LoveCrafts

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Sophie's Universe 5 Year Anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sophie's Universe 5 Year Anniversary

The 5th anniversary of the Sophie's Universe is coming up next month! Dedri of "Look At What I Made" will be hosting a new MAL during the month of July to celebrate.

Have you made any of the Sophie patterns? Did you start and never finish? (TexasPurl raises her hand)

Share your journey with Sophie here.

Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD +14/YTD -412 (2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 40/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

“Properly practiced, knitting (& crochet) soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
    Elizabeth Zimmerman with edits by me

So, here’s the start to my Sophie’s Universe blanket. It will be smaller than her samples because I’m using sock yarn from my Heritage Sock stash. Just picking out colors as I go, no rhyme or reason to the color selection. This will be a great stash buster! And, I really like her pattern Instructions and the illustrations have made it easy to follow. This is after completing section 2.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FCA932CA-90DC-4BAB-8C6F-31D20228FAE0.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	58256

Kathie from Indiana

2020 Stashbuster MAL: WTD + 10, YTD + 151

Comment

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, thanks everyone! I’m having such fun with this project, at the moment all my other WIP’s are gathering dust 😊😊

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      knitter131 That's EXACTLY what happens to me and why I have so many UFO's. I'm really trying very very hard to manage that condition but it's sooo much fun, isn't it? I can't wait for the next rounds!

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      pinesprairie, yes you are right. I’ve found it difficult to put it down. But I shall for a change of pace for a bit.

wow. inspiring. thx for the pic.
    Book Challenge 25/50
    2020 stash busting WTD.-6 YTD.+20

Comment

Sophie's Universe, completed section 3. She suggests this spot to stop with one special row of crab stitch to use as a Mandala. I'm continuing on, as we begin to square it off.

Name:	image_7689.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	58372
      Kathie from Indiana

Comment

knitter131— per our discussion I have moved your beautiful photos here! 💕
      Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: -20; YTD -268

Comment

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Dear ❤️

I pulled the old girl out from the dusty WIP tote she's been stored in since 2016. My notes indicate I started it in September 2015. Looks as though it's time to find an ending point to complete it & call it done. It's currently about 40 x 40.

Name:	IMG_20200623_072237.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	58539
      Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD +14/YTD -412 (2019-642)(2018-109)
      Book Challenge 40/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

“Properly practiced, knitting (& crochet) soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
      Elizabeth Zimmerman with edits by me

Comment

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        OH WOW! Good to hear the advice about not using worsted cause that's what I'd been thinking...not now tho!

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful!!

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m using fingering, and in the middle of section 5 it already weighs 114 grams!

Here’s mine through section 4, missing the last row of the section. I’m into section 5 now

Name:	A1F06C95-5776-493E-A15D-B26EC361E90D.jpeg
Views:	79
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	58552
      Kathie from Indiana

Comment

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        I missed one day and look at you go! Each round just grows it so nicely.

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great!!

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, pinesprairie and Kathy7661 😊😊

Where can we get the pattern?

Comment

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe there's a link to the website in the first post, first paragraph. I googled Sophie's Universe and found it after jumping through hoops 😊

• TexasPurl
        TexasPurl commented
        Editing a comment
        Click on "Look What I Made" in the title thread above.

Thank you! Yes, I found the pattern there finally, and it took some sleuthing but now I can begin.

Comment

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll be watching with great anticipation!

I am tempted to have another go - I finished my Sophie in March (she was all but finished before Christmas but there was a problem with my last side on the last row - I lost at yarn chicken and moved continents) and she is lovely. I was thinking I would like one in a plain colour the next time, maybe!

Comment

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        Bunyip, I lost at my at my last round of yarn chicken as well so feel your pain. Where did you move to?
        And those single color ones are something else entirely! I'd love to see it if you do give another go, it's so fun watching all the progress.

• Bunyip
        Bunyip commented
        Editing a comment
        pinesprairie I moved from UK to Australia - and I had to wait until she arrived in one of our boxes before I could knock off that last side! I have discovered other blankets in the meantime and am very conscious that they not only take up a lot of space they really can be quite redundant in Australia LOL

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        Bunyip Australia! How wonderful, I want to go there someday. You definitely need to do a Sophie in a lightweight cotton, have you tried any from Bendigo Woolen Mills there?

Finished through section 5, taking a little break to make some scarves and finish up a couple of WIP’s.

Name:	FA25A2D0-A574-4E0A-AF67-A7013218A813.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	59573
      Kathie from Indiana

Comment

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        Oooooooh, so preeettty! I can't get over that you're using stash. How big is she now?

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, everyone! pinesprairie the size is approx 16” square, and it already weighs almost 150 grams. I have over 20 colors of this yarn, all in solid colors. It’s fun to decide what to use next. Char had five skeins of colors I didn’t have, so I bought those from her. All the rest is mine.

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        knitter131 I'm so impressed. My family and all of theirs live up here where it gets so cold that the weight of the blanket is a desirable thing. They always ask for worsted. After seeing how crisp and neat finer weight yarns look, I'm really wanting to try it. I'd have to double up on rounds or something as it wouldn't get big enough to pass any kind of 'big enough' (cover head to toes with room to tuck under the feet) test.

I'm waiting for the next pic!

Finished with round 6, I took a short break from it to complete some large projects. Fingering weight, size is 19-1/2", weight is 181 grams. Lots of texture, if anyone wanted to make this in a solid color, it would be beautiful 😊😊

Edited to add the picture 🙃

Name:	IMG_20200707_102809713.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	61002

Kathie from Indiana

Comment

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        pinesprairie, I’m finding this to be a wonderful adventure, every new row is so much fun! The rows are getting longer, so I only completed 3 today. I stop when my concentration begins to blur, lol.

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        knitter131 CALs like these are some of my favorite things because I don't get bored. And each one is different so you can go forever! It does take longer and longer so progress isn't as obvious but it's so worth i
        t.
        That's good advice though - to stop when the concentration blurs. If I followed it, I wouldn't have to frog as much!

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        So pretty!

pinesprairie I need to finish my HOS Phoenix before I start thinking about another blanket and I just started a HOS Atlanticus with my granddaughter so it could be a way down the track at this rate!

Comment

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        Bunyip You mean the CAL? And I somehow missed that? I'm looking at it with my eyes closed, it's the only way I can get one thing finished, especially when I make blankets like you. Have you posted pics somewhere? I'd love to see!

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X