Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Welcome to Shave 'Em to Save 'Em (SE2)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished plying some lovely Black Welsh Mountain from Shaggy Bear Farms. I purchased several breeds at Black Sheep Gathering, but this is the first of that group that I’ve spun. It will rest a bit and then I’ll skein it up and put it to soak. No idea on yardage yet, but it’s already really nice.

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      I sure do love that charcoal color with the bits of lighter fibers. Nice spinning!

I'm back.

Comment

• LeoLady
      LeoLady commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, missed you guys

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you know about Worldwide Spin In Public day on September 21? I will have to dig to find even one person near me who knows about it. Good excuse to take a wheel or spindle to the park for a couple of hours. Goodness knows I have STUFF to work on! (Hee hee!)

• LeoLady
      LeoLady commented
      Editing a comment
      @Carlotta no I did not. Hmmm, wonder if I could sit in front of Whole Foods and spin. That might be really interesting.

So, today I was temped with some lovely Leicester Longwool roving and fell for the temptation, oh and some yummy chocolate Romeldale/CVM. It's gonna be Christmas time at my house in a few days. :-)

Comment

• LeoLady
      LeoLady commented
      Editing a comment
      Bettymo The Clun Forest came frim Tinmberwood farm, the Leicester Longwool came from Mrs Hartmans Farm. It's gorgeous and I may jusst bump it up in line to get to spin it. The CVM Romeldale is a beautiful chocolate brown and is coming from SwingingVines Farm. I have something else coming from Haypenny but it won't ship till sometime in early October.

• LeoLady
      LeoLady commented
      Editing a comment
      BTW Mrs Hartman's was so nice. She was out of SE2SE stamps but has them on order. To make up for not having them right away, she included another ounce of the roving so I ended up with 5 ounces of beautiful silvery springy yarn. Win

• Bettymo
      Bettymo commented
      Editing a comment
      LeoLady Thanks so much for all that info. Definitely a win.

Since the 21st of this month is National Spin in public day, I've decided to call Hobby Lobby and ask if I could set up and spin in their lobby. Hoping they say yes. If they do, I'll bring some of the roving I've been buying and spin for an hour or so. If I can't spin there, maybe I can set up at a mall. We shall see.

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a neat idea. How's your weather? Are you getting a lot of rain? We have about 5 inches today so far in Houston.

• LeoLady
      LeoLady commented
      Editing a comment
      Carlota So far it hasn't gotten this far north but it's coming. Wind is picking up and we've had a few sprinkles. Enjoying the cooler temps but, of course, the humidity is up.

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Humidity for sure! So glad I finished scouring on Tuesday, but it's still not dry in the garage. I put a fan on it this morning. At least you have plenty of wool to keep you busy! Take care!

Yep, Am working on a scarf make out of dog hair for a dear friend, then the dinosaur in an egg, then a unicorn in an egg, THEN I can get back to spinning. You stay safe!

Comment

• LeoLady
      LeoLady commented
      Editing a comment
      Carlota so tell yours!

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, so far it's all wool and cotton with desires to get better at spinning flax. I like historical crafts and had seen a lot of videos on spinning a few years ago - I found a local yarn store with an emphasis on spinning and weaving and took a lesson on the drop spindle. I caught on pretty fast and soon had rented a spinning wheel long enough to teach myself wheel spinning (at least the fundamentals) and now I have many spindles and wheels in my collection and I spin at a living history museum for visiting 4th graders on their annual field trips. Lots of fun. It fills out the picture with knitting, which I have done since chilidhood. I am doing the 51 Yarns challenge and SE2SE, along with my own sweater spin goals and sock spinning, which I hope to get better at. Always something new to try!

• LeoLady
      LeoLady commented
      Editing a comment
      Now I'm going to have to find that book! I love that you spin at a living history museum.

Florida Cracker from Laura Williams, spun on my Matchless, 2-ply, yardage to be determined when I skein it up. It is so soft it’s crazy. Very stretchy. Would make a great lining for a hat. It’s 14-16 WPI but I expect it to puff up once washed. Delightful spin!

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm crazy about the color - like butter pecan ice cream. Texture too, of course.

• Bettymo
      Bettymo commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow beautiful spinning & plying.

Washed English Blue Leicester Longwool from Fuzzy Ewe Farm on Etsy. I carded the lustrous Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190920_114614.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	28068 locks into a cloud, and then practiced making low-twist singles. The singles are showing the distinct wave of the fleece, which had open loopy curls. This is not next-to-skin soft; it may become a woven or crocheted tool bag.

Comment

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      LeoLady - you've probably seen art yarn with dangling locks hanging from it like icicles - that is tail spinning. This very short video gives the idea: https://youtu.be/TnhNwVHTOIk

• Bettymo
      Bettymo commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the color of the wool and your singles are beautiful. Looks a little mohairish.

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      Bettymo Yes, mohairish is a good description, but maybe a little coarser. Thank you - my first finished singles.

So a bit off topice but wanted to show everyone the reason I had to put my SE2SE project to the side. Click image for larger version

Name:	Spin Along scarf.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	29544

Comment

• LeoLady
      LeoLady commented
      Editing a comment
      Carlota, yes, it's a basket weave pattern. easy to do but very pretty when finished. I like it because it didn't distract from the subtle color variations in the fur. It's made out of Leonberger fur that I spun myself.

• Carlota
      Carlota commented
      Editing a comment
      I wondered if that was the fur you spoke about before. Interesting. I like basketweave - did a couple of baby blankets with a variation of that. That is a labor of love from start to finish.

• LeoLady
      LeoLady commented
      Editing a comment
      Carlota it was. He was a very special dog in a very special family. They were my first friends in the breed.

Been absent for a couple of weeks. Working hard on 4 scarves for an auction to benefit our national breed rescue and our breed health foundation. I'll be back when the last one is finished. I'm working on that one now while my spinning wheel sits accusingly quiet. :-)

Comment

Working...
    X