LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

March 2021 - National Craft Month!! Chatter here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

March 2021 - National Craft Month!! Chatter here

Welcome to National Craft Month!!!

I feel like a “craft race”. How many yards (or miles) can you craft this month? . Weigh your balls before and after crafting - if you need help with the math, let me know.

I’m thinking we should set a personal goal of yardage to use this month. I’ll set up a thread for that.

I’ll have random drawings throughout as well.

Ok - get on those running shoes and warm up!!!
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD +1; YTD +247
    Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

This sounds like fun! (Trying to calculate from grams to yards, hhhmmm. To early!)
    Kathie from Indiana

2021 Stashbuster: WTD +2, YTD -32

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      You might be in the miles club!

My husband set up an “idea” wall for me - the squares stick nicely to the felt.

here is my quilt so far.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DED05AFF-02BF-40AE-BF8D-41DEBF612B60.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	91644

PS - I’m hoping for a sunny day today for a better pic.

Comment

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooohh! I bought a design wall pad, never found a place to put it. I’m glad you have one you can use - they are really helpful. Your quilt is looking great!

• TeaNSugar
      TeaNSugar commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, that's a neat idea.

• Spice2s
      Spice2s commented
      Editing a comment
      that quilt is looking really good! Love the blocks!

I'm trying to decide on a fabric goal for myself. And how to calculate it. I believe 3 to 4 pounds is a yard - so I might be able to weigh it to assist with those scrappy pieces. We'll see what I come up with through the day.

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure! I’m thinking yardage. I am going to set a goal for yardage used.

If it is an estimate for yardage - such as small pieces, you might google how much your particular fabric (IE cotton, fleece, flannel) weighs per yard?

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      My pieces are big! I know how many yards I'm using.

If we are doing different crafts (sewing, crocheting and knitting), do we do different goals or is there going to be a mathematical equation and we reach one goal?

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmm - all part of the greater goal, just parts of it. There are no “wrong” answers.

After a full weekend of working, I'm taking today off and playing with my wool and carder. Sounds like the perfect way to start the month to me!
    Spinner of Yarns
    Author and Fiber Artist
    Subscribe to my monthly newsletter: https://www.subscribepage.com/PeggThomas

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	SarahsChoiceShawlcarding3-1-21.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	91741Click image for larger version

Name:	SarahsChoiceShawlBatts3-1-21.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	91742Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210301_191404634.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	91743
      Today was a "Dances With Wool" day! First photo is 6 oz of Sky Blue, 2 oz of Navy, and 1 oz of Chestnut. I ran the batts through one more time to layer the colors. That's about 9 oz of wool all carded and ready to spin. This will be a shawl that I'll give away with a book - Sarah's Choice - that I have coming out later this summer. And then I carded some plain colors, 2 oz Navy, 2 oz Chestnut, 2 oz Lilac, and 3 oz Pumpkin Orange. All told, I carded 18 oz of wool today.
      Spinner of Yarns
      Author and Fiber Artist
      Subscribe to my monthly newsletter: https://www.subscribepage.com/PeggThomas

Comment

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty! Is the shawl and book a gift for a friend or part of your promotions for your book?

• Pegg Thomas
        Pegg Thomas commented
        Editing a comment
        lovestostitch I give away a shawl with the release - or re-release - of all my books. It started as a fun promotional thing, but I love doing it.

• Spice2s
        Spice2s commented
        Editing a comment
        oooooo ... love all that fiber .. makes my hands itch ... to spin ! .. I think it's time to do a spinning project again ...

But-but-but...isn't every month National Craft Month?! LOL!!!
      ​"​​​​Be with those who help your being "- Rumi

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        In our little corner of the net - that is a BIG yes

• Spice2s
        Spice2s commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes! Yes yes

Choosing a goal is going to be a bit difficult. I have big projects (long rows), little projects (instant gratification), and school projects (no yardage, but need to be considered as part of the calculation). I will have to think about how ambitious I want to be...after I cast on my new projects.
      National Craft Month Challenge: 3,434 of 5,000 yards
      Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD = +6, YTD = -67
      Stashbuster MAL 2020: -61

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol - I look forward to seeing more!!

I will cheer you all on. I am in another group of crafters who do a Mad Dash starting mid Feb and ending March 31, that I have the calculations going for. It would be too confusing for me to do two of these at the same time. Just so you know I'm committed to doing 6,000 yards during that time.
      Linda
      2021 Stasbusting week ending 5/1 WTD = 0 YTD = +56
      2020 Stash busted +160
      Book Challenge 66/100; 15 non-fiction

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
      The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost" JRR Tolkien

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!!!

If copy and paste interests you, you are welcome to do that here.

• crosstitchlinda
        crosstitchlinda commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, it wouldn't add up correctly because my partials were weighed Feb 13 not March 1.

Okay, I started projects, and have my Audit textbook open in front of me because there is a test tonight.
      I choose an ambitious goal of 1 mile.
      National Craft Month Challenge: 3,434 of 5,000 yards
      Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD = +6, YTD = -67
      Stashbuster MAL 2020: -61

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Yay!!!

I used to be an auditor. I loved it... but elected officials rarely like to be told ... how they can improve. 🤣🤣

• Steph
        Steph commented
        Editing a comment
        Char - I scored an 82 on the test, about what I expected, and the class average was 85.

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Great job!!!

How do you like the class? I don’t think I ever had an auditing class... it was all on the job training.

I was trying to predict what I would do in the next month and calculate etc but... I can't really predict. Last month would have been a better month for that. Lol But since I used up 2300 yards in my sweater alone plus did quite a bit on Ryley's duster plus a few small fillers in the month of February I feel like I can shoot for a mile.
      Natalie from Oklahoma

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
      ~~Samuel Adams

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -34 WTD -12
      2021 50 New-to-me Books: 16
      National Craft Month: 2503 of 1760 yards

Comment

Hey everyone,

Don’t forget to list your goals here so I have them all in one place. If you wish to make notes as to progress on your goals, you can add comments to your original post.

Goals go here

Comment

• Snoogins
          Snoogins commented
          Editing a comment
          Char is this our normal chatter for March? Or is this just for the big race? 😉

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          Snoogins - normal chatter too!

So, before I knew that the Amazing Char had set up this super fun event over here, I had mentioned National Craft Month on the Crochet Group. She asked me for some suggestions and then said I should mention them over here. I honestly think she's done a great job already getting us all engaged, but here were the ideas I had:

-We could all make squares for a charity blanket, or chemo caps, or something like that.
        -We could try a new technique/craft each and do a show/tell post about how it went.
        -We could share links to our favorite free patterns (I know we have a group for that, but I mean patterns we go to all the time.)

I guess these could be ways we could meet our mileage goals (because I know you all don't have enough projects on the go already..har har!) and chat with each other.

Ready, set, craft!!

"Have patience with all things, but chiefly have patience with yourself.” --St. Francis de Sales

🐎 National Craft Month Progress: 0 of 1760 yards

🧶 2021 Starting Stash:~62,185 yards; Current:~60,119 yards

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
          KnitsWithHorses commented
          Editing a comment
          I could get into making a couple of chemo caps. I always have trouble making my squares come out to exactly the right measurements to go with other people's. Lol

• MBearMakes
          MBearMakes commented
          Editing a comment
          KnitsWithHorses That is a very good point about the squares. knitter131 is making lots of scarves for charity, as well.

I like that, or I kind of like the idea of trying a new technique, because, like caps, they can be little projects. I've been toying with the idea of trying knitting....

Absolutely FIGHTING the urge to buy sock yarn right now lol. Trying to do a pair a month this year, thats my goal. So far so okay. I have about 2 rounds left on the February socks and I picked my yarn for the March pair.

Knitpicks tweed stroll for some sock monkey socks is screaming at me to buy it today, help! 😂
        Stashbusting MAL 2020: WTD=12, YTD=-69

Comment

• lovestostitch
          lovestostitch commented
          Editing a comment
          I want to see some finished monkey socks.

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          Ohhhh - monkey socks - some of my favorites!!!

Just do it!!!

(We are a group of enablers)....

• Snoogins
          Snoogins commented
          Editing a comment
          Lol, this is like the opposite of AA. We need an FA group - Fiberholics Anonymous. 😆 I did NOT buy the yarn. Its KnitPicks and will be there for my April socks maybe. This year definitely. I will say thats its nice to have people understand the craving for more yarn! You guys are thee best 🥰

I spent three hours today doing hair cuts and baths. It's animal fiber - that earns me some points, doesn't it?

Carly, the black one, has the heaviest coat. She gets shorn like a sheep. Here they are - trimmed, bathed & blow dried.
        Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          I take my cats to the groomers twice a year (Maggie easily gets mats, so she goes more often).

The guys say they are knee deep in fur when they are done. I have been so tempted as their fur is soooo soft.

• Natalia
          Natalia commented
          Editing a comment
          Char You reminded me a woman who spins and knits yarn made of dog hair/fur. She does it as a business. People send her some of their dog fur. Then she spins it and knits garments either for dog or for people. I remember one of her post on Instagram. She said that quite often she receives a threats, because some ignorant people don't know that you don't need to kill dog to get fur for spinning. Here's her account on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/belkana/

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow... it is awesome that she does this!

Not so awesome that some folks are not educated about what they decide is wrong.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
      X