Can we find each other again?

[SIZE=16px]Where is everyone? There was a lively discussion on dyeing on the old site. Can we migrate some of the talk and pictures here ourselves? I’m putting up a few of the pics of my dye results so far this summer. I love talking about natural dyeing, and experimenting. There are cotton seeds on the way to one person from my garden… the first picture is indigo over moorit Shetland (notice the blue ties…). The gray is far more interesting than the brown was.[/SIZE]

Second is Logwood, third Brazilwood with soda ash, then Brazilwood with chalk (red - the orange is a spent Bwood dyebath) then indigo, then weld hanging over Saxon blue.

It’s been a fun and HOT summer so far!!!

C5CF62CB-8271-4896-AE3D-3FF7AB5995F3.jpeg

9629A79D-F093-4E3A-B9DC-DAB02A010730.jpeg

B59D7BAF-DE7F-42A8-8045-01E74B8BB77E.jpeg

97F1EDF5-F41A-483F-BC37-EECABF6D132F.jpeg

F3F6DC10-A1D6-410D-8114-5D6EDB5E9B9D.jpeg

9B0144AD-8F17-4671-8F16-643AA2F35B6A.jpeg

Oldeworldfibers, the Gray is indigo (have a 30 gallon vat) over moorit Shetland wool. The wool is from a friend who bought the last spinning from a mill from the last shearing of the progeny of the shetlands first brought to America. I am a watercolor painter, and if you want to make great grays, you mix burnt sienna (red-brown) and ultramarine blue. Works the same way for fibers. A lot of people make logwood gray, but it still always has a purplish cast to it. When you overdye brown with indigo, it will gain a bluish cast, for a cooler gray. Thanks for asking.

Wow, you have really been harvestin/gathering the dyestuffs! I gather what I’m able, grow some, and purchase the rest. I live in TN, where there are plenty of wild things growing, but I have MS. Heat and walking (which I used to do lots) prevent my harvesting like I did.

I have some supersized stainless pots that people use fro beer brewing. They are absolutely marvelous, and the fiber is never crowded, even up to 2-3 pounds of yarn. I bit the bullet anc bought a Cusinart hot plate with an extra large cast iron eye, and it has been more than worth it.

Happy dyeing when you finish collecting!

They have the archived forums tab at the top. You could probably go back in and make a list of those that were involved in the discussion before and “tag” them here.

@fluidpaint Hi. I’m here. Can we start a dyeing group? Oh maybe never mind since we are a subgroup of Fiber. That works for me, I just had a hard time finding it.

I’m just starting to read on how to dye. I am so so interested because I always seem to buy yarn that I love but can’t always give the color I want… Or I don’t the color but not in the yarn base I want!

Bettymo, So glad you did find it! And I’ll just say here I’m so glad the seeds arrived safely, and I can’t say ‘good luck’ or they won’t grow (TN old wives thing), so happy harvest!!!

I dipped my toe into the dyeing world today with my kiddos. We used Kool-Aid and solar power. I think this could get addictive… Already planning another round minus the children

67630047_10215025996342722_8299603521574010880_n.jpg

67597604_10215025994742682_4777801089850277888_n.jpg

Love it…they did a great job. Go Mom.

Maybe everyone is up to their arms in dye and too busy to talk. Just a…hope!

@Suthernknitwitt Your yarn turned out great! I really love the one with the blue. What flavors did you use?

@knitterlady13 I think we used Lemonade, Pink Lemonade, Cherry, Black Cherry, Grape, Shark(something), Blue Raspberry Lemonade, and Orange. Honestly, some of the colors got lost in the others (the orange, yellow, and pinks mostly). If we do it again then I will probably try only a few colors per skein so they show up well.
The bluer one is my favorite too, but the red one is very much my son’s taste (ha punny). My son is almost 6 and my daughter is newly 3 so I am very impressed with both creations.

67126510_10215023963811910_450081073330651136_n.jpg

@Suthernknitwitt Thanks! That blue would also be great mixed with a not too dark orange. I have a few skeins of natural yarn that I’ve been meaning to play with. I might have to buy some Kool-Aid, not that I need any more supplies.

I’ve got some hot pink yarn that I would like to over dye. I’m wanting something closer to a dark raspberry (maybe with hints of blackberry). I’ve never dyed yarn before, does anyone have suggestions for Kool Aide or Rit Dye colors that may work?

I’ve never used plant material for dyeing. I do have some reddish pink yarrow in my garden. Does the dye color come from the blooms or the stems and leaves?

@fluidpaint I am trying to move the dyeing posts over here, but it is a tedious task -
meanwhile, are you only referring to those that were in the Dye topic or elsewhere?

@knitterlady13 I think we used Lemonade, Pink Lemonade, Cherry, Black Cherry, Grape, Shark(something), Blue Raspberry Lemonade, and Orange. Honestly, some of the colors got lost in the others (the orange, yellow, and pinks mostly). If we do it again then I will probably try only a few colors per skein so they show up well.
The bluer one is my favorite too, but the red one is very much my son’s taste (ha punny). My son is almost 6 and my daughter is newly 3 so I am very impressed with both creations.[/QUOTE]

I have been working on moving the KA posts from the old forum, so far got most of page 1 - just wanted to let you know that topic is now also under Dyeing
“Kool-Aid Dyeing: Summer Fun For All”

https://vb.ourunraveled.com/forum/fiber/dyeing/8238-kool-aid-dyeing-summer-fun-for-all

Im afraid youll just have to experiment. Kool aid & cake dying can be unpredictable. But I dont think you’ll get any serious conflicts if you just go directly for the deeper raspberry color. Personally I use grape plus raspbery koolaid for a nice purple.

But just doing it with raspberry alone might be too bright. Graying it out could call for something greenish, but not too much. Tricky.

test, test, test

So would I use green added to raspberry, or would I use straight green over the hot pink? I will definitely test, but I’m just looking for a starting point. Thanks for your help!

I haven’t done much with KA so I’m not much help. I did it so long ago. Rit dye is really not for wool. Maybe do some dip dyeing to find out what works with the KA. Let us know if you do.

Go, mommy! They did great, but I’m sure your hands were in it, too! And yes!!! It IS ADDICTIVE!