LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Stitch of the Week 4: Tunisian Full Stitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stitch of the Week 4: Tunisian Full Stitch

Hello everyone! It's our 4th "Stitch of the Week" with the Tunisian Full Stitch!

A video tutorial for TFS is available from TL Yarn Crafts HERE.

The Tunisian Full Stitch creates a thick fabric with a woven look that can't be attained with any other form of crochet. When completing a 2-row repeat in TFS, the pattern may be called the Mesh Stitch or Goblin Stitch. It does have moderate to heavy curling effect which can be lessened with lighter tension and blocking.

TFS is made by inserting the hook between each set of vertical bars that make up the stitch from the previous row and pulling up a loop between those stitches. Note: each stitch is made up of a front and back vertical bar.

TFS has a natural diagonal bias if each row of stitches is made in the spaces between the stitches of the previous row. To balance the project, an offsetting 2 row repeat is required. If you don't compensate for working into the spaces, the work will slant towards one side, and grow by one stitch per row. Double check your stitch count often.

It's always nice to have the video tutorial, however, you should also have the resources to read a written pattern as well. Below is the written instructions for TKS:

Begin this & nearly all Tunisian projects with a Foundation Row:
    • Create a chain
    • (1) Insert your hook into the back bump of the second chain from the hook.
    • (2) Yarn over and pull up a loop. Leave that loop on your hook.
    • Repeat steps 1&2 across the row. This is your "Forward Pass". Don't turn your work.
    • Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.
    Those steps create your foundation row. You'll see your vertical bars across the row and proceed to make different types of stitches in the remaining rows of the work.

TFS with a single ended hook.
    • Row 1: Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, insert your hook, from front to back, in the space between the 1st & 2nd stitches, draw up a loop. Continue pulling up loops in this manner until you reach the space before last stitch, skip last space, TSS in the last stitch.
    Basic return pass as in prior tutorials.
    • Row 2: Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, insert your hook, from front to back, in the space between the 2st & 3rd stitches, draw up a loop. Continue pulling up loops in this manner until you reach the last stitch, TSS in the last stitch.
    Basic return pass as in prior tutorials.

Continue making Forward & Return passes to your desired length.

Bind off row.

There are only a few times when the bind off isn’t necessary. It typically isn't needed for most lace designs since that would close up an otherwise lacy project.
    • Binding off starts just as you would any other row. Insert your hook as you would for TSS.
    • Yarn over and pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook. You're only doing a slip stitch, just like any other slip stitch in regular crochet. Repeat across the row to the last stitch.
    • Last stitch - insert your hook under both vertical bars of the last stitch (it should look like a v on the outer edge of the work) and finish the slip stitch. Chain 1, cut the yarn and pull through the loop to fasten off.

TFS with a double ended hook. - Working in the round

Using a double ended hook produces the same stitch definition as working flat with a single ended hook, but gives you the ability to work in the round. TFS in the round produces a thick, woven look fabric for scarves & shawls.

Below are some examples of TFS. See the photo captions for descriptions.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Reddit1.png Views:	0 Size:	2.03 MB ID:	71694

Click image for larger version  Name:	Reddit2.png Views:	0 Size:	2.71 MB ID:	71695
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Reddit3.png Views:	0 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	71696

​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	TFS.png Views:	0 Size:	1.4 KB ID:	71697

Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD +2/YTD -30 (2020-712)(2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 1/40 (2020-55)(2019-51)(2018-35)

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.
    Crochet Is My Yoga

This is lovely!!

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      I hope you enjoy this one! It's one of my favorites, though I still struggle with my edges.

• DJM
      DJM commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm a few rows in and I am also in love with this stitch!!

Thank you TexasPurl - your samples look beautiful 😊. Thanks for all the time and effort you take to provide these tutorials. I can’t wait to get started 😊😊
    Kathie from Indiana

2021 Stashbuster: WTD + 2, YTD + 7

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh you're welcome! I'm having so much fun with it!

This is beautiful! Thank you so much for setting this up. I am going to try this this morning.
    Knitting is happening here! ❀️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD 0; YTD 0
    Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

Comment

Finished my square. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0447-1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	71945

Comment

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        It's so neat! You've got this stitch down pat.

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice!

• DJM
        DJM commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you both. I am loving this stitch.

Here's my first block for this week. Love this stitch!!!πŸ’ž
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200906-162114_Messenger.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	72017
      Natalie from Oklahoma

Jer 9:11-13
      "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -29. WTD -34
      2021 50 New-to-me Books: 3

Comment

• TexasPurl
        TexasPurl commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        Look at you go! Nice.

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great!

I’ve started putting my white border around the squares, two rounds of white. Here’s this weeks square, after blocking I found a few oops stitches 😐. It’s another cloudy day here, this is actually a peach color.

Name:	5EE90707-4ADF-44DF-A560-1CF0A9F3CBB3.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	72044
      Kathie from Indiana

2021 Stashbuster: WTD + 2, YTD + 7

Comment

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        Peach it is and it looks like one! Hehe. I like the border too, I think I'm going to have to add that as well.

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great! I really like the border on the squares, just seems to finish them off nicely.

• knitter131
        knitter131 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, TexasPurl pinesprairie and Kathy7661 😊😊

I crocheted week 4 yesterday.

TexasPurl This has been such a wonderful road you are leading us down. Thank you.

Name:	879460E2-7F81-4AE1-A24F-EEC19F6E65B3.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	72319
      Knitting is happening here! ❀️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD 0; YTD 0
      Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

Comment

• TexasPurl
        TexasPurl commented
        Editing a comment
        ooh! Pretty! πŸ˜ŠπŸ’—

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you everyone

• TeaNSugar
        TeaNSugar commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a pretty stitch. Very nice!

Week 4 TFS
      The weeks are just flying by!

Name:	7E0E87C1-24E1-42F3-B504-AB0F4B97292E.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	73149

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        KnitsWithHorses commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you steam yours or block then somehow? They look so pretty and neat!

• pinesprairie
        pinesprairie commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice nice work, as usual. I can't wait to see your blocks all put together with all the colors you're using.

• Kathy7661
        Kathy7661 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you all for the nice comments! πŸ’•
        KnitsWithHorses I block them. Pin them out with t-pins. I pin them mainly just to square them a bit and to get them to lay flat.

My tension must be loosening up.

I am caught up and ready to begin the newest block. I will block my squares later.
      Really enjoyed this pattern.
      Attached Files
      Book Challenge 51/50
      2020 stash busting WTD. 0 YTD. +65

Comment

• DJM
        DJM commented
        Editing a comment
        Well done, it looks great!! I also liked working this block.

• KnitsWithHorses
        KnitsWithHorses commented
        Editing a comment
        Isn't this one fun? I can see myself using this one a lot. Yours looks great, of course!

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        You caught up fast!

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X