LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Stitch of the Week 6: Tunisian Honeycomb Stitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stitch of the Week 6: Tunisian Honeycomb Stitch

Hello everyone! It's "Stitch of the Week" #6 with the Tunisian Honeycomb Pattern!
    We've covered the basic of stitches in Tunisian, now it's time to combine them for some interesting patterns.

A video tutorial for the Honeycomb stitch pattern is available from TL Tarn Crafts & KnitDenise.

The Tunisian Honeycomb pattern is achieved in a 2 row repeat by combining TSS (Tunisian Simple Stitch) & TPS (Tunisian Purl Stitch) consecutively across the 1st row, then TPS & TSS consecutively across the 2nd row. Usually worked over an odd number of stitches. The Honeycomb pattern has little to no curling due to the use of alternating front & back starting position stitches.

This stitch pattern is quite stunning on it's own & by adding a contrast color as the return pass when working in the round will truly make it stand out.
    It can also serve as a built in border by working the Honeycomb pattern as you would a garter stitch selvage in knitting.

It's always nice to have the video tutorial, however, you should also have the resources to read a written pattern as well. Below is the written instructions for the Honeycomb pattern:

Begin this & nearly all Tunisian projects with a Foundation Row:
    Most published Honeycomb patterns call for an odd number of stitches.
    • Create an odd number of chains.
    • (1) Insert your hook into the back bump of the second chain from the hook.
    • (2) Yarn over and pull up a loop. Leave that loop on your hook. Repeat steps 1&2 across the row. This is your "Forward Pass". Don't turn your work.
    Or
    • Experiment with one of the alternative casts on from our alternative cast-ons post.
    • Yarn over and draw through one loop only. *Yarn over and draw through two loops.* Repeat *-* to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.
    Those steps create your foundation row. You'll see your vertical bars across the row and proceed to make different types of stitches in the remaining rows of the work.

Honeycomb Stitch with a single ended hook. 2 Row Repeat
    • Row 1. Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, *TSS in the next stitch, TPS in the following stitch*. Repeat *-* until the last 2 stitches remain. TSS in both.
    Basic return pass as in prior tutorials.
    • Row 2. Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, *TPS in the next stitch, TSS in the following stitch*. Repeat *-* to the end.
    Basic return pass as in prior tutorials.

Continue rows 1&2 to your desired length. Ending with a row 1.

Bind off row.

There are only a few times when the bind off isn’t necessary. It typically isn't needed for most lace designs since that would close up an otherwise lacy project.
    • Binding off in pattern. Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook,* insert hook as if to TPS in the next stitch;
    • Yarn over and pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook. You're only doing a slip stitch, just like any other slip stitch in regular crochet.
    • insert hook as if to TSS in the next stitch;
    • Yarn over and pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook.*
    • Repeat * - * across the row to the last stitch.
    • Last stitch - insert your hook under both vertical bars of the last stitch (it should look like a v on the outer edge of the work) and finish the slip stitch. Chain 1, cut the yarn and pull through the loop to fasten off.

Free Patterns - Video & Written

Honeycomb Cowl (Written)
    Easy Tunisian Honeycomb Stitch Dishcloth (Written)
    Amelia Tunisian Crochet Dress (Written)
    Malibu Pillow (Written)
    Tunisian Honeycomb Scarf (Video)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Flat.png
Views:	144
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	74391

Name:	THS ITR.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	74392

Name:	THS.png
Views:	109
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	74393
    Debbie

Stashbusting MAL WTD +4/YTD -162 (2020-712)(2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 17/30 (2020-55)(2019-51)(2018-35)

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.
    Crochet Is My Yoga

Ohhh - this is beautiful!!! even more striking as a two color. I may need to decide what my other color(s) will be so I can use two colors.
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD +106; YTD +246
    Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

Comment

Oh goody, I watched a video this week and loved the look, can't wait to try.

Comment

Oh this looks fun!
        Natalie from Oklahoma

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
        ~~Samuel Adams

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -34 WTD -12
        2021 50 New-to-me Books: 16
        National Craft Month: 2503 of 1760 yards

Comment

Had to run to the feed store so I did this on the ride over and back.

Name:	IMG_20200919_152709.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	74492
          Natalie from Oklahoma

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
          ~~Samuel Adams

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -34 WTD -12
          2021 50 New-to-me Books: 16
          National Craft Month: 2503 of 1760 yards

Comment

Hi everyone. For some reason I am not seeing my honeycomb. At first I thought it was because my white yarn has too much of a halo to it and was hiding the pattern. So I worked up two more swatches. The top on a larger Tunisian hook with gray yarn. The bottom using a regular crochet hook and purple yarn.

I can see diagonals...but not honeycombs.
          Am I just not seeing them...or am I doing something wrong?
          Attached Files
          Book Challenge 20/50
          2021 stash busting WTD. o YTD. 6

Comment

• TexasPurl
            TexasPurl commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry I didn't see this earlier. It was late when all the company left. It seems to be an issue with the purl stitch. I'll try to re-create in the morning.

• TexasPurl
            TexasPurl commented
            Editing a comment
            I may have discovered the issue. It looks as though you're making the purl stitches through the back vertical bar with the yarn in front instead of the front vertical bar with the yarn in front. That would bring the return pass to the front of the work adding visual depth to the purl stitch.

• hereami
            hereami commented
            Editing a comment
            So this hot mess has been figured out. Thankfully...cause everyone said it was an easy and popular stitch...so I felt like a complete failure by getting it wrong.
            (You all didn't make me feel bad...I just felt that way all by myself)

I took advice from here, and watched a bunch of videos. Turns out I was doing a few things.
            Sometimes I was holding the yarn in the wrong place. Sometimes I was choosing the wrong side to grab the stitch. (I had even gone to the back of my work to grab a stitch.) Sometimes I was not doing the opposite stitch from the row below.

I had to slow way down, re-read the directions, watch the videos above. I also found several others online that were helpful.
            HappyBerry Crochet,

Creative Grandma. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ70h1fLxWE

(this one helped me a lot. She went slowly, her voice is pleasant and patient. On her video, about 6 minutes in, she taught me how to read my stitches.) I subscribed to this one...she was that helpful to me.

Well now I don't know. It might just be the angle you're looking at it.....

The knit stitch on the prev row (see how it looks like it's just a diagonal line there)

Name:	Knit.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	74694

Purl on the previous (I still can really see the diagonal)

Name:	Purl.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	74695

But here's where it's 'straight' - under the hook

Name:	Honeycomb.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	74696

And here I thought I could help but I'm not sure I did.

Comment

• hereami
            hereami commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you. This was a helpful hint in order for me to be able to read my stitches.

Name:	DSC_0559 (2).JPG
Views:	117
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	74834 I finished my Herringbone square and tried to due colorwork. Having fun. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0545.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	74833

Comment

• Kathy7661
            Kathy7661 commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great!

• hereami
            hereami commented
            Editing a comment
            nice work. The pink is so cheery and nice.
            I am looking forward to using two colors for this as well.

• DJM
            DJM commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Kathy7661 and hereami I liked the two colors, however I don't think it shows the pattern as much as I had hoped.

I really like this stitch. I've gotten past the fiddlyness of the purl stitch so this flies off the hook (IF I'm paying attention!)

Name:	Honeycomb.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	74920

My bind off is much tighter than my cast on so am going to have to work on that and getting the tension on the sides a bit more even.

Comment

• pinesprairie
            pinesprairie commented
            Editing a comment
            knitter131 Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a go. I think trying different cast ons is making them very loose also. hereami, did you come up with something to get them more even? Thanks Char, did I say I really like this stitch?

• hereami
            hereami commented
            Editing a comment
            pinesprairie

What is working for me is repeating in my head to loosen up....and bringing out a previous block that I like so that I can compare. And if I notice I just can not get the tension right I walk away for a bit. My yarn tension really reflects my moods. Haven't found anything to cure that. So I switch projects a lot. I have heard others switch hook sizes. I don't have many tunisian hooks so haven't tried that. Putting a border on helps to cover my mistakes.

I have multiple things on the needles/hooks at any one time. Sometimes they are only squares. My Tunisian squares fit in my relaxed at home project category.
            ~out and about while stressed project.
            ~sitting at home relaxed project.
            ~sitting at home stressed project.

• pinesprairie
            pinesprairie commented
            Editing a comment
            hereami That reminder to self to loosen up is a wise one. I do find if I slow down and crochet (in my mind) 'sloppy big', it comes out much better. I'll try the walking away idea too. Thanks!

Here’s my square 😊. I enjoyed this stitch pattern! The light is terrible, it’s actually yellow center with white border.

Name:	DDC882B9-058D-4CF6-A250-D734961281B2.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	75221
          Kathie from Indiana

2021 Stashbuster: WTD +4, YTD -34

Comment

• pinesprairie
            pinesprairie commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh yes, mighty fine looking. It's so even! I haven't put borders on mine yet , I'm not sure I'm going to.

• knitter131
            knitter131 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, everyone. I’m really enjoying making these different squares. I’m going to add some squares of simple stitch to make my baby blanket. After next weeks square I think I will have enough.

• Kathy7661
            Kathy7661 commented
            Editing a comment
            Nicely done. Great stitch definition!

Finished my square. Once my brain and my hands started working together, this pattern was very enjoyable.
          Attached Files
          Book Challenge 20/50
          2021 stash busting WTD. o YTD. 6

Comment

• DJM
            DJM commented
            Editing a comment
            Well done!! I love the colors.

• TexasPurl
            TexasPurl commented
            Editing a comment
            Yay! So glad you were able to work it out. They look great!

I have finished my week six - just in time to get week 7 tomorrow!

LOL I guess I should add a photo.

Name:	D8C2D30A-5787-4D45-B193-C4AAC6D807B7.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	75797
          Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD +106; YTD +246
          Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

Comment

• pinesprairie
            pinesprairie commented