Tunisian Scrappy Block Lapghan

Had some leftover balls of yarn I wanted to use up before starting my next project.

Although I love working on Tunisian I am annoyed by the curl so this is how I counteract that.

No pattern, just TSS & TP. I do the starting border in an alternate of TSS & TP offset each row as well as the 2 sides. In Knit it would be a seed stitch. I use 6 stitches on each side and then finish off with 6 rows the same as the way I started.

The blocks can be any size, width and height. In fact they could be differing heights and differing widths depending on the amount of yarn you had on hand. I had enough to make all the blocks the same size so I did.

This is destined for a Native American Elder so I made it wheelchair size. Sorry about the orientation of the wrong side.

Just thought you’d like to see it as a good use of your leftovers.

Tunisian Scrappy Blocks Lapghan RS.jpg

Tunisian Scrappy Blocks Lapghan WS.jpg

1 Like

It’ll be perfect for someone. Tunisian makes nice, thick fabric and your recipient will be very glad to have it come winter! I’m also annoyed by that curling so will have to try your solution. Thanks for posting it.

Love it! You did a great job!

Nicely done!

Thank you for posting this. I am collecting ideas for my next scrap afghan.
This is so lovely, I think the elder is going to love it.

I barely know how to tunisian crochet. My daughter taught me one stitch I do not know the name of.
Do you all have a favorite site or book that would help me learn more?
I know I could ask Dr Google…but that is so impersonal.

@hereami Thank you for your kind words about this lapghan. It was good method of using up scraps as I hate to let them go to waste.

I don’t know how to help you if you are looking for a more personal experience in learning. Perhaps there is a group in your library and someone in that group could help you learn.

Your daughter probably taught you the Tunisian Simple Stitch as the name spells out, it’s pretty easy to do. A way to learn is to get a book from the library on Tunisian crochet or purchase a book online.

For me, I learn a lot on the internet and youtube. There are so many generous people out there willing to teach with some of the videos being better than others, but you can pick and choose which work for you. If you find someone who you feel is good for you, subscribe to their channel and even reach out to them and they may respond if you need additional information.

I’m sure there are many on this site who would help you if you posted a question about what you are working on.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

@hereami Kim Guzman (CrochetKim on YouTube) could be a place to start - her videos teach you from the very beginning. She’s done quite a bit with Tunisian in the US and has a pocket size Tunisian Crochet Stitch Guide that has many of the basic stitches.

I second the Kim Guzman recommendation. She has lots of resources on her web-site as well. Also, I learned at first from this pattern, which costs three dollars. It’s a combination pattern/tutorial, and I do think it’s a good way to get started: https://shop.mybluprint.com/profile/pieceful-creations