Blankets

Does anyone else have the problem with blankets being longer at the bottom than the top? I am not losing sitches - I have 30 wheels on the beginning row, 30 wheels (well, 29 and two halves) in the top row. I was kicking around ideas like doing a couple rows in a smaller hook then increasing the hook size? it isn’t terrible, and likely just stress, or car riding vs relaxing in the chair type of thing. I am guessing it will block out. But… what do you do?

831D0602-7F56-4FDE-8C70-E42A294F44A6.jpeg

Yes! I read somewhere once that many people have a looser tension when beginning a new pattern and that as the mind and muscles learn the pattern, get the feel of how the yarn flows and develop the rhythm, we unconsciously return to our most practiced tension. This happens mainly on an unfamiliar stitch or if using a different weight yarn than we normally do. The recommended solution was to do exactly what you stated. It has worked for me although I’ve learned to go down 2-3 sizes to start as I crochet very tightly and to stay with the smaller hook through several pattern repeats, especially if it consists of multiple rows. Now that I’m aware of it, I swatch the same way and pay close attention and adjust the point at which I move to the larger hook. Might be worth a go for you. :slight_smile:

I tend to chain loose which gives the bottom of my blanket a wider bottom,

@Char - Have you tried doing your cast on chain with a bigger hook? That has helped me.

Actually my cast on and first row are the looser ones than the others.

I wonder if it is too late for me to go to a bigger hook now… thoughts?

You probably still could. One thing you might try is to alternate between the small and large hooks for a few rows to make it a more gradual change before sticking with bigger one. I think you’ll easily be able to block it all out evenly when done.

@DJM, you are exactly right. This was really a problem for me before I switched to starting with a chainless foundation stitch. Have you ever tried that?

@pinesprairie I like to do it with a fdc or fhdc not fond of it with fsc.

My chain is also loose. I do like the foundation stitches (dc more than S.C.). I actually started that with this stitch but for some reason I didn’t think it looked right and drifted it. :slight_smile:

Then I would try the reverse - a smaller hook for your chain.

Yah… I am not sure why it took so long for me to figure that one out. Lol

@Char hi new here! But experienced crocheter and I found a way to do the bottom or the starting chain in general that makes it match up when your tension relaxes and so it doesn’t look all wonky. Anyways, so besides chaining loosely which is always a good idea I don’t do my first row in between the chaining loops Which tends to make it tighten up I go in the back bump and it creates a nice clean bottom edge and makes it a bit more stretchy at the bottom. You can search YouTube and google in general “back loop of crochet chain” or something to that effect. I am a firm believer since I started doing my projects this way. Hope I was any help!

Hello, @MrsDanielleWilson and welcome to FiberKind!

Welcome to FiberKind @MrsDanielleWilson! I’m so glad you’ve found us! I’m a believer in that method also.

@MrsDanielleWilson - Welcome to FiberKind! :slight_smile: Thank you for the tip. I am also working on a blanket “in the round” that I am trying to work up without a pattern. The beginning chains are giving me problems again. I’m making it a rectangle, so the loops don’t really work, so I’m doing the chains in a “strip”. They aren’t bouncy at all, and keeping my piece from being stretchy. It feels odd. Do you have suggestions for a rectangle work in the round fix?

@Char that’s interesting no advice here I’ve never tried that. Best of luck though! Trial and error I’m afraid.

@MrsDanielleWilson Welcome to Fiberkind. Looking forward to see some of your beautiful projects.

@MrsDanielleWilson Welcome to Fiberkind!!