This is the UK affiliate ad
LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Tunisian Stitch of the Week Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tunisian Stitch of the Week Series

We've had some interest in Tunisian crochet of late! I'm thrilled to head up a Stitch of the Week series. We can all learn together!

Starting Saturday 08/15/2020, I'll post a short tutorial for a given stitch along with links to videos and sample photos.

It's gonna be fun!

Before we start ~ just a quick synopsis of Tunisian (Afghan) crochet. By no means will this be all encompassing. 😊

Tunisian crochet has many adopted names, including Afghan stitch, Fool’s stitch and Shepherd’s crochet, the latter based on the belief that shepherds used it to create warm fabrics with the spun yarn from their sheep. This type of crochet has been described as a mixture of crochet and knitting. I believe it is mistakenly believed to only produce dense, bulky fabrics. There are many lacy, open stitches for light flowing fabrics as well.

Add in the double-end hook; it's been called "crochet on the double" or "cro-hook" or "crochenit" but it's actually just Tunisian crochet. Any other names you may hear are just brand names. According to the publication "Crochet Master Class" by Jean Leinhauser and Rita Weiss, the phrase "Crochet on the double" is a trademark of the Needlecraft Shop, "Cro-hook" is a trademark of the Boye Needle Co, and "Crochetnit" is a trademark of Mary Middleton. Those are all just different brand names for the same thing: the craft of Tunisian crochet that uses double-ended hooks.

Advantages for beginners are that it is very easy to learn, faster to work than ordinary crochet, and twice as fast as knitting. This technique encompasses a range of 60 or so individual stitches that can be endlessly combined to create an incredible variety of textures.
    Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD -8/YTD -650 (2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 45/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

“Properly practiced, knitting (& crochet) soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
    Elizabeth Zimmerman with edits by me

I'm so looking forward to this new adventure. Thank you so much for hosting this.

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      It's my pleasure! We're going to learn so much!

TexasPurl Thanks for doing this.
    This sounds like fun! I'm in!

Comment

I am thinking about it.

In my crochet craft trials, I went down the Cro-hook path and got a book of stitches, all the hooks and off I went. I at least swatched every stitch in the book and was surprised at how many variations you could actually make. At the time, it didn't really click with me, probably because I didn't find many patterns to make and had no idea how to make something without a pattern. I gave everything away to a friend, called it good and moved on.

I've got eyes here and if it peaks my interest again, well..... One thing is for sure, whoever goes for this ride will certainly have fun and learn a lot!

Comment

Ohhh - I am in! I’ll need to find some hooks - thank you so much for the info on the hooks! This is going to be fun!

Should we do anything to prepare???
        Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: +27; YTD -246

Comment

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          TexasPurl - I am thinking about using knit picks Brava for this. Do you think yarn color will matter? I have lights and darks.

• TexasPurl
          TexasPurl commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd do the 1st one in a light color. I think it'll be easier to see the stitches. 😊

• Kathy7661
          Kathy7661 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have some Knit Picks Stroll fingering yarn that I'll be using. It says fingering weight but it's pretty plump.

I have several projects going right now, but what the heck? What’s one more little square per week, right? I have a Susan Bates J hook with cable, and I will use Bernat Baby Sport for my squares. I did an Afghan in “afghan stitch” years ago, still remember how to do it, but I never learned anything but the regular stitch. I’m looking forward to learning something new!!! 🧶🧶
        Kathie from Indiana

2020 Stashbuster: WTD - 6, YTD + 174

Comment

Sigh. I ordered hooks.

Comment

• Char
            Char commented
            Editing a comment
            I need to order some hooks. So - I’ll be bringing up the rear.

• pinesprairie
            pinesprairie commented
            Editing a comment
            TexasPurl I went with Denise. I make big things so need long cables. You, though....😈

• Kathy7661
            Kathy7661 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yay! 👍

I created an affiliate link for the interchangeable hooks - my goodness, I believe you guys bought out the Denise hooks - I had trouble finding some in stock to link to.

I'm still debating. I am finding the Addi needles intriguing as most of them are metal. But - they are more costly, and I'd need to buy additional cables / stoppers to go with.

I'm curious to see if anyone has any experience to add to TexasPurl 's experience.

Comment

I'm waiting for my smaller size hooks to arrive in the mail today. I've only used the 6.5mm with the smallest cord and I love how the yarn slides over the hook.

Comment

• Char
              Char commented
              Editing a comment
              Which ones did you get?

Ohhh - the Woolery (affiliate link) has Chiaogoo hooks. And I just received a 10% off coupon... They are still pricy though. Hmmm.

They also have the Denise Interchangeable set - same price as Amazon, and their shipping is generally quick.

Comment

I am getting the Love2Crochet Interchangeable Crochet Hook Set, USF 5/3.75mm-J10/6mm (L2CF5-J10). The one's I have had are the Love2Crochet Interchangeable Crochet Hook Set, USK 10.5/6.5mm-19/15mm (L2CK10.5-19).

Comment

Question - should we plan on a border?

Comment

• TexasPurl
                  TexasPurl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's your preference.

I'll be using my swatches for a sampler blanket. Tunisian creates a wonderful edge stitch on it's own for stitching blocks together. I think I'll sc a contrast color around each, then use that cool joining method you used. Then I'll have to decided whether I want a wider border around the whole thing.

• Char
                  Char commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome. I am glad for the easy stitch edges. :-)

@TexsPurl
                Please excuse this question if you have already addressed it.

I am considering attempting this. What is the bare minimum hook length I will need for this project.

I think I am understanding that some have bought hooks with cords. (Guessing that is like circular knitting needles with extra cord length?)
                Will I need that?

Looking forward to seeing how you end the squares and how they are joined together at the end.

Thank you for putting this together.
                Book Challenge 38/50
                2020 stash busting WTD. 2 YTD. 27

Comment

• TexasPurl
                  TexasPurl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No worries! I'm happy to try to answer all questions. Let hope I give you some sound advice!

You will need the extended hook, however, you can easily do this project with the budget set in the first pic in Tunisian Hooks thread: https://fiberkind.com/forum/crochet/...-crochet-hooks

Here's a link to them on Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/Crochet-Ass...s%2C196&sr=8-2

• hereami
                  hereami commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you TexasPurl.
                  I think I have what I need. I have metal single hooks in length sizes... 9 and 14 inches in length.
                  They weren't new when I got them.
                  Woo hoo for hand me downs.
                  It will be a great way to try out the new stitches.
                  Thanks again.

TexasPurl

Please forgive me if this has been asked somewhere and I missed it.

~How many squares will we be making? or ~How many stitches will you all be teaching us?

This info will help me to know: how large the end project will be, and if I should make more than one square during the week.

Thank you again for organizing this.
                Stay well.
                Book Challenge 38/50
                2020 stash busting WTD. 2 YTD. 27

Comment

• Char
                  Char commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kathy7661 I have yarn to send! (laughs mockingly towards TexasPurl hehehe)

• TexasPurl
                  TexasPurl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Char ~ How nice of you to offer your stash to a fellow stitcher!

When does that next yarn shipment arrive?

• Char
                  Char commented
                  Editing a comment
                  TexasPurl - Thursday. *blush*

My lil sample swatch to see if I did indeed want to use this soft baby yarn for this series. Guess I’m jumping in! I’ll post week one later today In that thread hopefully
                Edited to add: I have the Clover interchangeable hooks very similar to the Denise interchangeable set I can’t remember why I chose them over the Denise set (possibly I think it was the cord options I liked better) but I quite enjoy them so far!

Comment

• TexasPurl
                  TexasPurl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad to see you decided to join in! Welcome!
                  If you're happy with the body of the square, consider casting on with a hook 2 times smaller & work your foundation row with that hook. Change to the hook size that made the happy square for the remainder of the piece.

• MrsDanielleWilson
                  MrsDanielleWilson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  TexasPurl thank you for the tip! It works up so quick I’ll be starting on reworking week 1 here shortly and hopefully 2nd times the charm with my foundation row. It’s just been hammered into my head for years that a loose foundation chain is better but not when working Tunisian for me clearly.

• hereami
                  hereami commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome to the party. )
                  What did you think of using the baby yarn?
                  Do you like the results?

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
              X