This is the UK affiliate ad
LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Tunisian Crochet Hooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tunisian Crochet Hooks

Tunisian crochet hooks come in as many varieties as traditional hooks.

Straight hook (usually metal) - much like a straight knitting needle with a stopper on the end.
    Double Ended hook - a straight shaft with the same size hook at each end. (normally used for working in the round)
    Cabled hook - again, much like cabled knitting needles. Most are interchangeable.

Ultimately the choice depends on personal preference & budget

Here's just a few I found for reference. All the hooks below can be found on Amazon (use the affiliate link! 😉)
    Straight Hooks -

Budget set can run $8 - $25
    Double Ended hooks -

Sets run $10 - $50

Knit Picks Double Ended Crochet Hook Set $9.99
    Unbranded Budget set $13.99
    Denise Interchangeable Set $49.95

(I have 2 sets for double-ended stitching)
    Knitter's Pride Bamboo Interchangeable $42.72
    Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD -8/YTD -650 (2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 45/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

“Properly practiced, knitting (& crochet) soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
    Elizabeth Zimmerman with edits by me

What a great resource, thanks for sharing.

Comment

An observation from my experience; if there had been something other than bamboo years ago, I would have gotten them instead. Even though they are smooth, they just don't work as nicely as the metal or plastic ones do. I had to actually work to move the yarn instead of it gliding along. I use a lot of cotton so this may have been a factor but if I were to buy again, I would find the extra $7 and go with the Denise set.

Comment

• TexasPurl
        TexasPurl commented
        Editing a comment
        I completely agree. My first set was the bamboo with tube style cables. They were awful. I have 2 sets of Denise and love them. I had one hook that would never click in to place and they were great to replace it. You can also buy extra hooks and cables individually as you would with any interchangeable knitting needles.

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        I still have that bamboo set with the tube cables. I'm not sure why they didn't go with everything else but the one I used the most has the tube glued on. They are in my "museum".

Oh one other thing to think about, I "wasted" money on both straight hooks and double ended before realizing they are very limiting in the number of stitches you can comfortably fit on them. If you want to make things out of panels that you stitch them together, they are fine. If you want to make anything larger, you'll find yourself needing some with cables and a decision on whether to dust the straight/double ended ones or not. 😉

I love reading the reviews of various things. I thought I would add mine. I wasn't much for the plastic hooks. They kind of felt "bendy" in my hands, and I like something firmer. I tried the Knitters Pride Dreamz - I love these. If you are interested in trying before buying, you can also buy individuals. If you have their knitting interchangeable set, you can just add a crochet tip. Or buy one tip and cable without the whole kit.

Knitters Pride Dreamz (this is a search result - I definitely like the Dreamz over the bamboo)
      Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: +27; YTD -246

Comment

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with you Char I really like the Kniiter’s Pride Dreamz over others I’ve tried.

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm a convert. I tried the Denise hooks and the Addi one-click. Neither worked well for me so I tried the Dreamz. Nice sharp tips with a sharp hook to grab the yarn with and a deep throat. Nicely coated so the yarn glides along. No sore wrists - at least yet. The hook tip itself is a little longer than what I'm used to and the shortest cable is still too long but those are just things to adapt to.

TeaNSugar and KnitsWithHorses - here is a review of hooks. Thought you might be interested
      Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: +27; YTD -246

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        KnitsWithHorses - how fun! I am glad you have some on the way. I have found myself wanting a couple extra of my favorite size in anticipation of double ended Tunisian.

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        TeaNSugar, KnitsWithHorses I'm really curious to see how you like them once you've given them a go.

• KnitsWithHorses
        KnitsWithHorses commented
        Editing a comment
        pinesprairie I have some of the knitting needles so I know that they are very nice to hold and work with. I am looking for a "just right" hook that pushed through the stitch easily and grabs the yarn easily. I'm excited to try them. 😊

For some reason Amazon sent the Knitters Pride Dreams Hooks separate from the cables... well the cables arrived today but the hook won't be here till tomorrow "by 9 pm." I thought i was going to get to try them out when I got home but it was just a tease! 😭
      Natalie from Oklahoma

"Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." MLK
      Stashbuster MAL 2020 YTD +43 WTD

Comment

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        Shipping is so odd these days! Glad to hear you’ll get them today. I hope you like them!

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, soon they should be in hand! I can't wait to see if you like them!

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you have them yet?

Finally got them! These are really nice and just from my little test swatch, they are definitely more accurate than the generic bamboo one I have been using. And MAN do they feel nice in the hand. I expected that from the Dreamz knitting needles I've used. I only got two sized so I think next week I will order a couple more. Hook sizes that is. I got cables going from 16" to 60".
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20200914_195424.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	73591
      Natalie from Oklahoma

"Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." MLK
      Stashbuster MAL 2020 YTD +43 WTD

Comment

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        KnitsWithHorses 👍

• TexasPurl
        TexasPurl commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!

• DJM
        DJM commented
        Editing a comment
        So happy to hear you got your hooks and it does look so nice.

My Dreamz interchangeable hooks arrived today! Now to try them out on today's stitch. (at least they didn't come with yarn!)
      Linda
      Stasbusting week ending 9/19 WTD = 0 YTD = +160

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
      The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost"

JRR Tolkien

Comment

• crosstitchlinda
        crosstitchlinda commented
        Editing a comment
        So far I'm liking them, I do wish it had come with the 2 smaller (16" & 20" ) cables. The shortest is 24" and for squares is a bit longer than I'd like. I'll have to order the smaller ones separately.

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Yah - I was pretty quick to get a 3 pk of 8” cables.

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh good, I'm so glad you like them. I started with one 8" cable but ended up getting the 3 pack of 8" cables as well.

These little cuties finally showed up yesterday! I'm looking forward to working in thread with them!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200919_142234.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	74566
      Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD -8/YTD -650 (2019-642)(2018-109)
      Book Challenge 45/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

“Properly practiced, knitting (& crochet) soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
      Elizabeth Zimmerman with edits by me

Comment

• DJM
        DJM commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm jealous!! Can't wait to see what you make with them.

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh my goodness. I'm ready to be amazed!

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X