LoveCrafts

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Blankets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blankets

Does anyone else have the problem with blankets being longer at the bottom than the top? I am not losing sitches - I have 30 wheels on the beginning row, 30 wheels (well, 29 and two halves) in the top row. I was kicking around ideas like doing a couple rows in a smaller hook then increasing the hook size? it isn’t terrible, and likely just stress, or car riding vs relaxing in the chair type of thing. I am guessing it will block out. But... what do you do?

Click image for larger version

Name:	56DC6A95-9916-41B7-99C4-0A079185AC62.jpeg
Views:	80
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	39825
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: +20; YTD -322

Yes! I read somewhere once that many people have a looser tension when beginning a new pattern and that as the mind and muscles learn the pattern, get the feel of how the yarn flows and develop the rhythm, we unconsciously return to our most practiced tension. This happens mainly on an unfamiliar stitch or if using a different weight yarn than we normally do. The recommended solution was to do exactly what you stated. It has worked for me although I've learned to go down 2-3 sizes to start as I crochet very tightly and to stay with the smaller hook through several pattern repeats, especially if it consists of multiple rows. Now that I'm aware of it, I swatch the same way and pay close attention and adjust the point at which I move to the larger hook. Might be worth a go for you.

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      I wonder if it is too late for me to go to a bigger hook now... thoughts?

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      You probably still could. One thing you might try is to alternate between the small and large hooks for a few rows to make it a more gradual change before sticking with bigger one. I think you'll easily be able to block it all out evenly when done.

I tend to chain loose which gives the bottom of my blanket a wider bottom,

Comment

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      DJM, you are exactly right. This was really a problem for me before I switched to starting with a chainless foundation stitch. Have you ever tried that?

• DJM
      DJM commented
      Editing a comment
      pinesprairie I like to do it with a fdc or fhdc not fond of it with fsc.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      My chain is also loose. I do like the foundation stitches (dc more than S.C.). I actually started that with this stitch but for some reason I didn’t think it looked right and drifted it. :-)

Char - Have you tried doing your cast on chain with a bigger hook? That has helped me.
    Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Actually my cast on and first row are the looser ones than the others.

• lovestostitch
      lovestostitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Then I would try the reverse - a smaller hook for your chain.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Yah... I am not sure why it took so long for me to figure that one out. Lol

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
X