LoveCrafts

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Spice Market CAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(crochet) Hook

(yarn) line

and sinker....

three colors. White, navy and burgundy

Click image for larger version

Name:	2D830DD2-7426-4DB2-98D0-B404D5AD5139.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	42420
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD = 0; YTD = +73

Comment

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      Ooooweeee, gonna be a beauty!

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Won’t be nearly as stunning as all these with the increased color changes, but I wanted to give this a shot anyway.

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very pretty! You're like the energizer bunny...you just keep going! 😊

Well, unfortunately I will not be continuing the Spice Market CAL. This is due to physical and pain issues with my wrists. I've had 12 surgeries on my hands and wrists over the years, which gives me some weakness.

​​The mosaic pattern requires me to move my wrists in such a way that I was in a lot of pain last night after just completing 1/2 of the first mosaic round. I've decided it isn't worth taking the chance of causing damage to myself.

I've completed part 3 and the first round of part 4. Soaking and blocking later today.
    Then I will post pictures.
    It will make a beautiful table ornament

2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD = -27, YTD = 0

Comment

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good call! No point in hurting yourself. It's nice that you can still use it and enjoy it!

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sorry it doesn't work for you, the others are right, no project is worth pain. We'll miss you here though!

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, I will be around on here, I can't wait to see. Progress photos ☺️☺️

Here is my "finished" Spice Market project. I wish I could have completed it. But I'm happy with how it looks. And for those of you using wool - it really does block out nice and flat 😊

Name:	IMG_20200208_090958383.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	42526
    2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD = -27, YTD = 0

Comment

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very pretty!

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      It's very nice!

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you 😊

I have corners!!! :-)

It isn’t as stunning as having 8 colors, but I am happy with my three color version.

I am trying to decide what colors to use for the mosaic. I am thinking white, but can’t decide on the blue or red for the background color. 🤔

Click image for larger version  Name:	E07A64C1-448B-49D5-8073-05EFD2E58A47.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	216.5 KB ID:	42654

Comment

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes! I actually like the simplicity of the 3 colors and think it's going to be beautiful.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      TexasPurl knitter131 pinesprairie thanks! :-)

I am leaning towards the blue myself. No orange added. Just the three colors. :-)

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's beautiful!

​​​Part 5 is complete! Whew! It currently measures 17" square.

I really start to stress when I can see the cardboard tube on the inside of my thread. But I made it with a bit to spare!

Pattern alterations: Round 23: pattern does not call for sc in blo. I did anyway. Gave the end of the mosaic section the same look as the beginning.

If parts 4 & 5 become too tedious (and they can) work 2 rows per side of the square at a time. It helps break it up a bit. Or just put it down for a while.

Name:	IMG_20200209_155829.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	42660

Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD -72/YTD -156 (2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 11/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

“Properly practiced, knitting (& crochet) soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
    Elizabeth Zimmerman with edits by me

Comment

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow,wow,wow! Just gorgeous!

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Char & Kathy7661 😊

I moved straight into the next section. Finishing the mosaic gave me a bit of a boost to keep going.

knitter131 - I'm so glad you recognized your limitations early in the mosaic. Part 6 has a crossed dc that takes some odd twisting to accomplish. It would be terrible for your condition. I'm happy you gave it a go. It's a beautiful piece!

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      TexasPurl, yes I did look ahead to what was coming up, and saw those dreaded twisted stitches. We are quite happy with our little table topper 😀😀

I am working on the last round of part 3. I am wondering if I can work on this as I work today or if it will be too difficult to continue once I'm working. I have a lot of down time when it comes to this time of year - still working, just "watching" more than "doing". hmmmm

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      It should be workable. It's dc's all the way around. Maybe place stitch markers every 20 stitches or so in case you get interrupted.

Looking forward to seeing it!

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      I found myself counting the stitches each round as I worked along, just to make sure I had the right number. I agree with TexasPurl, markers may help you keep track easier.

For some reason I just got curious as to what the back of this looks like.
    Would you describe it as being similar to the back of a cross stitch pattern or the back of a fair isle pattern?
    Book Challange 8/50
    2020 stash busting WTD. 1 YTD.+5

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Neither really, Parts 1-3 look similar front to back though the front has more texture. The mosaic rounds have alternating rows of color on the back. I'll post a picture of the back when I get home today.

hereami - here is a front side - I just started row 2 of part four (the mosaic section).

Name:	AB1AFC6A-EA35-41C0-89D9-1C4A42854B2C.jpeg
Views:	33
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	43168

Here is the back side:

Name:	4B16AD1F-F527-43A0-8FF7-411A481DE644.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	168.6 KB
ID:	43169

so - some of the detail is lost but still pretty. Of course multiple colors also changes the appearance. :-)

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Char - I hope that method helps!

• hereami
      hereami commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for taking the time to show us the front and back of your lovely work.
      If I would have thought about it another few minutes I might have thought that it would look so similar on both sides.
      ...I am raising young adults and my brain is going mushy. Today I actually thought about selling my home and buying a smaller one. One that wouldn't hold all of us...
      Thanks again for putting up with my question and sending the pictures.
      I am really thinking about making this my next 'big' project. It looks like it would use up a lot of the single skeins I have around here.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      hereami - I totally get the young adults - they keep us hopping don't they?

Would love to have you along for this! Obviously I'm running solo on just three colors instead of the multiple colors, but I'm happy enough with the results.

Likely would be a good stash buster especially if you have complimentary colors in case you ran out of skein before the end of a blanket. Most of the colors only would need one skein, but some of them require multiples.

It's looking so good Char ! I actually like the 3 colors; it creates such a different feel for the same pattern.

hereami, this is a really fun make so c'mon and join us! We'd love to see your version. Mine is made from stash and it is indeed, a great buster. I'm not sure if I'm going to have enough of each color to follow the pattern changes exactly, but as Char said, if you have enough complimentary colors, you can blend them in. This is my "reward" project - I can only work on it when I've made darn good progress on or finished a UFO so I'll be here a while.

Here's my part 3. I can't wait to start part 4!

Name:	Part 3.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	43261

Comment

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      It is funny how we justify things to ourselves, isn't it? I promised myself I wasn't going to start any new projects until ALL of my UFO's were done (is this even possible?) and then you went and posted this! I just had to make it - even ordered yarn! Luckily ended up using stash though. You're lucky you can work at your desk.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful! I love how your colors are working together.

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you! TexasPurl and Char.

I'm about halfway into Part 6. This is the back vs front.

Name:	20200214A.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	43270Click image for larger version

Name:	20200214B.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	43271
    Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD -72/YTD -156 (2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 11/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

“Properly practiced, knitting (& crochet) soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
    Elizabeth Zimmerman with edits by me

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Char! It's not laying as flat as I'd like. It's gonna take some light blocking.

I bought a handheld steamer a few years ago that does really well with acrylic.

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! It's so pretty!

• hereami
      hereami commented
      Editing a comment
      This is lovely.
      Thank you for posting the pictures.
      It helps me to know what the mosaic is going to look like.
      ...The purple diamond or bullseye kind of pattern...
      I think I was imagining the yarn would be carried over loosely when not in play in this portion.
      According to your picture it is tucked in nicely...crocheted over..not floating along.

There are several design elements here that I have never tried before. I am absolutely loving the last edging where the green and the red are covered over and peeking out of the cream.

I make rules. I break rules. I went ahead and did Part 4 plus a few rounds without working on a UFO. I looked ahead and didn't think I'd have enough burgundy so added another color. We'll see how it turns out. Adventures are the best!

Name:	Part 4 +.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	255.2 KB
ID:	43695

I'm going to get a UFO right now.

Comment

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      TexasPurl, Kathy7661 Thank you. I think it's taking a southwestern turn.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yah - this definitely works!!!

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks@Char!

I made it through part four today. :-)

Name:	26742C3E-E5CA-49BD-B7FB-5AFF216AA45B.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	44059

will definitely need some steamer treatment when it’s done.

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      That's looks great! The designer doesn't suggest it, but some other makers I chatted with that used yarn for this project recommend blocking after part 5.

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking very pretty ☺️

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      TexasPurl thank you for the advice! I was thinking it should lay flatter by now. I actually lightly dampened it this evening, thinking after part 5 I may steam it. We’ll see if the lightly wetting helps for now.

Thanks knitter131

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
X