LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

January 2021 Chatter

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

January 2021 Chatter

The New Year is upon us, as is winter, the holidays are behind us, and we are all trying to ward off the winter blues.

Here is a place to share whatever you would like. We gather to bring up one another, laugh together, and craft together.

Happy New Year. May yours be happy, healthy, and generally a much better year than the last.
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD +7; YTD +7
    Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

I originally posted this in Forums > Off Topic... and will share again here!

Happy New Year!

See what happens when a bubble freezes...
    watch the delicate, intricate patterns of frost forming!
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1344634634576007170
    Enjoy!

I'll also share that the frost reminds me a bit of leaf lace...
    great FREE patterns for a leaf lace scarf and hat...
    HERE in Groups > Free Patterns.

Comment

• Spice2s
      Spice2s commented
      Editing a comment
      Very kewl! thanks for sharing that link!

• Woolfan
      Woolfan commented
      Editing a comment
      So magical! Happy New Year to everyone. 🥂🎊🎉

qfknit ‘s post is very cool... I showed
    it to my son and he started calculating how many possible snowflake variants there really are, and that it really isn’t “infinite” because the number is equal to 10^2 x52 times the age of sun... and my husband is explaining that we can’t really comprehend that number therefore “infinite” does in fact describe it nicely.

this discussion has been going on over 1/2 now.... and my brain hurts. Lol

🌨❄️☃️

The end result is 10^49 snowflakes per second for a billion years.

and reindeer can be purple in my house - my son could spend hours arguing this “fact” if he set his mind to it.

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol - it does seem like that sometimes

• EllenDeKnitter
      EllenDeKnitter commented
      Editing a comment
      I think your son and mine would get along famously. As he grew up we had some really, um, unusual conversations at the dinner table. He sounds fun Char!

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      EllenDeKnitter - he really is a charming kid.

Happy New Year everyone!
    Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy New Year dear!!!

If anyone is interested in joining me in a Crazy (or not) Scrappy Stash Sweater Make-A-Long , let me know. I could start a dedicated thread. I cast-on my 1st scrappy sweater on Friday.
    2020 Stashbuster MAL Week Ending 1/2321= (+1) YTD =+8

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm hoping to do one but I'm still in early "doing the math" stages.

• EllenDeKnitter
      EllenDeKnitter commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh my, just thinking about a "scrappy sweater" scares me PurlgirlButtons. I have to SUPER plan everything (I even swatch, mostly anyway), but I have always thought Kaffe Fasset's designs would be a wonderful way to use up leftovers. I'm not as brave as you, but I sure will enjoy watching all the projects as people post them!!!

• PurlgirlButtons
      PurlgirlButtons commented
      Editing a comment
      EllenDeKnitter, I get that. I am winging it a little bit. I did a swatch and it lied to me, and I had to frog and start over with fewer stitches. I am doing a lot of math now to calculate how many square inches I can knit with the yarn I have so that it doesn't look totally weird, but if it does, well, it'll still be warm and I will have learned something. I measured how many square inches I knitted with a 50 gram ball, so now I am trying to estimate where to change my colors so that the sleeves look like they go with the body. I don't know if that makes sense. Anyway, it is good for my brain. I am also starting a beginning/intermediate spinning class online, so that will slow my knitting down a little bit.

I just had a wonderful FaceTime visit with a friend of mine. She is new to sewing and recently found a good deal on a machine. I helped her step by step go through making her first “Star” block. She was so thrilled when she was done.

She is looking forward to another virtual gathering later this week... maybe I can get her to join the virtual yarnies ... lol

I hope you all had a marvelous day!!

Comment

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be fun.

It is Monday. Kids are back to school today (remotely for two weeks) and my “year end” starts today. My last two weeks were really low key, so I’ll have to pick up the pace.

How are you all doing?

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do!!! I think we accountants need to set up a spring camping get together....

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be awesome! I'm sure I'll be so ready for some down time by then. I just came up for air. Still need to eat lunch too.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it would definitely be fun, and due.

Good morning! Hope you are all doing well 😊

I finished a pair of socks Saturday. Right now I have so many WIP’s going I will hold off getting another pair started.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9ADC68C1-F13E-4DF8-B6DC-F04CC605AAC9.jpeg
Views:	152
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	86513Click image for larger version

Name:	229D7978-4297-488C-98BE-18C9F1A97597.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	86514
    Kathie from Indiana

2021 Stashbuster: WTD - 2, YTD + 5

Comment

PurlgirlButtons KnitsWithHorses EllenDeKnitter did you all see this pattern that Cablegrrl posted in the Free Patterns group?
    Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
      Editing a comment
      That would be great for my Pine Ridge box!

• Cablegrrl
      Cablegrrl commented
      Editing a comment
      Yayyy! I'm glad you like it!

• PurlgirlButtons
      PurlgirlButtons commented
      Editing a comment
      That's cute. See, scrappy is fashionable.

Click image for larger version  Name:	25D23262-09B9-4A67-BC24-0F3EB7D43A24.jpeg Views:	27 Size:	145.6 KB ID:	86671

I had made these Sympathy cards to have on hand. An older friend of my husband passed away and he asked if I had a card. I gave him this and he said it was too depressing. Hmm? I guess I was going for somber, thinking festive wasn't the right look. Do you think a black, white and gray card is too depressing for a sympathy card? How colorful should a sympathy card be?

ETA: I offered Hubby this one from my collection. He said it reminded him of weeds growing in a cemetery.

Name:	E68D1B66-6F32-4FBA-8D81-D295BD9B7A09.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	86760

Good grief! Then I said, "If you're looking for cheerful, go with this one."

Name:	69968771-E33C-4713-896C-C43A1040389C.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	86761

He chose this one. I stamped "With Deepest Sympathy" on the inside.

Name:	2B5312DC-A0E2-485E-8DC3-66D8E124A4BB.jpeg
Views:	113
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	86759

Time to make some new sympathy cards to have on hand.
    Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• Spice2s
      Spice2s commented
      Editing a comment
      I personally like your cards, but I think adding a little color to them would be good too. Perhaps use a marker to color in some of the circles on the background, or changing out the scalloped circle with a colored circle. But I really do like your overall design.

• Pegg Thomas
      Pegg Thomas commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful cards! I enjoy making cards as well. But mine aren't that nice.

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Pegg Thomas - Have you ever gone to splitcoaststampers.com? It is a cardmaking website with a great gallery. Their search function is great and you can look for specific ideas. I love getting inspiration there. Pinterest is also good for inspiration.

My cards have improved a lot from the first ones I made. Besides online inspiration, I was in a cardmaking group for awhile. That was really fun and we made a lot of great cards. I also love making gift tags.

Hey y'all. There are a couple of new topics in the off topic area. If anyone is now or is thinking about becoming vegetarian or "whole food plant based" we have a chat/ support group I set up. Making that change 7 years ago literally gave me my life back so I'm pretty passionate about it. Whether you just have questions about it or you need recipes or just a listening ear during those times when your family and friends just don't understand why you won't eat this or that, we're here.
    dapncat started the other one and no matter what approach you are using to get healthier, chances are good that part of it is moving your body more this coming year. Personally, I want to get back to swimming and yoga but even if those places get locked down I can always walk! I may have to start with 15 minutes at a time but that's okay! Whatever fitness activity is in your plans and whatever level you're at, if you want some support and/ or accountability then join us!
    Natalie from Oklahoma

Jer 9:11-13
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -43 WTD -14
    2021 50 New-to-me Books: 3

Comment

I am so excited and I knew you all would appreciate this! Any errors I found I was able to rip out a few rows and successfully keep going. I owe a lot of my success to this wonderful platform. You’re all so helpful and nice it makes a huge difference. My end corner got a little pointy I’m not sure what happened I followed a video and I had the right amount of stitches and rows at the end but I’m okay with it.

Comment

• qfknit
        qfknit commented
        Editing a comment
        MrsDanielleWilson - Your square looks great!

The final corner can become pointy or elongated because of the weight of the project being suspended from ever fewer stitches. Gravity takes its toll.

TIP:
        1) As you near the final corner, do not let the project dangle from your needles, but rest the project on your lap or a table as you knit.
        2) At the end of the row, when you are ready to turn your work, gently gather the knitted project in one hand and turn it over... do not let it the project hang from the needle as you transfer the needle to your other hand.

• MrsDanielleWilson
        MrsDanielleWilson commented
        Editing a comment
        qfknit oh I didn’t know that thank you so much I appreciate the tip!

• qfknit
        qfknit commented
        Editing a comment
        MrsDanielleWilson - you're welcome!
        Happy Knitting!

Good morning and happy Friday! How are you doing?

My busy season is in full force, but much less stress than in prior years, thank goodness.

I’m hoping to finish my blue placemat set today. . Maybe I’ll have them finished to
      show during our zoom meet.

Comment

• DJM
        DJM commented
        Editing a comment
        They sound so pretty!!

Good morning! For my Finished Friday, I have a light green cowl using a simple seed stitch, and a small Crochet mandala. Both were fun projects. I’ve also used most of my sock leftovers to make two charity scarves - these were a real stashbuster!

Name:	74A4A4E5-0A57-4F51-9C75-19FE9A58C2D4.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	86956Click image for larger version

Name:	A4CBC513-4AED-40A9-86C9-3345F5E38E59.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	86955
      Kathie from Indiana

2021 Stashbuster: WTD - 2, YTD + 5

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        I was thinking maybe placing a bowl of flowers on it or something but it's too pretty to cover up! Your hubby might be into something!

• Spice2s
        Spice2s commented
        Editing a comment
        Your crochet mandala is gorgeous! Love it!

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Spice2s 😊😊

Good news today! Hubby was in for time off this week for the first time since he got back to work and he passed his DOT physical with flying colors and then went to the surgeon about his hip and was told he is fully healed and released from care!
      Natalie from Oklahoma

Jer 9:11-13
      "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -43 WTD -14
      2021 50 New-to-me Books: 3

Comment

• hereami
        hereami commented
        Editing a comment
        WooHoo! Thanks for the update.

• Hellokitten
        Hellokitten commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent!

• Spice2s