LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

January 2021 Chatter

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lumberjacks&LadiesAnnouncementMeme.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	375.0 KB
ID:	86998
    Can I give a big non-fiber squee here? I signed a new book contract this week. The best part is that it's with four authors who I really love - both in person and their books! We'll have four historical romance novellas in one book. From Maine to Idaho, we're writing about the lumberjacks and their ladies. I'm pretty excited!
    Spinner of Yarns
    Author and Fiber Artist
    Subscribe to my monthly newsletter: https://www.subscribepage.com/PeggThomas

Comment

• Spice2s
      Spice2s commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't know you were an author! I'll have to look for some of your books!

• Pegg Thomas
      Pegg Thomas commented
      Editing a comment
      Spice2s I write historical romance and historical fiction, I have novellas published in collections put out by Barbour Publishing, but later this year I plan to release my first full-length novel. It's a scary step into the world of self-publishing. https://www.amazon.com/~/e/B01M8KLB3Y

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Yay for you! So happy for you. Best wishes on your writing journey.

Name:	IMG_20210110_103812885.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	87139
    Edited to show them up at the church. Of course - AFTER - I got home and looked at the photo, I noticed that the curtain in the middle needed straightening up. *sigh*

And more non-fiber - but crafty! - stuff. I spent the day painting new banners for our church. These are about 5.5 feet tall by 4 feet wide. You can see my cedar chest in the photo for size comparison. I've been wanting to do a winter-ish pair for a couple of years. Today was the day! I started at 8:30 this morning and finished at 7:00 tonight. It's a BIG job! But worth it.
    Attached Files
    Spinner of Yarns
    Author and Fiber Artist

Comment

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      They look great.

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh Pegg, those are lovely!!

• Pegg Thomas
      Pegg Thomas commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, everyone.

I did not finish anything, but I did some project counting. Since Jan. 1, I have frogged 4 projects...and started 8.
    Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD = -1, YTD = -27
    Stashbuster MAL 2020: -61

Comment

The only things I finished this week was a couple of potholders and a dog sweater.

Name:	20210108_151904.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	87007
      Natalie from Oklahoma

Jer 9:11-13
      "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -29. WTD -34
      2021 50 New-to-me Books: 3

Comment

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        What a happy pup!

• Woolfan
        Woolfan commented
        Editing a comment
        Awwwwww, what a cutie!

• KnitsWithHorses
        KnitsWithHorses commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks y'all. He's a character for sure. ❤

Click image for larger version  Name:	raw wool to wash.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.1 KB ID:	87060Click image for larger version  Name:	wool in the dye pot.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.7 KB ID:	87061Click image for larger version  Name:	wool in the cooling pot.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.0 KB ID:	87062
      It's wool dyeing day! From raw unwashed wool, it gets washed and put into the dye pot and simmered until the wool takes up the dye, and then it's moved over into the cooling pot. The last stage is to go into my holding buckets (which are plastic 5-gallon buckets) until the water returns to room temperature. Tomorrow I'll drain the water and get them in the drying racks. Fun times! (And my house smells a bit like vinegary wet sheep.)
      Spinner of Yarns
      Author and Fiber Artist

Comment

• DJM
        DJM commented
        Editing a comment
        The yellow is so pretty!!

• hereami
        hereami commented
        Editing a comment
        So....I am cooking dinner and had to really slow down to figure out what I was looking at in these pictures. Thank you for such a good write up.
        I did figure out it was an animal fiber on my own. Lol.
        It's been a long 9 days over here.

• Pegg Thomas
        Pegg Thomas commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha... that's funny hereami!

Not fiber related. Thought I would share a bit of good news.
      We had a visitor this morning. Stayed long enough to have some breakfast and let us pet it.
      I am trying to find out if it belongs to any of my neighbors. So far no one has claimed him.
      One lady simply wanted to know where I lived.
      I am not going to tell her where I am. For all I know she wants to come over here and trap it and keep it for herself.
      We are pretty sure he belongs to someone and was just out for a morning winter walk.

Anyway...I hope it comes back for another visit.
      Attached Files
      Book Challenge 51/50
      2020 stash busting WTD. 0 YTD. +65

Comment

• Pegg Thomas
        Pegg Thomas commented
        Editing a comment
        He looks like a tomcat I had once named Evenrude. (He had a motor.)

• Hellokitten
        Hellokitten commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably just a very friendly Siamese who has added you to his route.

• hereami
        hereami commented
        Editing a comment
        I do think you are right @hellokitten.
        We enjoy seeing him. I left out a warm blanket just in case.
        My own cat, Molly, isn't too happy about this backyard visitor at the moment. She may not realize it...but she needs a furry friend.. She has been acting different ever since my old dog died last May. Maybe these two will get along and learn to share my backyard.

Name:	2F57DAD3-3570-4012-925F-87C5C30E73FB.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	87150

Name:	6A248FDD-F5D8-4085-A664-7AA9FB0092B3.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	87151

I finished this scarf. When I took the picture I noticed I didn't block it to a symmetrical shape. Oh well, that disappears when wrapped around my neck.
      Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• DJM
        DJM commented
        Editing a comment
        I love the scarf, the color is so pretty..

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Very pretty!

• hereami
        hereami commented
        Editing a comment
        It looks great.

I finished my "bedspread." I wanted an easy to manage bedspread that was washable and usable rather than expecting it to be removed from the bed at bedtime. I looked at store bought comforters and bedspreads and they were either dry clean only, got horrible reviews for shrinking and wrinkles, etc. I decided to go with fleece with a crocheted border. I used a Skip Stitch blade on a rotary blade handle to poke the holes in the fleece for the edging. Now I just need some more interesting pillowcases (that aren't all wrinkly!), another nightstand mat and some wall decor. The nightstand mat does a good job of keeping the electric blanket controller and clock from sliding off the nightstand and nicking up the edges.

Name:	FADDD7F6-4A0C-4CC3-A560-954E7E982206.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	87170

Name:	08F29F6A-6780-4713-A3A3-75D7092423C9.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	87171

I'm thinking of doing something similar for our king sized bed except I will have to run the fleece panels horizontally across the bed. I'm thinking panels of three different colors.
      Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• hereami
        hereami commented
        Editing a comment
        I never would have thought about doing this.
        I love it.
        And your edging is so lovely.

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        This looks fabulous!

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        I love that idea!! It's beautiful.

I went with the 16” fixed circular Lyyke needles my LYS had in stock. (As well as the Kitchener stitch project bag) My tension is all over the place but I’m so excited this should end up being a hat for my husband. Pattern is “the quick and easy knit hat pattern in 6 sizes” by LittleThingsBlogged https://www.littlethingsblogged.com/...-easy-knit-hat

whats everyone else up to this week?

Comment

• MrsDanielleWilson
        MrsDanielleWilson commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I really have to pace myself. I already started a two row repeat knit shawl and it got stale to work on and I put in a project bag. This hat. And another grandmas favorite washcloth project. On top of those knitting projects I have a crochet project I switch back and forth on. Apparently I think I have more hands than I really do.

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        MrsDanielleWilson - it happens to the best of us.

Except me. I don’t have stray WIPs do I TexasPurl ?

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        I don't know what this thing is that y'all are speaking of... Stray WIPs? Too many projects? Never heard of such a thing! 🤭

Vogue Knitting Winter 20/21 purchased at the newsstand tonight.
      https://www.vogueknitting.com/magazi...shion-preview/

I am really excited about this issue! Looks like they made a change to offer a wider range of sizes for all patterns and Norah Gaughan is now editor in chief. Even the articles are more fun. (It was getting a little political and recycling too many old patterns.) I hope this means a bigger tent for everyone to learn more and feel welcome.
      I would make almost every pattern in this issue.

Comment

• Woolfan
        Woolfan commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh my, that does look like a good issue! With Norah Gaughan as editor-in-chief, that's a HUGE plus. After many years of Interweave Knits, I finally just let my subscription run out. It got too thin, and there was very little that I would consider making. I gave up on Vogue Knitting well before that. BUT, it looks like at least Vogue Knitting might be on the upswing now! Thank you for posting this Sjuly!

So, for WIPs Wednesday, a couple of things I’ve been working on. The first is a lace weight triangle shawl, I think it’s called Dragon Scales. The second is a baby blanket I’m doing with “My Picot” pattern.

Name:	B23BA782-789D-46B2-9255-4360F317857D.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	87297Click image for larger version

Name:	B892BA82-9A51-4AFB-8EF4-26FB068B3830.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	87298
      Kathie from Indiana

2021 Stashbuster: WTD + 2, YTD + 7

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful

• DJM
        DJM commented
        Editing a comment
        So pretty!!

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        Aaawww, thank you, FreedomLover Char and DJM 😊😊

At first I thought I was doing pretty well with my Wips. However, I have more than I thought. I would like to take care of a few things on this list before I start something else. However, If I am honest with myself, that probably won't happen.

1. Tunisian crochet afghan (I am still behind)
      2. a wonderful cowl (I messed up and have to tink back about 10 or so rows of 200 stitches each)
      3. a watermelon colored shawl
      4. a baby blanket for a neighbor
      5. I started a mystery themed afghan for myself a while back. I started with Lemming13. She finished hers and it is Lovely. I think I made 4 squares and got distracted.

Anyone else want to 'confess' their Wips?
      @knitter31 Yours are so pretty and looks like you are almost finished with them.
      Book Challenge 51/50
      2020 stash busting WTD. 0 YTD. +65

Comment

• Steph
        Steph commented
        Editing a comment
        I confess, I have over a dozen WIPs, now.

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        I have my 9stitch scrapghans going, as usual and sockss and a dog sweater since the red one came out too big for Haymitch. But I have a couple of UFOs that haven't been touched in weeks that I really want to finish! Gwendolyn shawland LaCadie cardigan. Both are for me and I always put aside the things for me time after time. I'm determined to finish them this winter but I am currently trying to design a pattern for a long super bulky duster style cardigan that my granddaughter is being for. I wanted Bulky yarn but my daughter ordered super bulky by mistake. 😳. I also have a couple of crochet patterns going. Finally started my bowl cozies and I'm trying to replenish my supply of dishtowels.

• Lemming13
        Lemming13 commented
        Editing a comment
        I confess that I finished my mystery afghan ahead of the Mystic Lanterns one for my daughter that I started in October 2019. That thing you said about getting distracted? I finished it now though, so don't give up, a WIP isn't a sin till it has been more than 5 years in the works.

Hi everyone. This morning has been a very bad day.

Today is proof that common sense really isn't all that common.

Hoping to have crafting today. We'll see. It's the life of an accountant is that way in January.
      Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD 0; YTD 0
      Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

Comment

• Woolfan
        Woolfan commented
        Editing a comment
        Char, I hope that your day has improved! (big hug) Yes, I have come to find that "common sense" is not the same as "good sense". Sending good thoughts for you, and for anyone else who is not having a good day.

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Common sense seems to be anything but common these days. Hope tomorrow goes better! 🤗

• Lemming13
        Lemming13 commented
        Editing a comment
        The very thought of having to handle accounts makes me cringe, I hate having to balance my domestic books let alone any others. You have my heartfelt sympathy and wishes for much pleasanter days to come. And @lovetostitch - if the Christmas cookies are gone that means it's time to bake some snowflake ones to ward off January blues.

hereami - here is my list of WIPs.

Listed from oldest to newest:
      1. Loom knit - 10-stitch blanket - started in 2017, may get finished this year.
      2. Crochet - Shawl in Patriotic/School colors
      3. Knit - Sport weight Faroese shawl - started with over 200 stitches
      4. Knit - Worsted weight Faroese shawl - started with even more stitches
      5. Crochet - Bunny
      6. Knit - Test knit blanket, pattern has been released
      7. Knit - Test knit wrap, still in testing - first time doing lace
      8. Crochet - Small blanket(s) for charity
      9. Knit - Temperature blanket/scarf, don't know, yet, what it will be
      10. Crochet - C2C moss stitch scrap blanket
      11. Knit - A scarf length "swatch" for gauge reference.
      12. Crochet - DK weight shawl
      13. Crochet - Washcloth(s) for charity
      14. Knit - Shawl - second attempt at doing cables
      15. Crochet - Blanket using bulky yarn - can be worked while wearing a wrist brace
      16. Knit - blanket for charity
      17. Knit - Worsted weight blanket for me

Projects 8-17 were started this month.
      Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD = -1, YTD = -27
      Stashbuster MAL 2020: -61

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        MrsDanielleWilson - so, it takes a bit to set up. But when you are setting up 10 dishcloths, or more, and divide that between all 10... well, you are at 6 minutes each. The weaving itself doesn't take too long - so the extra time is like casting on and binding off.

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks everyone. Things got better as the day went on. Thank goodness.

lovestostitch - might need to make some birthday cookies. Lol

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        Warping the loom does take time, but once that's done the weaving goes pretty quickly. It's definitely faster than knitting.

I forgot to show another form of weaving I've been doing. I was thinking ways to weave some new potholders on my loom, and when I looked on Pinterest and Etsy, I started seeing all these cotton potholders made from the looms like we used to have when we were kids, only there is a loom that is 10 inches square and makes lovely 8-inch potholders! The loops are a thick cotton. I wanted to update my potholders and now my husband is looking at them with $ signs in his eyes, thinking I could at least sell them for 5 bucks and get some money back! They really don't take long to make and I love the loop colors from Harrison looms. They are sturdy and absolutely beautiful. Way prettier than I remember the ones being when we were kids!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210113_164137.jpg Views:	0 Size:	124.4 KB ID:	87345

Comment

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Char - I love them. Almost too pretty to use. It's the Harrison Pro potholder loom and you can make a couple in an evening, easily! I will say the loops are rather expensive unless you order a huge 5-lb pack. But the loom is metal and sturdy and I love the size of them. The 2 bottom ones are actually wool loops I got off of Etsy and they are actually a bit smaller in size. They are actually more expensive. I think the cotton ones are just fine and I will probably order more.

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        These are great!

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        KnitsWithHorses - I agree! Maybe the dyes are more vivid now?

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X