Tunisian No curl

I thought you might like to see a method for eliminating - and I do mean eliminating - the curl when working TSS.

I did a 2" border of alternating tss with t purl offsetting each row worked. When the border was done, I kept the first 8 and last 8 stitches in that same pattern (approximately 2" each side.) Please don’t look too closely as I made some errors but didn’t think it worth my time to go back and fix them as they will get lost in the finished piece.

This is a scrap blanket (wip) in acrylic and has obviously not been blocked.

Tunisian SS with seed stitch borders partial.jpg

Thanks, that’s very handy to know. Beautiful work.

Thanks for sharing, I’m just starting to do Tunisian crochet.

Just posted pix of finished blanket (not blocked) but in the wrong thread…Please see Tunisian 10 stitch if you want to see the end result. And even without blocking it lies very flat!

That’s beautiful. I’m investigating double-ended Tunisian, which is suppose see to eliminate the curl as well.

I’ve made hats using the dble ended and I liked the technique very much. It made a nice dense fabric and I used two colors for an interesting effect. Let us know how you make out with it.

That’s good to know! I’m anxiously awaiting the arrival of my double-ended hook today. I think Tunisian crochet shows off multiple colors and variegated yarns particularly well. I made my mom some beautiful hot pads several years ago.

Where do you get your double-ended hooks? I had to order off eBay and Amazon for 2 different sizes. I saw none shorter than 10 inches either.

I’ve had mine forever so I don’t remember where I got them. I would check a store like Hobby Lobby, Michael’s or Joann’s? I would doubt that Walmart would have them but you could check in there as well. Of course your local yarn shop would have them or at least could get them for you I would imagine.

I agree. I love the structured look of Tunisian (in my day, the afghan stitch) but the fabric is dense yet pliable. The double pointed makes a nice warm hat. No pesky air holes.

Thanks. I know Michael’s has none, need to check Hobby Lobby, and I always forget about Joann.

Here’s another Tunisian I just finished up. It’s a baby blanket (32X32) destined for some little boy on the Lakota Indian Reservation.

The odd looking rows that divide the piece into thirds, are some alternating rows of TSS & TP. I try to manage the curl as I go. I did the borders as part of the piece and did those in alternating rows of TSS & TP. I think I like the alternating stitches as on the first piece above better rather than alternating rows. On the wrong side you might note where I carried the color changes up the side making a little bit of a bulky line but I don’t think it’s too bad and it beat weaving in the ends with all those color changes!

This was an interesting technique that gives a woven look. It’s pretty simple too. On your return pass you change colors, using the same color for your next forward pass. You alternate that with a second color. The first third (bottom) is a light blue with beige, the middle is a darker blue and the light blue and the final third (at the top) is the dark blue and the beige. I had a little bit of the two blues left over and lots of the basic beige. Alas, I still have some of the blues leftover again.

Sometimes I think the more yarn I use up the more my stash grows! I know that defies logic, but it’s seems as if it’s true none the less.

Right Wrong Side.jpg

Right Side.jpg

Close up.jpg

It’s beautiful!! Thanks for the closeups

Very nice! Lucky little boy! Tunisian crochet makes a dense fabric, if I remember correctly, so it should be very cozy and warm!

This blanket will be loved for sure. I also appreciate having your notes. For my own information - this stitch is something that could be cross stitched over, correct? I have visions of making one and using the nicest to cross stitch something on them.

@Kathy7661 It does make a dense fabric and that’s why it is recommended to use a hook about 2 sizes up from the what the yarn sleeve recommends. This was done in a DK #3 yarn with a 7mm hook. It has a very nice soft drape; perfect for a baby.

@Char Yes you can cross stitch a design over the TSS. Years ago, when it was still known as the afghan stitch, I used to do that. Thanks for reminding me. Gives me something to think about. I may try that again.

Thank you for reminding me about the Afghan stitch - I did not realise it was the same as TSS. I have a vague memory of an embroidered blanket that belonged to a friend of the family, but she was “a bit of a hippy” according to my more respectable relatives, so it was the only decorated blanket I remember. With hindsight, it must have been Afghan stitch with some kind of decorative stitching on top - I don’t know if it was cross-stitch or some other kind, but it had a lot of bright colours. I must have another shot at this. :slight_smile:

Yes, we used to do a large blanket in panels because it was before the time (at least that I knew about) where afghan hooks came with cable extensions. You had to squeeze as many stitches onto the long hook as you could. When you were done, you would do a cross stitch design on top of what is now called TSS as it made a perfect grid, like Aida cloth does. Almost any cross stitch design would work.

And now that you have reminded me about that, I am thinking of embellishing the blanket for a little boy above. I have to think of what is generic enough as I will never know the child or the mother. If I do eventually think of something, I will post another picture of the blanket.

@susanwayne I admire the patience you have to do that! I’ve tried and tried it but it seems so slow. It’s beautiful and whoever gets it will be so lucky! I really like that it’s “reversible” and your border hides your carry ups just fine. With your design hat on, I know you’ll come up with a way to embellish it perfectly.

Oh and I agree with you - the absence of yarn in the stash causes growth. I just don’t understand it!!