This is the UK affiliate ad
LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Stitch of the Week 1: Tunisian Simple Stitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stitch of the Week 1: Tunisian Simple Stitch

Hello everyone! Let's start our "Stitch of the Week" series with the Tunisian Simple Stitch!

Tunisian Crochet Basics -
    • Tunisian crochet projects are made up of a Foundation Row, multiple Forward/Return Pass Rows and, in most cases, a Bind Off Row.
    • Use a hook 2-3 times larger than the yarn band recommends.
    • Always swatch for proper tension (personal recommendation due to the many variants with stitches/hooks/yarn)
    A video tutorial is available from Moogly.com HERE.

The simple stitch is the most iconic and instantly recognizable Tunisian stitch. Most beginners learn this stitch first. It's also sometimes referred to as "the Afghan stitch" and abbreviated as "TSS" in most patterns. It has a slight curl because all the stitches are worked on the front of the project. Hence the importance of working with a proper sized hook and adjusting your tension for a nice finished fabric.

I know it's always nice to have the video tutorial, however, you should also have the resources to read a written pattern as well. Below is the written instructions for TSS:

Begin this & nearly all Tunisian projects with a Foundation Row:
    • Create a chain (later we'll explore different cast ons)
    • (1) Insert your hook into the second chain from the hook.
    • (2) Yarn over and pull up a loop. Leave that loop on your Tunisian crochet hook.
    • Repeat steps 1&2 across the row. This is your "Forward Pass". Don't turn your work.
    • Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.
    Those steps create your foundation row. You'll see your vertical bars across the row and proceed to make different types of stitches in the remaining rows of the work.

TSS with a single ended hook.

Tunisian Simple Stitch (TSS) is worked through the FRONT vertical bar.
    • Forward Pass - Insert your hook from right to left (assuming that you are right-handed), so that the hook goes behind the front vertical bar (keeping the hook to the front of the work, not front-to-back).
    • Draw up a loop. Leave it on your hook. Repeat across the row to the last vertical bar before the left edge.
    • Last stitch of the forward pass - insert your hook under the both vertical bars of the last stitch (it should look like a v on the outer edge of the work) and pull up a loop.
    • Return Pass - Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.
    Continue making Forward & Return passes to your desired length.

Bind off row.

There are only a few times when the bind off isn’t necessary. It typically isn't needed for most lace designs since that would close up an otherwise lacy project.
    • Binding off starts just as you would any other row. Insert your hook as you would for TSS.
    • Yarn over and pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook. You're only doing a slip stitch, just like any other slip stitch in regular crochet. Repeat across the row to the last stitch.
    • Last stitch - insert your hook under the both vertical bars of the last stitch (it should look like a v on the outer edge of the work) and finish the slip stitch. Chain 1, cut the yarn and pull through the loop to fasten off.
    That's the Tunisian Simple Stitch or TSS! You've done it!

TSS with a double ended hook. - A very different result if working flat.

Using a double ended hook produces a very different result when working on a flat project. Due to the unique nature of the technique, you are no longer dependent on the length of the hook to determine the width of your project. You could literally do a king size afghan with a six-inch hook!

It also gives you the option of working in the round with the same six-inch hook.

We'll explore double ended stitching in another session.

Some free patterns using TKS (video & written)

Sweet Gingham Baby Blanket (Video)
    Easy Blanket Using Tunisian Crochet (Video)
    Wingspan Scarf in Simple Stitch (Video)
    Simple Stich Fingerless Mittens (Video)
    Pink Fantasy Infinity Scarf
    Tunisian Crochet Washcloths
    Tunisian Crochet Neck Warmer

Below are some examples of TSS.
    Click image for larger versionName:	PhotoCollage2020_08_15_08_12_40.jpgViews:	0Size:	149.5 KBID:	67206

Click image for larger versionName:	PhotoCollage2020_08_15_08_16_57.jpgViews:	0Size:	178.2 KBID:	67207

Click image for larger versionName:	PhotoCollage2020_08_15_08_15_23.jpgViews:	0Size:	125.6 KBID:	67208

Lastly, the chart symbols for TSS & the return row if you have an opportunity to work with charted patterns:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	TSS.jpg Views:	0 Size:	16.0 KB ID:	67210

Attached Files
    Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD -8/YTD -650 (2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 45/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

“Properly practiced, knitting (& crochet) soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
    Elizabeth Zimmerman with edits by me

Can't wait for my hooks to arrive so I can start the swatch and the pick a project to begin. Thank you TexasPurl for taking us on this journey.

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      You're welcome! It's gonna be a fun journey. I'm looking forward to seeing the swatches & projects. 💗

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, TexasPurl! I am also waiting for hooks to arrive, mine should arrive on Tuesday 😊

TexasPurl This is awesome! Can’t wait to get started! Hopefully I’ll start on it this evening seeing what hook size is best!

Comment

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you get going on this yesterday? How is it going?

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      Char Yes, I did last night and it’s going really well. It’s stitching up nicely and the yarn is soft and easy to work with. My son and grandsons are visiting today so there won’t be much time during the day, but I’m really looking forward to getting back to it.

TexasPurl if I wanted to make squares to slip stitch together, would the slip stitch along the edges work for this?

Also, I’d like to make the squares somewhat even in size, thinking maybe I’d start with 30 stitches or so. What do you think?
    Kathie from Indiana

2020 Stashbuster: WTD - 6, YTD + 174

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      The natural edge to Tunisian will make slip stitch joins very easy.

You're on the right track with your squares. I'll be doing mine the same. Beginning with 30 stitches gives me an approximate width of 6". I'll let you all know with each new stitch how it behaves opposed to TSS so you can make necessary adjustments.

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, sounds great 😊

Oh TexasPurl, you are going to take us for a ride with this aren't you? Thank you for all you've already done to get this going, I know we will all learn a lot. I'm thanking you now for times during the journey as you keep us all going and I already know we're going to be thanking you at the end for the entire trip. You're the best!

My hooks are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Aww, Thank you! It's so nice when we have such similar interests. I get on a kick and tend to drag everyone down the rabbit hole with me! 😂😂😂

Away we go! I'll get my first square going in the morning.
    Natalie from Oklahoma

"Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." MLK
    Stashbuster MAL 2020 YTD +45 WTD +2

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Yay! I'm so excited to see everyone's work!

TexasPurl, you might not be so excited to see mine. I started with 36. 3" in, I'm at 32. 🎵A froggin' I will be, a froggin' I will be! 😅 I'm not showing anybody yet.

Comment

• DJM
      DJM commented
      Editing a comment
      Awe now I get it. I did 30 stitches and I count each row as I go, as I found I would occasionally miss the first bar (stitch) and I get to the other end and only have 29 LOL.

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      DJM I went back and look closely. I did miss the first bar once but the other three were just me grabbing two stitches on the return in 3 places. I wasn't paying close enough attention (like usual when I watch at the same time). Thanks for that, I watch it very carefully now.

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll always want to see your work, wonky or not! It's incredibly easy to miss that 1st vertical bar.

What colors did everyone choose? Are you doing one color or two?

We need pictures!!! (This means you, too, pinesprairie )
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: +27; YTD -246

Comment

I will try and post pictures when the sun gets up.

Comment

My first almost finished square. I think I will go up a few more hook sizes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6105 (2).JPG
Views:	82
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	67427

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
          KnitsWithHorses commented
          Editing a comment
          It looks very pretty with that vibrant blue.

• pinesprairie
          pinesprairie commented
          Editing a comment
          I like your color choice.

So I don't know what pulling your stitches to the top and not stopping at the front means. And how do you know how many sizes to go up? I know the rule of thumb is 2 but what do you look at to tell if that's enough?

• DJM
          DJM commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks everyone for your kind words. I started another square using a 5.5mm and I think with the larger hook I am pulling the hook to the top of my work. Time will tell as I get a few more rows done. TexasPurl thank you so for helping me along this process. It is awesome that you can look at a picture and help me.

Sneaking here quick before going outside but please don't tell on me.

Name:	TSS1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	67434
        I still have the curl on the bottom - I need to remember to go up one additional size to cast on. The selvedges are better on this one if I remember to give a little tug after getting the first bar - if I don't, I have big old sloppy loopy messy edge.

Comment

• knitter131
          knitter131 commented
          Editing a comment
          KnitsWithHorses everything you said here is the same for me. Other stitches weren’t offered, and my afghan curled up really bad. A very disappointing project for sure. I look forward to learning how to eliminate the curl 😊

• pinesprairie
          pinesprairie commented
          Editing a comment
          Well I'm going to have some curling until I learn the purl stitch on week 3. But I also seem to remember going up an additional hook size helped give that first pass some extra room. Is that not the case?

• TexasPurl
          TexasPurl commented
          Editing a comment
          pinesprairie ~ it'll certainly help with the curl. I can never remember to change my hooks. 🤔

I haven't actually started any squares yet but I've been playing with different scrap yarns to see what works best with this size hook since it's the only one I have right now. This is a heavy WW and needs a larger hook but I think Caron Simply Soft is going to work well with the J hook. This yarn (Lion Brand Basic Stitch I think it's- unlabeled.) I usually would use an H or I but Caron SS I usually use a G. I've got quite a bit of Caron in my stash so that works out well! Stash busting and learning new techniques at the same time! Excuse me while I go rummage around in my stash. 😁
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200817_100622~3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.7 KB ID:	67456
        Natalie from Oklahoma

"Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." MLK
        Stashbuster MAL 2020 YTD +45 WTD +2

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
          Editing a comment
          DJM and Kathy7661 Thank you! 😊 That was my first time in decades! It was a little tight and dense though, especially for a baby blanket which is what I plan to do first with my learning blocks. 😁

• pinesprairie
          pinesprairie commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice work! Just like riding a bicycle - you didn't forget a thing.

• KnitsWithHorses
          Editing a comment
          pinesprairie ... I'm not sure it would end well if I tried to ride a bike again after 40 years though. 🤣🤣🤣 I'll stick to horses!

My latest square attempt.

Name:	DSCN6109.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	67489

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
          Editing a comment
          Looks very nice. I'm working on getting my edges neater but yours look great!

• pinesprairie
          pinesprairie commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes ma'am, you have those edges down! Great work. It's pretty.

• DJM
          DJM commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks all. pinesprairie I struggled with the left(return) side, so I used my trusty stitch marker to get me started on the last stitch of the row.

Finished my TSS. I used Knit Picks Stroll fingering weight yarn "Spectacular Speckles" and a size H/8-5.0mm hook from my Knitter's Pride Dreamz Interchangeable crochet hook set. 30 stitches. The square has been blocked and the finished size is 5-1/2". I may (or not) put a crochet border on my squares. Looking forward to next week's stitch!
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2972.JPG Views:	17 Size:	128.1 KB ID:	67502

Comment

• pinesprairie
          pinesprairie commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! I do like that yarn and your stitching is so neat. I'm going to have to practice!

• TexasPurl
          TexasPurl commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a beauty!

• Kathy7661
          Kathy7661 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks all!

It is nearly time for me to go stash diving - I'm hoping to bring whatever masks I have done tomorrow or Wednesday for the start of school, and my needles are on the way - I suspect they'll be here just in time for me to start.
        Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: +27; YTD -246

Comment

• TexasPurl
          TexasPurl commented
          Editing a comment
          Yay! 🤗

• pinesprairie
          pinesprairie commented
          Editing a comment
          We'll be waiting!

Amazon Widget