Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Can we find each other again?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we find each other again?

Where is everyone? There was a lively discussion on dyeing on the old site. Can we migrate some of the talk and pictures here ourselves? I’m putting up a few of the pics of my dye results so far this summer. I love talking about natural dyeing, and experimenting. There are cotton seeds on the way to one person from my garden... the first picture is indigo over moorit Shetland (notice the blue ties...). The gray is far more interesting than the brown was.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C5CF62CB-8271-4896-AE3D-3FF7AB5995F3.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	2989Click image for larger version

Name:	B59D7BAF-DE7F-42A8-8045-01E74B8BB77E.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	2994Click image for larger version

Name:	97F1EDF5-F41A-483F-BC37-EECABF6D132F.jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	2995Click image for larger version

Name:	F3F6DC10-A1D6-410D-8114-5D6EDB5E9B9D.jpeg
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	2996Click image for larger version

Name:	9B0144AD-8F17-4671-8F16-643AA2F35B6A.jpeg
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	2997Click image for larger version

Name:	9629A79D-F093-4E3A-B9DC-DAB02A010730.jpeg
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	2993 Second is Logwood, third Brazilwood with soda ash, then Brazilwood with chalk (red - the orange is a spent Bwood dyebath) then indigo, then weld hanging over Saxon blue.

It’s been a fun and HOT summer so far!!!
    Attached Files

Oops on the extra pics. The learning curve is different with more and better choices!😁

Comment

fluidpaint ...Hi! Thank you for posting. How did you get the gray again? That's an elusive color for me so far with the dye materials I have collected. I haven't been able to dye yet this summer, but here's a list of some of my favorite materials I've used in the past.
      • Rabbit brush blossoms - probably one of my absolute favorite dyes
      • Sage brush blossoms
      • Yarrow blossoms
      • Mullein blossoms
      • Bracken fern fronds (i got close to a medium gray with this when I saddened with iron)
      • Ceanothus root
      • Pine tree bark
      • Black walnut (husks mostly - that's what's in the dye pot in my Avatar picture)
      • English walnuts
      • Pear tree leaves (loved the color from these! Nice cinnamon color)
      • Various mushrooms
      • Marigolds
      • Hibiscus blossoms

Items I currently have my eye on: dock (ripening up nicely in our pasture); lichen & moss (I only collect tiny bits of this at a time, so it takes a long time to accumulate); Oregon grape roots (have a large patch in our front yard and have read it throws some great color); and it's prime rabbit brush blossom season. In my stash are also logwood, weld, indigo, and madder. Never enough time to dye as much as I would like, but always fun to dive in once the pots are simmering.

I like to dye using enamel, aluminum, cast iron, or copper pots (this has included some fun forays to vintage & antique stores around the Pacific Northwest to find some really cool kettles). I do have a copper solution I can use (bits of copper pipe in a vinegar/water solution), but I haven't used it much as the results were a bit weak (wanted to use it sparingly). I'm curious to experiment around with it more, but don't particularly like to use it. My iron solution is made from bits of rusted items found around the farm and soaked in a vinegar/water solution. This solution gets immediate results, so it's fun to use, but it must be used very carefully since it's harsh on wool. I'd like to experiment using a bit more of this with the fern frond solution to attempt a deeper gray.

I have pictures for a lot of this buried in my photo album on my Mac. I'll get some posted at some time to show a bit of the results.

One of my goals is to weave a blanket out of my naturally dyed wool that I have spun myself. I'm focusing on using Cheviot wool (based on some historical research I'm doing). I have quite a start on my stash, so just need to keep ticking away at it.

I also have a good-sized collection of natural dye books too. It is truly an amazing field to study and explore.

Well, that's a small intro on my love of natural dyeing. :-) I'm looking forward to learning more and seeing what others are doing. And what types of fibers are being dyed. I've focused on wool but want to try the natural dyes on silk as well.

Comment

• fluidpaint
        fluidpaint commented
        Editing a comment
        Oldeworldfibers, the Gray is indigo (have a 30 gallon vat) over moorit Shetland wool. The wool is from a friend who bought the last spinning from a mill from the last shearing of the progeny of the shetlands first brought to America. I am a watercolor painter, and if you want to make great grays, you mix burnt sienna (red-brown) and ultramarine blue. Works the same way for fibers. A lot of people make logwood gray, but it still always has a purplish cast to it. When you overdye brown with indigo, it will gain a bluish cast, for a cooler gray. Thanks for asking.

Wow, you have really been harvestin/gathering the dyestuffs! I gather what I’m able, grow some, and purchase the rest. I live in TN, where there are plenty of wild things growing, but I have MS. Heat and walking (which I used to do lots) prevent my harvesting like I did.

I have some supersized stainless pots that people use fro beer brewing. They are absolutely marvelous, and the fiber is never crowded, even up to 2-3 pounds of yarn. I bit the bullet anc bought a Cusinart hot plate with an extra large cast iron eye, and it has been more than worth it.

Happy dyeing when you finish collecting!

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never used plant material for dyeing. I do have some reddish pink yarrow in my garden. Does the dye color come from the blooms or the stems and leaves?

Originally posted by fluidpaint View Post
      Where is everyone? There was a lively discussion on dyeing on the old site. Can we migrate some of the talk and pictures here ourselves? I’m putting up a few of the pics of my dye results so far this summer. I love talking about natural dyeing, and experimenting. There are cotton seeds on the way to one person from my garden... the first picture is indigo over moorit Shetland (notice the blue ties...). The gray is far more interesting than the brown was.

Name:	C5CF62CB-8271-4896-AE3D-3FF7AB5995F3.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	2989Click image for larger version

Name:	B59D7BAF-DE7F-42A8-8045-01E74B8BB77E.jpeg
Views:	219
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	2994Click image for larger version

Name:	97F1EDF5-F41A-483F-BC37-EECABF6D132F.jpeg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	2995Click image for larger version

Name:	F3F6DC10-A1D6-410D-8114-5D6EDB5E9B9D.jpeg
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	2996Click image for larger version

Name:	9B0144AD-8F17-4671-8F16-643AA2F35B6A.jpeg
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	2997Click image for larger version

Name:	9629A79D-F093-4E3A-B9DC-DAB02A010730.jpeg
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	2993 Second is Logwood, third Brazilwood with soda ash, then Brazilwood with chalk (red - the orange is a spent Bwood dyebath) then indigo, then weld hanging over Saxon blue.

It’s been a fun and HOT summer so far!!!
      They have the archived forums tab at the top. You could probably go back in and make a list of those that were involved in the discussion before and "tag" them here.

Comment

• Floppy2
        Floppy2 commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe everyone is up to their arms in dye and too busy to talk. Just a.....hope!

• fluidpaint
        fluidpaint commented
        Editing a comment
        😀. That’s to be hoped!

fluidpaint Hi. I'm here. Can we start a dyeing group? Oh maybe never mind since we are a subgroup of Fiber. That works for me, I just had a hard time finding it.
      Last edited by Bettymo; 07-15-2019, 10:29 AM.

Comment

• fluidpaint
        fluidpaint commented
        Editing a comment
        Bettymo, So glad you did find it! And I’ll just say here I’m so glad the seeds arrived safely, and I can’t say ‘good luck’ or they won’t grow (TN old wives thing), so happy harvest!!!

I'm just starting to read on how to dye. I am so so interested because I always seem to buy yarn that I love but can't always give the color I want... Or I don't the color but not in the yarn base I want!

Comment

I dipped my toe into the dyeing world today with my kiddos. We used Kool-Aid and solar power. I think this could get addictive.... Already planning another round minus the children

Name:	67630047_10215025996342722_8299603521574010880_n.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	7727Click image for larger version

Name:	67597604_10215025994742682_4777801089850277888_n.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	7728
        "And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17

Comment

• Bettymo
          Bettymo commented
          Editing a comment
          Love it...they did a great job. Go Mom.

• fluidpaint
          fluidpaint commented
          Editing a comment
          Go, mommy! They did great, but I’m sure your hands were in it, too! And yes!!! It IS ADDICTIVE!

Suthernknitwitt Your yarn turned out great! I really love the one with the blue. What flavors did you use?

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	67126510_10215023963811910_450081073330651136_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	192.7 KB ID:	8010

knitterlady13 I think we used Lemonade, Pink Lemonade, Cherry, Black Cherry, Grape, Shark(something), Blue Raspberry Lemonade, and Orange. Honestly, some of the colors got lost in the others (the orange, yellow, and pinks mostly). If we do it again then I will probably try only a few colors per skein so they show up well.
          The bluer one is my favorite too, but the red one is very much my son's taste (ha punny). My son is almost 6 and my daughter is newly 3 so I am very impressed with both creations.
          "And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17

Comment

Suthernknitwitt Thanks! That blue would also be great mixed with a not too dark orange. I have a few skeins of natural yarn that I've been meaning to play with. I might have to buy some Kool-Aid, not that I need any more supplies.

Comment

I've got some hot pink yarn that I would like to over dye. I'm wanting something closer to a dark raspberry (maybe with hints of blackberry). I've never dyed yarn before, does anyone have suggestions for Kool Aide or Rit Dye colors that may work?

Comment

• Bettymo
                Bettymo commented
                Editing a comment
                I haven't done much with KA so I'm not much help. I did it so long ago. Rit dye is really not for wool. Maybe do some dip dyeing to find out what works with the KA. Let us know if you do.

fluidpaint I am trying to move the dyeing posts over here, but it is a tedious task -
              meanwhile, are you only referring to those that were in the Dye topic or elsewhere?
              Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts
              =====
              My personal views & Opinions may well not be those of the owners, management and other moderators - nor, are they intended to be personal, but may require adult sized undies.

Comment

• fluidpaint
                fluidpaint commented
                Editing a comment
                Anyone who love/wants to/has/will/even hates dyeing is welcome, I suspect!

knitterlady13 I think we used Lemonade, Pink Lemonade, Cherry, Black Cherry, Grape, Shark(something), Blue Raspberry Lemonade, and Orange. Honestly, some of the colors got lost in the others (the orange, yellow, and pinks mostly). If we do it again then I will probably try only a few colors per skein so they show up well.
              The bluer one is my favorite too, but the red one is very much my son's taste (ha punny). My son is almost 6 and my daughter is newly 3 so I am very impressed with both creations.[/QUOTE]

I have been working on moving the KA posts from the old forum, so far got most of page 1 - just wanted to let you know that topic is now also under Dyeing
              "Kool-Aid Dyeing: Summer Fun For All"

https://vb.ourunraveled.com/forum/fi...er-fun-for-all

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts
              =====
              My personal views & Opinions may well not be those of the owners, management and other moderators - nor, are they intended to be personal, but may require adult sized undies.

Comment

Originally posted by BonBon View Post
                I've got some hot pink yarn that I would like to over dye. I'm wanting something closer to a dark raspberry (maybe with hints of blackberry). I've never dyed yarn before, does anyone have suggestions for Kool Aide or Rit Dye colors that may work?
                Im afraid youll just have to experiment. Kool aid & cake dying can be unpredictable. But I dont think you'll get any serious conflicts if you just go directly for the deeper raspberry color. Personally I use grape plus raspbery koolaid for a nice purple.

But just doing it with raspberry alone might be too bright. Graying it out could call for something greenish, but not too much. Tricky.

test, test, test

Comment

• BonBon
                  BonBon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So would I use green added to raspberry, or would I use straight green over the hot pink? I will definitely test, but I'm just looking for a starting point. Thanks for your help!

• fluidpaint
                  fluidpaint commented
                  Editing a comment
                  KoolAid is a lot like watercolor. If you mix green and pink, you’re likely to get an icky gray. If you want the pink darker, but still pinkish (raspberry) stick with warm colors.

Name:	CB725ECB-E189-41F8-9697-2C78196E8925.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	11839
                Hi, everyone! The dyeing continues apace. Have dyed about 5 lbs. of yarn since I posted last pictures. This is one I had lots of fun with. Alum mordant, 10% WOF, Cream of Tartar, 3% WOF, Glauber’s salts, 1% WOF. Brazilwood 50% WOF. The Brazilwood had Soda Ash added to the dyebath, to make a purple (about 20 gems). (Will post later with pics of what the purple looked like unaltered). After holding temp at 180 degrees F for 30 minutes, the fiber was removed and cooled somewhat (able to touch it). I then put it in a sink of water, and poured vinegar over it, hoping for the semi-solid yarn I got. Hooray! Brazilwood is sensitive to pH, and lowering it while the yarn was still wet gave me a gorgeous batch of yarn!

DYEING IS SUCH FUN!!!!!
                Attached Files

Comment

• Carlota
                  Carlota commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm fainting that is so amazing!

• Bettymo
                  Bettymo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh those are beautiful. Thanks for sharing all the info!
              Working...
              X