LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Stitch of the Week 9: Tunisian Half-Double Stitch - Simple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stitch of the Week 9: Tunisian Half-Double Stitch - Simple

Hello everyone! It's Stitch of the Week #9 with the Tunisian Half-Double Stitch - Simple.

A video tutorial for the Half-Double Stitch is available from The Crochet Crowd HERE & CrochetKim HERE.
    (The 1st video recommends a ch1 at the beginning of the forward pass. I find this unnecessary as the stitch doesn't add height, only width to the fabric.)

The Tunisian Half-Double is essentially a utility stitch to enhance basic stitches. It's made much the same as a traditional half-double crochet stitch without closing the stitch. The simple addition of a yarn over before making a simple stitch, knit stitch, reverse stitch or any of the variations of these stitches adds additional texture and density to a project. Bonus - no curl!

Written instructions:

Foundation Row:
    • Create any number of chains.
    • (1) YO, insert your hook into the back bump of the second chain from the hook.
    • (2) yo and pull up a loop. Leave both loops on your hook.
    Repeat steps 1&2 across the row. This is your "Forward Pass". Don't turn your work.
    • Yarn over and draw through one loop only. *Yarn over, draw through three loops (ch, yo & st)*. Repeat *-* until only 1 loop remains on the hook.

Half-Double Stitch
    • Forward pass. Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook & the diagonal yo, *yo, insert the hook under the next 2 bars (the vertical stitch & the diagonal yo), yo & pull up a stitch*, repeat *-* to last stitch, yo, TSS in the last stitch.
    • Return pass. Yarn over and draw through one loop only. *Yarn over, draw through three loops (ch, yo & st)*. Repeat *-* until only 1 loop remains on the hook.

Bind off in pattern.
    • Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook & the diagonal yo, *yo, insert the hook under the next 2 bars (the vertical stitch & the diagonal yo), yo & pull up a loop. Continue pulling the loop through the yo & the first loop on the hook.
    • Last stitch - yo, insert your hook under the both vertical bars of the last stitch (it should look like a v on the outer edge of the work) and pull through all loops on the hook. Chain 1, cut the yarn and pull through the loop to fasten off.

Free Patterns

Tunisian Half Double Stitch Cowl Video
    Tunisian Colorblock Scarf Written

Click image for larger version

Name:	Half Double Front.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	77718Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201006_150420329.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	77719

Name:	THDs.png
Views:	84
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	77720

Debbie

Stashbusting MAL WTD +4/YTD -162 (2020-712)(2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 17/30 (2020-55)(2019-51)(2018-35)

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.
    Crochet Is My Yoga

I like the looks of this newest stitch.

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Yay! Have some fun with it!

Looks beautiful!!! Thank you so much TexasPurl - you are doing a wonderful job with these patterns.
    Knitting is happening here! ❀️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD +106; YTD +246
    Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Char! It's been so fun. I may be learning more than you all with this journey.

Interesting! So would it be Half-double-knit if you incorporated this technique with the Tunisian knit stitch and Half-double Full stitch etc? I'm going to have fun playing with this one too. I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the work you've put into this for us. πŸ€—
    Natalie from Oklahoma

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    ~~Samuel Adams

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -34 WTD -12
    2021 50 New-to-me Books: 16
    National Craft Month: 2503 of 1760 yards

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      That's correct. It doesn't apply to the purl stitch though. You can create several new blocks by incorporating this one little yarn over technique! How fun!

Thank you, TexasPurl. I can’t wait to get started on this next stitch. Happy camping, can’t wait to hear all about it!
    Kathie from Indiana

2021 Stashbuster: WTD +4, YTD -34

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking forward to seeing all the swatches!

I agree with everyone, this stitch looks like great fun. I might skip last weeks and see if I can catch up with this one. I too must express my gratitude for your efforts TexasPurl, I know what it takes to do something of this magnitude.

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe it's one of my favorites! I have to thank each one of you all for the interest in my Tunisian obsession. 😊

This was a quick and easy stitch.

Name:	DSCN6303.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	77955

Comment

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice, and the color is beautiful 😊

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Very pretty!

• DJM
      DJM commented
      Editing a comment
      knitter131 and TexasPurl Thank you!!

Finished!

Name:	53B10E8F-7294-40A6-8915-142ECCEEE097.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	78100
    Kathie from Indiana

2021 Stashbuster: WTD +4, YTD -34

Comment

I looked at the videos linked plus a couple of others and find it fascinating how many slight variations there are with this stitch. I made a potholder because this stitch has really no tendency to roll so it's kinda perfect for pot holders etc. Mine came out looking almost like a rib stitch. Tomorrow I want to play around with other variations and see if they look different. I really like the blue sample from TexasPurl but mine doesn't really look like that.... This was kinda sleepy stitching so hopefully I'll figure it out tomorrow. Either way, I like my potholder!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20201012_204938.jpg Views:	0 Size:	203.1 KB ID:	78386
    Natalie from Oklahoma

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom - go from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    ~~Samuel Adams

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -34 WTD -12
    2021 50 New-to-me Books: 16
    National Craft Month: 2503 of 1760 yards

Comment

• knitter131
      knitter131 commented
      Editing a comment
      I also like your pot holder! I also saw the variations you did on the videos. I finally went back to texaspurls written directions and followed them as closely as possible. It’s fun seeing the different variations, though. Your yarn is beautiful πŸŽƒπŸŽƒ

• DJM
      DJM commented
      Editing a comment
      I love how we can all use the same stitch and they are all unique. Your yarn is so pretty and I love you are making potholders.

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks y'all. The yarn is LB Comfy Cotton Blend. I got on clearance a couple of years ago. knitter131 I actually followed @TexasPurl's written instructions for this one, believe it or not. But after watching a few videos, I think my problem is tension. Someone in one of the videos said tension on this stitch can make quite a bit if difference in the appearance.
      DJM I agree! It makes this a fun stitch to play with!

late to posting.
    Sorry for the late, hastily taken photo.
    I did enjoy making this square.

love everyone work.
    Attached Files
    Book Challenge 20/50
    2021 stash busting WTD. o YTD. 6

Comment

• DJM
      DJM commented
      Editing a comment
      I love your block!!

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Pretty stitches!

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      So neat and tidy, it really is interesting to see the different variations. And no apologies necessary.

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
X