LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Stitch of the Week 11: Tunisian Griddle Stitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stitch of the Week 11: Tunisian Griddle Stitch

Hello everyone! It's "Stitch of the Week" #11 with the Tunisian Griddle Stitch

A video tutorial for the Griddle Stitch is available from The Crochet Crowd

The Tunisian Griddle Stitch is another combination pattern using the Simple Stitch (TSS) and the Double Stitch-Simple (TDS-S). It creates a highly textured, dense fabric. It's made much the same as the Lemon Peel stitch in traditional crochet. Another pattern that doesn't curl! Yay!

Written instructions:

Foundation Row:
    • Create an even number of chains
    • (1) Insert your hook into the second chain from the hook.
    • (2) Yarn over and pull up a loop. Leave that loop on your hook.
    • Repeat steps 1&2 across the row. This is your "Forward Pass". Don't turn your work.
    • Yarn over and draw through one loop only. (Yarn over and draw through two loops.) Repeat () to the end. You should have one loop on your hook.

Griddle Stitch
    • Row 1 - Forward pass. Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, *insert the hook under the next vertical bar and pull up a loop, yo, insert the hook under the next vertical bar and pull up a loop, yo & pull through 2 loops*, repeat *-* to last stitch, yo, insert the hook under the 2 vertical bars of the last stitch and pull up a loop. Basic Return Pass
    • Row 2 - Forward pass. Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, ch1, *yo, insert the hook under the next vertical bar and pull up a loop, yo & pull through 2 loops, insert the hook under the next vertical bar and pull up a loop, *, repeat *-* to last stitch, yo, insert the hook under the 2 vertical bars of the last stitch and pull up a loop, yo & pull through 2 loops. Basic Return Pass
    Repeat Rows 1 & 2 to desired length.

Bind off in TSS.
    • Skip first vertical bar directly beneath the loop on the hook, *yo, insert the hook under the next vertical bar and pull through all loops*, repeat *-* to last stitch, yo, insert the hook under the 2 vertical bars of the last stitch and pull through all loops.
    • Chain 1, cut the yarn and pull through the loop to fasten off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201016_205515831.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	79930

Name:	Griddle.png
Views:	94
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	79931

Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD +2/YTD -30 (2020-712)(2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 1/40 (2020-55)(2019-51)(2018-35)

I've come to the conclusion that collecting yarn, and using yarn are two entirely separate hobbies.
    Crochet Is My Yoga

Yeah, another beautiful stitch!! Thanks TexasPurl for taking us on this amazing journey.

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      So happy you're enjoying it!

I use the regular crochet version of this all the time so I'm looking forward to playing with the tunisian version.
    Natalie from Oklahoma

Jer 9:11-13
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD +5. WTD
    2021 50 New-to-me Books 0.

Comment

working on this now.

TexasPurl your instructions are fantastic.
    But I wanted to also thank you for the youtube links. The ones you have chosen for us along the way are very helpful. I find the Crochet Crowd ones relaxing and easy to listen to as well as very helpful.
    Thank you.
    Book Challenge 51/50
    2020 stash busting WTD. 0 YTD. +65

Comment

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      hereami I agree. I hope this Tunisian section stays here for a long time (forever) as it is handy to come back to if needed for the reason you describe. You don't have to sort through all kinds of things to find something that works. So again, thanks TexasPurl, we appreciate the time & effort you're putting into your 'exploration'.

I added some griddle stitch to my full size tunisian stitch sampler afghan that is all scrap yarn. And then I added it to my baby blanket. And now I'm working on a pot holder. Safe to say I like this stitch.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20201024_193315.jpg Views:	0 Size:	192.2 KB ID:	80057Click image for larger version  Name:	20201024_193347.jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.8 KB ID:	80058
    Natalie from Oklahoma

Jer 9:11-13
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD +5. WTD
    2021 50 New-to-me Books 0.

Comment

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yes, it looks very nice. So different with the 2 colors. It adds that bit of spice.

• DJM
      DJM commented
      Editing a comment
      Wonderful!!

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks y'all. 😊

finally got around to posting a picture.

Attached Files
    Book Challenge 51/50
    2020 stash busting WTD. 0 YTD. +65

Comment

• DJM
      DJM commented
      Editing a comment
      I finished mine, however it's been raining and dreary for the past couple days, waiting for some sunshine to take pictures. I am also enjoying these blocks.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      The pieces you posted today are so pretty! I thought I was going to get organized, but didn't quite get there. Sooo tired still, and can't concentrate.

• pinesprairie
      pinesprairie commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh this is a nice one also, your stitches are really neatly done.

How is everyone doing on their pieces this week? I am going to work on some from the weeks I didn't finish during my zoom meet. Hoping I can catch up before our next stitch comes!
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WTD 0; YTD 0
    Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

Comment

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      It'll be here in the morning! It's a gorgeous one too! The Lattice Stitch. 😊

I finally made my square today, I really like this stitch combo! Yarn is Bernat Baby Sport in a pastel variegated.

Name:	A60E57B7-3713-45C9-847B-A867393F7A23.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	80614
    Kathie from Indiana

2021 Stashbuster: WTD + 2, YTD + 7

Comment

I finally got a picture of my block. A week of rain and snow, please send sunshine!!

Name:	DSCN6350.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	80862

Comment

• DJM
      DJM commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the 🌞!! I'll take it any way I can get it..

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses commented
      Editing a comment
      We had the cold and ice last week but it's sunny and beautiful this week so hopefully you'll get the nice stuff next week.

• TexasPurl
      TexasPurl commented
      Editing a comment
      Gosh, your blocks are so pretty!

I am way behind, and my first square was horrible! Tried it again today, looks better, but still not quite right. The stitch is easy once you get going, I’ve enjoyed making it.

Name:	C435F016-2ECF-4F7F-B292-6DCB4E935660.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	222.3 KB
ID:	83091

Kathie from Indiana

2021 Stashbuster: WTD + 2, YTD + 7

Comment

• DJM
      DJM commented
      Editing a comment
      Looking good!!