Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Fiberocity forum?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fiberocity forum?

Just stumbled on it online. It seems like someone just started it and with donations from go fund me!
    You have to join in to see what is on it.
    Anybody on it? Just curious.

It's still rough, though much improved. Upcoming features such as member's areas for their projects and a db of yarns and needles is in the works. The forum was the first step. We'll see.....
    Last edited by anachrotech; 07-28-2019, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I've talked to Laura she's pretty cool. She's definitely better funded than we are and hopefully her solution does well.
      “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

Comment

• Amore
        Amore commented
        Editing a comment
        Admin, to quote a very, very old song: "I'm gonna dance wit' da guy what brung me."

• stasher
        stasher commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know how others feel but I have whole lot more respect for someone who tries to make it on his own. Nothing wrong with donations but literally asking for money up front to start a forum would be embarrassing for me. Whatever happened to save up some first?
        ABout year and half ago I had an idea about starting knitting forum and bought domain name which got stolen from me, thanks to godaddy! Being too busy still working, I let it go. Now, seeing this forum, there is no need for another one anyway!

Admin - she might be “pretty cool”, but not nearly as 😎 as you.
      Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Comment

• snickerdoodle
        snickerdoodle commented
        Editing a comment
        Can't argue with that!

Originally posted by Char View Post
      Admin - she might be “pretty cool”, but not nearly as 😎 as you.
      I second that. No reason not to use both. I actually prefer the forum style here.

Comment

I found Fiberocity before I found this site, following a link from a Facebook page. Both started about the same time, in response to Ravelry's announcement. Seem to be more members actively chatting here, although it sounds like more members may have been willing to make a donation at Fiberocity than have been willing to here. It will be interesting to see how each develops.

Comment

• Admin
          Admin commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, we both took different approaches to funding, we really didn't push much for funding as I wasn't sure where this place was going. Laura needed to hire out her site to be built so she needed a bit more startup capital. We've actually had around $3500 in unsolicited donations and about 40 paying members as part of the forum. That's how we were able to afford the improved forum software and the marketplace software.

I visited it and the other new one. However, this is where I feel at home. 😉

Comment

I went to look and I have to say, good luck to them but I like this forum, it is very accomodating, so many features.

Comment

I found both this one and Fiberocity on the same day, and joined both of them. So far, I spend more time here, and I know that I participate more here than there, somehow, this place is just more comfortable.

Comment

• Char
              Char commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed - I think that is in a large part that Admin and Snickerdoodle are real people - actively participating in knitting and development. I honestly believe Admin gives careful consideration to every request he sees. I don’t see that involvement on the other sites. I think he sees how much we all appreciate, and need, this site.

And Snickerdoodle is knitting along with the rest of us. Even learning socks!

Admin Just wanted to say....Thank you.

You were just completely open and honest.
            Not only did you tell us what was going on with the other site. (why they are set up the way they are) You were open and honest and let us know what is going on here.

I appreciate it. It is nice to hear an open honest statement about something before a question has even come up.
            Thank you.
            ~hereami.

Comment

• Admin
              Admin commented
              Editing a comment
              You're very welcome, we're in this together so I figure working together makes the most sense :-D.

Originally posted by Admin View Post
            Yeah, I've talked to Laura she's pretty cool. She's definitely better funded than we are and hopefully her solution does well.
            I want both to do well, because never again should Indie's and other small businesses be subject to the whims of .... loss for acceptable description = how about privately controlled monopoly

However, for reasons technical & philosophical - I am choosing to invest my time and $$ in OurUnRaveled (even if I really do not like a name that looks backwards)
            Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts
            =====
            My personal views & Opinions may well not be those of the owners, management and other moderators - nor, are they intended to be personal, but may require adult sized undies.

Comment

I've been keeping an eye on Fiberocity...but you can't even get a look at it without joining. No, thanks! I'm glad several sites have sprung up, though. Ravelry was too much the only game in town. I've also joined Open Ravel, but mainly talk about sewing there.
              "We are all normal and we want our freedom"

Comment

• wheat
                wheat commented
                Editing a comment
                feel free to drop into OurUnraveled sewing forums and liven things up there. <G>

and yes, choice is a good thing - generally speaking one size fits nobody.
            Working...
            X