LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

May 2021 Chatter

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May 2021 Chatter

Good morning! Amazingly windy here. I had planned some garden work this morning......

I don't know where to post this. But can anyone tell me what Skein Link category is? I see projects, but there is no explanation and my brain can't figure out the purpose. Perhaps the title is throwing me. I was hoping it was patterns. I just don't get it.

And why don't we have an organized pattern database? We really need one. That is in my opinion the main thing this site is lacking.

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you lovestostitch - I feel like I am begging when I keep bringing it up. But - we have to earn money somehow to support the site. I don’t think anyone realizes how much goes into the site - dollar and time wise. Any help at all is appreciated.

• Hellokitten
      Hellokitten commented
      Editing a comment
      I keep forgetting about the Amazon affiliate thing. Thanks for reminding us.

Are there other affiliates?

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Hellokitten - if you go to "Forums," look on the right side. It says "Important Ways to Support Fiberkind." You can make a donation or underneath the "Donate" button you see a link to the Affiliates page.

Originally posted by Hellokitten View Post
    I don't know where to post this. But can anyone tell me what Skein Link category is? I see projects, but there is no explanation and my brain can't figure out the purpose. Perhaps the title is throwing me. I was hoping it was patterns. I just don't get it.

And why don't we have an organized pattern database? We really need one. That is in my opinion the main thing this site is lacking.

Here are a couple of links that give a bit of information:
    https://fiberkind.com/forum/announce...5202-skeinlink

https://fiberkind.com/forum/general/85201-skeinlink

It’s a work in progress. For those who are mega organized it might seem a little discombobulating but if you are looking for some place to keep notes on patterns you are doing and keep a picture of your final product, it’s a good place to do that. Until you are signed up with it you won’t be able to see others project pages that have been listed as for only other skeinlink users to see. Some list theirs as for all to see. If you type skeinlink link up in the search section here on FiberKind, you might be able to find other information on it. Hope this helps, even if it is just a little bit 😊
    “And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair” Khalil Gibran

Comment

• Hellokitten
      Hellokitten commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for all of the explanations.

I think it would be very helpful to have a short description at the first page right as we click in to skein link. And a link explaining how to sign up. I'm sure I'm not the only one who was confused.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Hellokitten - I'll send your recommendation to the programmer.

We had a wonderful time at our first FiberKind crafting retreat. We decided we needed to schedule another one, so we are aiming for October 22-24, 2021 in Danville Illinois.

Here are a few things we worked on:

Click image for larger version

Name:	7CB98137-6A62-4D6F-A9B1-5D6101BE3418.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	97951

Name:	F6E07EEC-9E58-4ADA-998A-5B49E395EA25.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	97952

Name:	E6060A2D-CD10-4417-9BC9-F6134B78AADB.jpeg
Views:	84
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	97953

I’ll share more in a bit - right now I have some family and unpacking to attend to

Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD +1; YTD +247
    Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      We posted it in one of the groups. We tried to keep this first one small since we were trying to learn as we go. But - anyone is welcome. The facility is very nice and stair free for those who have difficulties.

• TeaNSugar
      TeaNSugar commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad you all had a wonderful time!

• Spice2s
      Spice2s commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for sharing the photos. So sad I had to miss it.

This young lady was also at our retreat. She started off with weaving lessons from rkennell - a study on color and how they interact with each other.

She kept coming my way and looking over my shoulder while I was quilting. She asked how do I quilt. I told her we took perfectly fine pieces of fabric, cut it into tiny pieces then sew them back together again. 😂😂

I happened to have two sewing machines with me - I wanted to get one cleaned while I was there then my new machine. Once that one came back I offered to show her how to make a quilt. This young lady was VERY excited. She bought a charm pack, and started laying it out on the “idea wall”. A lady that was sharing our retreat area helped her arrange her blocks in a striking way, where the colors sort of burst out. She learned the importance of using pins, and how to seam rip when pieces went awry. Add some batting, backing and some yarn, and voila - a quilt!!!

Second quilt - a mini jelly roll race. She picked out 8 fat quarters and I made her jelly roll strips with my AccuQuilt, and my mother in law showed her how to do a jelly roll race. Add some trim around the outside, and we have two beautiful quilts, and one very proud young lady.

Name:	73F44875-B09A-4BFD-A83D-3035492AC729.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	98012

Comment

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      She really went to town on her sewing and her weaving!! She was so excited to go home and tell her family about her weekend.

• Spice2s
      Spice2s commented
      Editing a comment
      That is wonderful!

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses commented
      Editing a comment
      I absolutely love this.

I almost finished my king sized Calico Stars quilt top (It's a Missouri Star Quilt Company tutorial) and I have to figure out how to take a picture of it. It will stay a WIP for a while, it's a project for some time in the future and quite frankly I'm tired of wrestling with it, it's huge. I'm going to go back to throw sized quilts for now. It has two small borders and will have a couple more eventually, I didn't find fabric that spoke to me when I looked at the LQS. That and the following thought process told me it's time for this to hibernate for a bit. I had a yard of fabric for a second border and wanted to make sure I had enough before I started cutting, I knew I would need two strips for each side and wanted them to be 3-1/2 inches wide. I proceeded to do this math in my head: "3-1/2 and 3-1/2 is NINE and 9 times 4 is 36 so that's really cutting it close." For those of you who don't know, I'm usually quite good at math. Once I get a picture of it I'll wrap it up for storage/time out and eventually come up with a way to set up my machine where I have a better place to support some of the weight of it.
    Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

• DJM
      DJM commented
      Editing a comment
      It's going to be beautiful. It will be rewarding when you feel up to finishing it. I like to put a project away for awhile to get more inspiration to finish it. Can't wait for pictures.

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you both, it's definitely time for a break from this project for a little while. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking forward to seeing the picture!

rkennell spent our retreat weekend spinning. This turned out so beautiful!!! I think she is warming up for Spin De Fleece - it is about time to get that up and running again.

Name:	672DD8C4-F0B7-4C64-93CF-794692505BAF.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	98082

Kelly worked on a beautiful owl blanket. I really want to learn how to do designs like this.

Name:	F774F1B2-CE39-4493-9F59-9EEB1AB4A2A3.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	98081

My mother in law also attended. She worked on quilting baby quilts:

Name:	4EF62401-1BC9-4AFE-8DEA-8616940C218B.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	98083

more later - I better get back to work. Lol

Comment

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, there were some really talented people at the retreat.

• Spice2s
      Spice2s commented
      Editing a comment
      We do have the Spin de Fleece thread started for pre-tour chatter. I'm going to be working with rkennell this year to manage it with her Hopefully we'll come up with some really great ideas I hope to work more on the ideas this weekend.
      Thread started is here: https://fiberkind.com/forum/spinning...2021#post97100

• rkennell
      rkennell commented
      Editing a comment
      Spice2s - I'm looking forward to hearing your ideas!!

Did my PT today. She found another rib - left side topmost - that was out of placement. (Pretty sure that happened a couple of nights ago. I rolled over in bed and felt something *crunch* in my ribcage. So maybe it was partially out of place and then went all the way out.) She pushed it back into place. (ouchie) She also unfroze a trio of vertebra between my shoulder blades. I can turn my head all the way left again! I'm going back next week just so she can make sure everything stayed in place and loose, and then I should be done.
    Spinner of Yarns
    Author and Fiber Artist
    Subscribe to my monthly newsletter: https://www.subscribepage.com/PeggThomas

Comment

• FreedomLover
      FreedomLover commented
      Editing a comment
      Yay for improvement, but yikes on how you're getting there.

• dapncat
      dapncat commented
      Editing a comment
      Lurker chiming in here because my husband has that happen to him (ribs out of place) pretty regularly. He has a collagen disorder (genetic defect)--Ehlers Danlos syndrome. Wide range of types/impacts, but I just thought I'd put that out there. Best wishes for speedy healing!

• Pegg Thomas
      Pegg Thomas commented
      Editing a comment
      dapncat I'd never heard of that! I was in an accident that totaled my truck, so that was definitely the cause of mine. This time. It's not the first time I've had ribs pop out of joint, however. The first time there were top ribs. I've had the bottom ribs on my left side get out of joint a few times. Maybe I should look up that syndrome.

Here is what I worked on during our retreat.

My biggest concern was what in the world
    would I tell my husband I was working on... this will be his birthday present.

Name:	5ECC4D56-F8FE-4B91-8762-FDEC8DE9E8E3.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	98125

I am definitely looking forward to our next retreat Oct 22-24

Comment

• Woolfan
      Woolfan commented
      Editing a comment
      That is unique and amazing! Love the colors, love the theme.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you everyone.

FreedomLover I did have an alibi project with me, but I was so into this and teaching Haddie that I didn’t break it out. Lol

• KnitsWithHorses
      Editing a comment
      Oh. My. Stars and garters! That is gorgeous!

Here is the quilt top, it has two small borders now and I plan to add a couple more. It is currently an 88 inch square. This is on my sliding glass door so it's back lit, the colors are deeper.

Name:	20210505_113923.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	98188
    Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      FreedomLover - which quilt is this?

• hereami
      hereami commented
      Editing a comment
      wow. Back lit it looks like a lovely stained glass window.
      Great work.

• KnitsWithHorses
      Editing a comment
      It's beautiful! I had the same thought as hereami . With the back lighting it looks like stained glass!

FreedomLover - I have this beautiful FQ set I can’t figure out what to do. Thoughts? (Or anyone) Click image for larger version

Name:	321633B0-6AB3-4005-AAC5-60F298001821.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	98195

Comment

• Spice2s
      Spice2s commented
      Editing a comment
      BARGELLO! found an image .. BARGELLO BARGELLO BARGELLO ! https://i.pinimg.com/originals/11/2b...5758239333.jpg

• DJM
      DJM commented
      Editing a comment
      Spice2s They are beautiful.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Spice2s I could definitely do a bargello... I think those are better done with jelly rolls. I have a strip cutter to make jelly rolls. I wonder if there is enough in a FQ set. Hmmm

Finished this hat earlier in the week. It's a helical knit using some advent minis from 2019.

Name:	0504212101_2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	98406

This is the hat that I cast on in the zoom meeting today. Was able to finish it this evening.

Name:	0507211846_2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	98407
    Stashbuster 2021 WTD= +6; YTD= +91 (5/8/21)
    Oh SNAP ✨ we're DUELLING 🤺 atFiberkind Wizarding School! Let's SPEW.

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      You are rockin it!

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Great hats!

Good morning everyone!

I am getting ready for a crafting day at Town Hall. Hope you are all well!!

Comment

• Pegg Thomas
      Pegg Thomas commented
      Editing a comment
      Well I was ... now I'm jealous.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Pegg Thomas - come on down!

(You should also consider our upcoming retreat)

• Pegg Thomas
      Pegg Thomas commented
      Editing a comment
      Char, I live at the top of a peninsula, *everything* is a long way away from me.

We had a wonderful crafting day today.

We had a total of 7 people today, some come and go at various times. Pizza and salad from across the street.

Name:	22FDB0B7-C143-4C3B-9CCD-1AE37E659163.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	98482

Comment

Pegg Thomas

This is where I grew up.

Name:	CA3477D0-9748-4544-837C-6FEF635F1DCC.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	98487

Comment

• Pegg Thomas
        Pegg Thomas commented
        Editing a comment
        Char, gotta love Michiganders! I'm at the top of your index finger.

• Hellokitten
        Hellokitten commented
        Editing a comment
        My mother's family was from Michigan. Ancestry tells me my genetic community is there.
        I have never had a chance to visit there.

• Pegg Thomas
        Pegg Thomas commented
        Editing a comment
        You should @Hellokitten. It's a great place.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X