LoveCrafts 728 X 90
YOUR AD COULD BE HERE!

Click here for details.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Cascade Yarns introduces 2 lines of yarn with Recyled PET in 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cascade Yarns introduces 2 lines of yarn with Recyled PET in 2020

Cascade Yarns has just introduced 2 lines of yarn with Recycled PET: ReBound and ReVerb.

ReBoundis made from 100% post-consumer recycled materials, 70% Polyester (Recycled PET), 30% Cotton (Recycled).
    The care instructions are "Hand wash cold. Lay flat to dry."
    ReBound is assigned a yarn weight of 4, based on Yarn Council guidelines, and skeins contain 164 yards.
    ReBound shown as being available in 10 colors:
    01 - Pearl
    02 - Sand
    03 - Peach Blossom
    04 - Charcoal
    05 - Black Plum
    06 - Chili
    07 - Nectarine
    08 - Denim
    09 - Teal
    10 - Ink
    Three free patterns are offered by Cascade Yarns for the ReBound yarn, and Cascade Yarns asks that readers download, print and share:
    A344 Do it Again Cowl
    A348 Elycpso (Cowl)
    A353 Hat for Ella

ReVerbis made from 100% post-consumer recycled materials, 70% Polyester (Recycled PET), 30% Alpaca (Recycled).
    Like many alpaca yarns, the care instructions are "Hand wash cold. Lay flat to dry."
    ReVerb is assigned a yarn weight of 3, based on Yarn Council guidelines, and skeins contain 273 yards.
    ReVerb shown as being available in 10 yummy colors, representing a subdued, earthy pallete of neutrals:
    01 - Oatmeal
    02 - Silver
    03 - Olive
    04 - Jet
    05 - Apricot
    06 - Navy
    07 - Cinnabar
    08 - Peach Blossom
    09 - Flint
    10 -Coffee
    Three free patterns are offered by Cascade Yarns for the ReVerb yarn, and Cascade Yarns asks that readers download, print and share:
    DK658 Climbing Wall Hat
    DK661 Abundance of Cables Cardigan
    DK663 One Row Mobius (scarf)

What is PET?
    PET is described on wikipedia, as recycled bottles.
    A recent email newsletter from LoveCrafts describes:
    "new recycled yarns from Cascade
    made using recycled bottles!
    1kg of fiber contains 20 plastic bottles!
    *approx 20 bottles per 1kg
    "

What a wonderful use of recycled bottles! I had never heard of this.
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: -6; YTD -286

Comment

qfknit - Have you seen it in real life? Touched it? I would be curious to know what it feels like after washing. I'm wondering what happens when someone tosses it in the dryer by mistake. Melts? Yikes, I can picture a dryer disaster. I put a microfiber towel next to my cooktop to catch drips between the pot on the stove and the dish I was ladling into. That towel melted into hard plastic on my cast iron grate. I could not get it off. I even heated the grate up, thinking I could then scrape it off. Nothing worked. Fortunately, I had an extra grate.
      Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• qfknit
        qfknit commented
        Editing a comment
        I've not seen the yarn locally... just received email notice.

Just curious --- What processes are used to turn the bottles into yarn?

In a number of communities the largest point source of pollution is the recycling plant. I am all for eco-friendly recycling, but many items cause terrible pollution to recycle and we'd be better off putting into the dump.

Comment

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        I refuse to recycle peanut butter jars because I waste so much soap and water trying to get them clean.

• qfknit
        qfknit commented
        Editing a comment
        EllenDeKnitter - Great question. I wondered about that as well, especially when I made a related post in
        Forums > General > Fiber-Inspiration-and-News > Cascades' new recycled yarns... and recycled plastic bottles in many products!

I also wondered whether people may be surprised to find they may already own something which was once a plastic bottle!

I believe that if this process of fiber-making is occurring, it is good for people to aware of it. Possibly Consumer Reports or another organization will take a look into these fibers and weigh in on them with some insightful compare/contrast, regarding both manufacturing and use...?

• WeeBizzom
        WeeBizzom commented
        Editing a comment
        lovestostitch Yes, and some of them have plastic lids that can't be recycyled anyway

I love the idea, but I agree that recycling itself can cause problems, so I think we need to know a bit more before rushing out and buying. I had a look on Cascade’s site to see if there were any stockists near me (Glasgow, Scotland) so I could have a look in person, but the nearest one is in Maine, USA, so maybe it’s Plan B, then!

Comment

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
      X