Favorite Books on Dyeing

Hi guys. Still getting used to the new website. Haven’t even figured out how to comment. I am an indie Dyer and love it. Just thought we could do a thread on your favorite dyeing books. I have a stack of them. I am really enjoying the simplicity of a book I got called hand dyeing yarn and fleece. Synthetic dyes for Natural fibers is fascinating to me as well. I love reading the science in that one.

@Stephyinamarillo I’ll be watching this thread. Every once in a while I decide I need to dye some yarn. I’m always interested in reading about new-to-me techniques. The internet is a great resource, but sometimes a good book is a more reliable resource.

I like to have books also. I like Rebecca Burgess’s dye book for natural dying. Every dyer has their own way and sometimes it can all get confusing. The basics seem to be the same but experimenting with those basics can get you your own personal results.

@Bettymo I agree about experimenting. That’s mostly what I do. I mean, I can’t even follow a pattern without making changes, so it could be futile making me follow a recipe when dyeing. Of course, I don’t dye yarn to sell, so if I get too carried away it doesn’t really matter.

I also agree with @Bettymo and @knitterlady13 about experimenting. I keep notes about what I do when I dye, but I definitely don’t do the math for depth-of-shade, etc., as it makes my head spin. I’m not very scientific… I do make a general plan of the colors I want when I begin a dye session, but usually find that I look at what the dyes are doing as they strike and make adjustments. Fortunately, my efforts are repeatable most of the time. :slight_smile:

Though I can’t say this is my actual favorite…it is my ONLY dyeing book so by default, I guess it kind of is. “Dyeing to Spin &Knit” by Felicia Lo. Beautiful pictures, great instructions. I bought it specifically to learn how to mix my own colors. Can’t wait to get started trying!

I am not a note taker either…What did I do? Hmmm I don’t remember. But that’s ok. It’s not a life or death think for me either. Just enjoy the magic.

Nice. Thanks for sharing that book info. I had not heard of it.

I have a book on color theory. I got a headache trying to understand what it was trying to teach me. But then I didn’t use any of the info so it disappeared from my brain. There’s just something about hue and saturation that makes my head swim. Hopefully, it I read it enough time from enough sources, it will eventually stick.

Bwahaha I am a chemist by trade and actually bought a chemistry article on nyolamine dyes. I have done triad dyeing and love that. I am also interested in doing the Redding method course this fall online!

Really?? I didn’t see that. That makes me happier!

I have wanted to take her course for a long time. The price and the distance has made it impossible.

@Callielw. I watched Natalie’s kettle dying video about 2-3 years ago and dyed up a ton of fiber all different colors that way. Very easy and came out nice. All in a bag just waiting to be carded and spun. I am lucky enough to be close by but have never been to Namaste Farms and I have never met Natalie tho we had a wonderful mutual friend who is no longer alive. Janice Rosema. She is the woman I got my Spinolutions from. One of the very first dealers. More than you needed to know I guess. Just sharing. :wink:

I love to dye and have done some top dyeing. really interested in speckle dyeing and wondering how they did it.

Fun to know. Though I am sorry for the loss of your friend. I first saw a magazine article about a model-turned-shepherd (Natalie). Then watched her show “Shear Madness”. I’d love to dye like she does. I checked and the classes aren’t as bad as I thought they were going to be.

I’ve heard of a few different ways, although I haven’t tried any yet. The one I’m most likely to try is preparing a low water bath for the yarn, filling a (dedicated!) salt shaker with a mix of powdered dye and citric acid, and shaking it lightly over the area you want to speckle. Theory says that the powdered dye brings a lot of color for distinct speckles, and the citric acid helps it to strike immediately so that it doesn’t just wash away and blend with the rest of your dyebath.

Of course, make sure your dust mask is on before trying this :slight_smile:

I recently got some dyes from a different company so, thinking I’ll have to make some samples - I mean, ‘red’ means different things to different dye makers. Trial by error seems to be my way with many things.

I remember her over that steaming pot, dumping more dye out of the jar, then a splash more vinegar - I’d forgotten where I saw that and wanted to watch again - thanks!

I would love to see pictures of your samples.

I may have to look at those. I got a chemistry and math degree before transitioning to becoming a pharmacist :blush: