Help with getting deeper deeper zags and pointier zigs

About a 1/3 of the way through a zig zag crochet blanket in DC but I’m not really happy with it. Since it is for donation, I will finish it, but I am hoping one of you pros can tell me how to get deeper zags and poinitier zigs.

I saw an afghan done on KP (Knitters Paradise) by LiseS with a combination of widths for the patterns and I replicated that part, but I did not get the pointiness that I was looking for. Mine is more of a wavy pattern.

Would I get this effect in SC? I believe this one is done in SC. Was that my mistake? Any help would be appreciated as I want to make another one when I’m done with the current one.

It’s beautiful!!

@susanwayne You can control the depth by the number of increase and decrease stitches you make/skip at the mid-point stitches. A couple of examples for dc:

A wavier chevron over 2 stitches: (chain with multiples of 12 & use standing dc to start)
1 dc into st, *1dc into next 3 st, dc2tog over next 2 st twice, 1 dc in next 3 st, 2 dc into next st twice

A sharper chevron over 3 stitches (chain with multiples of 14 & use standing dc to start)
3 dc into st (including your starting dc), 1 dc in next 3 st, dc3tog over next 3 st twice, 1 dc into next 3 st, 3 dc in next st twice

The same logic applies to sc although it’s more difficult to fit as many stitches into the mid-point stitches as the sc are so much smaller. Plus, it takes forever to do a blanket in sc. I say give the dc a go.

I hope you can make out the chart.

20190817_004124.jpg

Awesome!! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much for your chart! Unfortunately, these old eyes can’t see it well enough to match it to your words. I will PM you if I figure out how, for you to email it to me. Would that be okay? I think I understand what you are saying, but I like charts and find them easier than. What’s the old saying…a picture is worth 1000 words.

I really appreciate the help.

PS: I can’t figure out how to PM!

Sorry, it was late and the lighting wasn’t good. I certainly understand about the eyes. Try this one:

20190817_072832.jpg

@DJM You’re welcome!

THANK YOU! That’s so clear now. And that’s what I was looking for. Being logical and mathematically inclined, I like to understand and this makes absolute sense to me. This is the clearest explanation for me.