, it is any color of sparkly yarn.

Good morning! Time for the Sunday Morning Question.........

What is one crafting project that you've been procrastinating on?
    Debbie

Stashbusting MAL WTD +4/YTD -162 (2020-712)(2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 17/30 (2020-55)(2019-51)(2018-35)

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.
    Crochet Is My Yoga

Comment

• Lemming13
      Lemming13 commented
      Editing a comment
      I've got two major naughties - an afghan I have been making for my son since 2018 (my excuse is it is squares based on his favourite games and he keeps changing those!) and a mystic lanterns one for my daughter on the go since last October (I ran out of yarn and the online yarn store ran out of stock of what I needed till last month).

• KnitsWithHorses
      Editing a comment
      I have a couple of afghans that I haven't touched since we moved out of it house over 2 years ago. Lol one is a knit log cabin pattern that is over half done. I really should get it out! I completely forgot about those when a bunch of us got out UFOs out last month. πŸ™ƒ

• Snoogins
      Snoogins commented
      Editing a comment
      My sister's sweater. 😬

As promised pictures of the heirloom blanket I am working on for my youngest. Each color has 2 different block styles. Teal, pale green and peach and they will be crocheted together with a cream colour.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Rose the Rebel
      Rose the Rebel commented
      Editing a comment
      That is just going to be gorgeous! The colors go together nicely!

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      This is going to be stunning!

• hereami
      hereami commented
      Editing a comment
      They are going to love these. What special gifts you are making.
      Thanks for sharing the pictures with us all.

My project that I've procrastinated on to a ridiculous degree is the Christmas stockings. I wanted to make one for each member of the immediate family. I got about 6 done and kind of burned out. Partly, I think, because I was designing them myself and getting a bit elaborate. Which was fine for my daughter's but I am down to mostly the boys and they will be happy ( maybe happier) with something simpler. The one I made for 8 year old Ryley is completely unsuited to her now at 13. Did I mention I started this about 6 years ago? Now the problem is I really don't have much yarn that looks even remotely Christmassy. And no Yarn (or Christmas) budget this year. But just typing this has brought a couple of ideas into my head so maybe I'll at least get a couple more done this year so I can feel a bit of holiday spirit. 😁
    Natalie from Oklahoma

~~Samuel Adams

Comment

• hereami
      hereami commented
      Editing a comment
      Some of my family members would prefer something not in the traditional red and green. Maybe you have similar family members. ??

• KnitsWithHorses
      Editing a comment
      qfknit What a sweet thought. I can't get over what a thoughtful and caring bunch we have here on Fiberkind. I know everyone has yarn budgets and holiday budgets to deal with. I wouldn't want anyone to feel obligated but if anyone has some to destash/rehome, I would be super happy to put it to good use! I was mostly using DK and WW acrylic honestly. My acrylic stash has been used up a lot the last couple of years as I haven't really been buying it. I'm kind of down to fall colors mostly. I did find a couple of balls of LB Touch of Alpaca in red but I literally have no white or off white yarn left.

• qfknit
      qfknit commented
      Editing a comment
      KnitsWithHorses - sent you a private message.

hereami I haven't been sticking to super traditional red and green really. One of the ones I've already made is actually camo! My grandsons are definitely outdoor types. Lol I love using gold and nice low key shades of green or blue and was thinking I had some nice sage green and and off- white to make for grandsons but found some small remnants and remembered I had used it already. I have plenty of browns and purples and oranges but can't quite see that being their Christmas stocking from grandma. I have been trying for several years not to buy mass market acrylic unless it was for a specific purpose and I've been diligently knitting it up for kids hats, charities etc and had gone through a lot more of it than I realized. I hesitate to use the high end stuff for stockings because my daughters would probably want to be able to easily wash them before packing them away each year.
    Natalie from Oklahoma

~~Samuel Adams

Comment

• hereami
      hereami commented
      Editing a comment
      KnitsWithHorses I think our families are twins...lol!
      I have one family member who lived in camo...for years. Cause camo is a neutral and goes with everything...even other camo's...lol. He even hand painted his truck camo. (he did a great job of it...didn't look sloppy or weird. Maybe he should be an auto painter) Once he fell in love, with his now wife, he is actually wearing other colors.

Your Stockings sound fantastic. Have you posted pictures of them before? I have a girl who absolutely loves orange. Orange Hoodie, Orange base ball shirt, orange socks. Her favorite base ball team has orange on it. Do your grand kids have a favorite sports team? or Video game character you can get color inspiration from.

Isn't it nice to go to your stash thinking you still had a lot of "---" to work your way through. Only to discover you are closer to your destash goal than you thought. Good job!

I am getting close to the point where I will have to purchase yarn in order to tie other yarns together. Although, I really like the look of a scrap quilt and keep thinking I need to crochet something like it one day.
      Praying for you and your hubby.
      Hope things are going well at your home this week.

What are we going to do if we ever actually get to the end of our yarn stash?

Happy Monday everyone! I hope you are well!

I haven't been very talkative lately, been focusing on crafting. That and napping. I've been very tired lately. Not sure why. No other issues, but tired. I am not over worked or over stressed, but feel the need for a nap most days. Maybe I'm practicing for retirement. LOL I'm quite a ways off from full retirement, but can you begin practicing too early?

What are you working on? Anything fun happen this weekend?

Comment

• Hellokitten
      Hellokitten commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you had your thyroid checked? Not only the TSH but the T4 is important.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Ellen - my level is 10.5 and doc put me on 50,000 IU - it is an 8 week regimen, so we’ll see how it goes.

My doc said my thyroid is ok. I’ll ask when I talk to him in a month re: Vit D if they checked the T4. I do have a number of family members with histories if thyroid issues, so we keep an eye on it.

• EllenDeKnitter
      EllenDeKnitter commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, 10.5 will suck the energy out of you, that's a fact!

Glad you are staying on top of things Char.

hereami I could totally see my grandsons painting their truck camo. I promised my old Dodge to Braiden when he turns 16, which he did in April, 😳 so he can fix it up. We'll see what color he goes with. The one you describe that lives in orange, that's ME! LOL I have been a Broncos fan my whole life - since before Elway, lol. And my Alma mater is OSU, which is Orange Pride as well. Some of my grands are faithful OSU fans while some are OU fans (traitors!) I had thought about making OU or OSU stocking at least for the older boys but I really am not happy with how my colorwork comes out lately. The darker color seems to show thru no matter what I do. You can see what I mean in the photo. I can't remember if I've posted any of my stocking here so I just did a collage.
    I often use the foot from this pattern, which is a beautiful stocking pattern all around:
    https://jenniferhoel.wordpress.com/2...tmas-stocking/

​​​​
    The top left I got from R by Carissa Browning several years ago and haven't found it elsewhere.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201005_161139.jpg Views:	12 Size:	109.3 KB ID:	77317
    Natalie from Oklahoma

~~Samuel Adams

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
      Editing a comment
      It depends on the person! Some of my family definitely call for ones that are less... fancy? Like me. I am one of those who will want one that is more simple and classic. Lol And the older boys for sure.

• EllenDeKnitter
      EllenDeKnitter commented
      Editing a comment
      Love, love, love!

• KnitsWithHorses
      Editing a comment
      EllenDeKnitter Thank you!

Made a decision today to let my Etsy items expire. Packed up the yarn and put the tools away. Theyre just not selling. I've knit and crocheted for so long, but I am just not a natural seller. I get some requests here and there for custom items and I enjoy making money off something I love doing, but I just dont know how to do that on a larger scale. My plan for now is going to be making gifts for Christmas and making for myself. Im just going to post them up and if someone likes them, I will sell that way. Kind of sad, a bit of a relief. We just had to very suddenly put our beloved family dog down due to a complicated gallbladder surgery, so God knows we need the extra income, but I need less things to worry about so that I can grieve. 2020 is the WORST year so I think I will spend it doing what I love with no strings - or shipping costs - attached. Much love to you all! Knitters make my world go round, so thank you for being amazing and creating every day! Xoxo!

Our sweet baby Whiskey.

Name:	20200423_085953.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	77357
    Stashbusting MAL 2020: WTD=12, YTD=-69

Comment

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      So sorry for your loss. I hope soon you will only think of all the funny and happy times you shared with your beloved friend. πŸ’•

• Snoogins
      Snoogins commented
      Editing a comment
      qfknit you are so on point with your observations, I didnt think about half of this! Thank you! The alligator mug comment, 🀣 I screenshot your comment so that I can go through them when I edit. Thank you so much for your input, I really need to go back and reevaluate. 🧐

• Snoogins
      Snoogins commented
      Editing a comment
      hereami my condolences to you as well. ☹❀ This year has just tested every emotional response we have. My hope is that we will be stronger for it and learn to create peace in the midst of chaos.

Im glad the Brainy Yak makes you smile! Its a wet/dry bag I got from Webs. 😊

Thank you everyone for your warm thoughts and kind comments. I hadnt checked my feed for a few days and this really made me smile this morning. Have a beautiful day!

Xoxo

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
X