728 X 90
Accuquilt Dynamic Promo

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Stitch of the Week 7: Tunisian Simple Crossed Stitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stitch of the Week 7: Tunisian Simple Crossed Stitch

Hello everyone! It's "Stitch of the Week" #7 with the Tunisian Simple Crossed Stitch! We have 2 methods for this stitch pattern, Aligned & Offset.

A video tutorial for the Aligned Simple Crossed Stitch is available from CrochetKim HERE & KnitDenise HERE.
    A video tutorial for the Offset Simple Crossed Stitch is available from KnitDenise HERE & CrochetKim HERE

The Tunisian Simple Crossed Stitch (Tcross) is a variation on Tunisian Simple Stitch (TSS) worked over an even number of stitches. This stitch pattern adds texture and an interesting pattern to your project.

This stitch has a moderate tendency to curl and can be reduced if you go up a hook size or lessen your tension and always block the finished project. In addition, it pulls the fabric inward horizontally. You may find you need to increase your hook size more than what you think necessary.

Unfortunately, I've been unable to find any published patterns using this stitch.

It's always nice to have the video tutorial, however, you should also have the resources to read a written pattern as well. Below is the written instructions for the Simple Crossed Stitch pattern:

Begin this & nearly all Tunisian projects with a Foundation Row:
    Most published Honeycomb patterns call for an odd number of stitches.
    • Create an even number of chains.
    • (1) Insert your hook into the back bump of the second chain from the hook.
    • (2) Yarn over and pull up a loop. Leave that loop on your hook.
    • Repeat steps 1&2 across the row. This is your "Forward Pass". Don't turn your work.
    • Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.
    Those steps create your foundation row. You'll see your vertical bars across the row and proceed to make different types of stitches in the remaining rows of the work.

*Aligned Simple Crossed Stitch with a single ended hook. (1 row repeat)
    • Row 1. Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, *sk the next vertical bar, insert hook (as TSS) in the next vertical bar, pull up a loop. Insert hook (as TSS) under the skipped vertical bar, pull up a loop. (Tcross)* Repeat *-* until the last selvage stitch remains. TSS
    Basic return pass as in prior tutorials.

Continue to your desired length.

Bind off in pattern.
    • *Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, sk the next vertical bar, insert hook in the next vertical bar, pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook.
    • Insert hook under the skipped vertical bar, pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook.*
    • Repeat * - * across the row to the last stitch.
    • Last stitch - insert your hook under both vertical bars of the last stitch (it should look like a v on the outer edge of the work) and finish the slip stitch. Chain 1, cut the yarn and pull through the loop to fasten off.

*Offset Simple Crossed Stitch with a single ended hook. (2 row repeat)

Create a foundation row as with the Aligned method above.
    • Row 1. Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, *sk the next vertical bar, insert hook (as TSS) in the next vertical bar, pull up a loop. Insert hook (as TSS) under the skipped vertical bar, pull up a loop. (Tcross)* Repeat *-* until the last selvage stitch remains. TSS
    • Row 2. Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, TSS, *sk the next vertical bar, insert hook (as TSS) in the next vertical bar, pull up a loop. Insert hook (as TSS) under the skipped vertical bar, pull up a loop. (Tcross), TSS* Repeat *-* until the last selvage stitch remains. TSS

Continue rows 1&2 to your desired length. Ending with a row 1.

Bind off in pattern.
    • Insert hook in the next vertical bar, pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook. *Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, sk the next vertical bar, insert hook in the next vertical bar, pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook.
    • Insert hook under the skipped vertical bar, pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook.*
    • Repeat * - * across the row to the last 2 stitches. Insert hook in the next vertical bar, pull up a loop. Continue pulling through the loop on the hook.
    • Last stitch - insert your hook under both vertical bars of the last stitch (it should look like a v on the outer edge of the work) and finish the slip stitch. Chain 1, cut the yarn and pull through the loop to fasten off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Aligned Front.jpg Views:	36 Size:	194.8 KB ID:	75932Click image for larger version  Name:	Offset Front.jpg Views:	27 Size:	201.8 KB ID:	75933
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Cross Stitch ITR.jpg Views:	27 Size:	133.5 KB ID:	75934

Click image for larger version  Name:	Aligned Cross Stitch.png Views:	26 Size:	7.4 KB ID:	75935Click image for larger version  Name:	Offset Cross Stitch.png Views:	26 Size:	7.4 KB ID:	75936
    Last edited by TexasPurl; 09-28-2020, 12:21 PM.
    Debbie

Stashbusting MAL WTD 0/YTD -372 (2020-712)(2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 18/30 (2020-55)(2019-51)(2018-35)

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.
    Crochet Is My Yoga

Woo Hoo another great stitch. Can't wait to start. Thanks so much.

Comment

Hmmm - I think I should wait until I get home to try this - I only have one hook with me.
      Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD + 0; YTD +417
      Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

Comment

This is the offset version. I'm n fixing to try the straight version too but I like the look of the offset so I tried it first. It looks a bit sloppy but hopefully that will improve with practice.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200927_135423.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	76085
        Natalie from Oklahoma

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
        ~~Samuel Adams

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -48 WTD
        2021 50 New-to-me Books: 16

Comment

• DJM
          DJM commented
          Editing a comment
          I normally do ignore the clutter, however they are here for about a week and our family member would probably declutter when I'm not looking, then I'll never find anything LOL...

• pinesprairie
          pinesprairie commented
          Editing a comment
          DJM Lol, that's a very good reason!

• TexasPurl
          TexasPurl commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! It's so pretty in that color too!

Here we go, a little hole in there where I missed something and did the bind off on the wrong pass but this guys done.

Name:	Tuni7.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	76099

Comment

• knitter131
          knitter131 commented
          Editing a comment
          pinesprairie your yarn will be great for dishcloths, and the stitch definition is great!

• TexasPurl
          TexasPurl commented
          Editing a comment
          Look at those pretty stitches!

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          I see nothing wrong - looks great to me!!!

This week’s square

Name:	7B88E385-FDD0-4CFE-9656-3E2BDF7677CF.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	76126
        Kathie from Indiana

2021 Stashbuster: WTD + 4, YTD - 65

Comment

• DJM
          DJM commented
          Editing a comment
          So pretty and bright!!

• TexasPurl
          TexasPurl commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a pretty one!

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          Very pretty

Here is my aligned version. Still kinda sloppy...

Name:	IMG_20200927_215424.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	76131
        Natalie from Oklahoma

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
        ~~Samuel Adams

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -48 WTD
        2021 50 New-to-me Books: 16

Comment

• TexasPurl
          TexasPurl commented
          Editing a comment
          I love it!

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks very pretty - but I am partial to that color.

• KnitsWithHorses
          KnitsWithHorses commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks y'all. I love this color too. I wish I could find more if it. Well, when I have a yarn budget again. It's another Loops & Threads product called Joy DK.

I don't see where you think they are sloppy. If you mean those little holes, I think it will all come out in the block/wash. I actually had to go down a size because my stitches really were sloppy and I found going smaller helped. I've also figured out that because I'm such a tight crocheter, I have to figure out which size hook for every stitch as I don't seem to get the tension the same yet. Maybe someday!

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
          Editing a comment
          Maybe I will play around with the hook size. I'm hoping when they are all sewn into a blanket some of the wonky bits will block out. I'm not being too persnickety at this point. Just having fun learning all the new stitches!

• TexasPurl
          TexasPurl commented
          Editing a comment
          Tunisian is so fickle. It may be one of the reasons it's not tremendously popular. It's like a continuous experiment figuring out the best tension on which hook with any given yarn.

• pinesprairie
          pinesprairie commented
          Editing a comment
          TexasPurl, I agree. It's slow for me because I do have to stop and figure out what works each time. I can get a faster rhythm in each block going but it still feels slow - and I always want to go fast.

I finished my blocks. I did them first in the dusty rose color then in my white. I liked these patterns and thought they were easy. Getting the tension right so that I could actually see the 'x'. Most of the time I am seeing an 'A'. But...that's okay.
        Attached Files
        Book Challenge 23/50
        2021 stash busting WTD. 6 YTD.12

Comment

• pinesprairie
          pinesprairie commented
          Editing a comment
          They all look great, you did a great job with the tension. Your stitches look very neat and tidy. I liked these stitches as well but I still see an 'A'. I'm beginning to think the lighter colors don't show the stitch definition quite as much, but that could just be the light - or lack thereof - when I take the pictures.

• KnitsWithHorses
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful work!

• TexasPurl
          TexasPurl commented
          Editing a comment
          They look great!

Don't know what the camera is doing today, this is the same yarn. LOL

Name:	DSCN6292.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	76608Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6294 (2).JPG
Views:	96
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	76609

Comment

• hereami
          hereami commented
          Editing a comment
          very nice. Good job on the stitches.
          Do you find it helpful to block the squares right away?
          I am saving my blocking work for later.

• DJM
          DJM commented
          Editing a comment
          hereami Thank you. I'm not blocking my squares, just pinning them up so I can take a picture of them. I'm waiting until I get them all done before I put a boarder on them block them.

• TexasPurl
          TexasPurl commented
          Editing a comment
          How pretty! I just love seeing all these fun blocks!

These look so nice DJM! All nice and tidy. Do you favor one stitch over the other?

Comment

• DJM
          DJM commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the aligned will make a nice cowl and I might try a top using the offset (this won't be for awhile). I needed to pay more attention to the offset.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
      X