Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Paid Membership - Forum Support

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paid Membership - Forum Support

Hi Everyone,

People have been asking for a way to support the forum and looking for the donation button, with this forum I would like to do away with the donation button in favor of a subscription option. Nobody is required to pay to use this site, however we will have a small member benefits section for paid members if they choose to financially support the site.

Option 1: $5/month - it will auto-renew monthly but can be cancelled if you want to leave.
    Option 2: $50/year - will not auto-renew but will promote you to a paid member for 1 year.

These will give you access to a small section that allows for a member chat section, Membership only promotions from vendors, a Karma section and Members Only Patterns donated by other members for paid member access.

Only one of those is confusing, Karma, what is it? Karma is something offered up by a member as a giveaway item for other members. It typically will run for a duration of time where members can post "In" to get an entry into the giveaway. At the end of the time period the donating member will put the post numbers (2->End) into a random number generator and pick a winner. Items could be yarn, needles, hooks, cloth, gift cards, whatever you might want to offer up. The idea is by contributing to the community you are paying forward a good deed and earning a bit of cosmic good karma.

To start things off we are offering a $50 Etsy Gift card, the Karma thread is in the member section, if you'd like to subscribe you can go to your profile, Edit Settings and click the subscriptions tab. Once subscribed you will see a new forum section called "Subscribed Member Forum" with a sub-category called "Karma", go there and post "In" on the Etsy Giftcard thread.

Small benefits: increased album storage from 100 pictures to 500, Private message storage is increased from 500 to 1,000.

We love you all, and thank you so much for joining us, we hope the member section will grow and offer valuable discounts and benefits going forward.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

When I look at the subscription tab all I can see are the forums I subscribed to.

Comment

• Admin
      Admin commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh, you have to go to Edit Settings, I'll update my post. I forgot how many places use "subscription".

• AmazedbyGrace
      AmazedbyGrace commented
      Editing a comment
      I was not able to find the subscription option on my phone, but found it when I logged in from my computer. I just signed up and am very happy to support our new community. Thanks again for all that you are doing!

What a wonderful idea to help support the site!!!
    Last edited by Char; 07-13-2019, 08:53 PM.
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Comment

Admin, I am only seeing the $5 monthly option. I would like to do the annual if possible

Comment

• Duellingneedles
        Duellingneedles commented
        Editing a comment
        Mine had a drop down for the annual.

Found it! :-). I am happy to give some financial support for our new community!

Comment

I had trouble on my phone. But it was super easy on my iPad. It makes me so happy to support this! I sincerely hope we get so big, you can quit your day job! 😍😍😍

Comment

• Admin
          Admin commented
          Editing a comment
          Me too :-D

Good morning. I have a question. When you say we are allowed 100 photos - is that the number of photos allowed to be uploaded on the whole website? So in the future, if we want to upload our projects or stash, we will be cut off at 100? I hope this hasn't been asked & answered before. I looked for a users guide to the site for my answer, but couldn't find one. I really appreciate all the hard work ya'll have done in creating Our Unraveled. You guys ROCK!!!!!
        "I call on all of my colleagues and all of America to listen more and talk less, to show compassion for those who are in pain, and to resist the temptation to fight when others wish to escalate." ~ US Rep. Emanuel Cleaver II (D-MO)

Comment

• Admin
          Admin commented
          Editing a comment
          It counts toward photos on blogs and in your personal media library. Pictures that you post on a discussion thread don't count toward this limit. We'll see how it scales, if people are running out of ability to post pictures on their blogs maybe we can increase it that was just a starting point.

Admin (Sorry - this blog format is unfamiliar to me and I haven't figured out how to reply directly to you.) Question....will those of us who already made donations automatically be transferred to the paid memberships or will we need to pay again? Thanks.

Comment

• plainjaneknitter
          plainjaneknitter commented
          Editing a comment
          This was going to be my other question, but I didn’t want to be a pest.

• Admin
          Admin commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't have a great way to "transfer" the donation into a subscription, but if people want to try to figure it out they can reach out to me. I think it would have to be a refund of the original donation then a new creation for the subscription.

Admin I don't know much about how the platform is set up, so I'm not a lot of help there. Perhaps there is a way to set up gift subscriptions and then gift however many months to people who donated. (Kind of like on Ravelry when designers could gift patterns to people by giving them a code to use during purchase.) I'll be honest and say that I don't love the idea of membership tiers, but it's not my site. I do think though that if you're going to move to that type of system and away from donations that it's only fair to include those that have already given and not expect them to then pay for a membership on top of their donation (unless they really want to). Some of those people may not have the additional funds to buy a paid membership because they've already spent on the donation. At the same time, those that could still afford it might not want to give a second time for whatever reason (that was their yarn money for the month or 6 months or whatever) but would feel silly asking for a refund. I know I'd feel uncomfortable with that.

Also, and I'm really NOT trying to be difficult, but I think you'll need to be careful about dividing people out into groups. I mean....look at where we're coming from. So if there are membership levels and groups that are private (because really that's how the groups are set up and it's up to owners and mods to approve group members), it starts to feel like there are exclusive areas where some shall not pass. It takes away from the "everyone is welcome" feeling and vision that seemed to be how the site was started. I hope I'm making sense. I do understand that you're limited to some extent by the platform you're using,

Please understand that I'm not complaining....just trying to offer some perspective based on what we came from. I was there over 12 years and probably saw most of the controversies over the years.

Comment

• Admin
          Admin commented
          Editing a comment
          I definitely understand that, those are reasons I didn't create special titles or tags for paid members, I don't want anyone to hold it over anyone else. I kept the "paid" section small with small benefits that give some incentive for people to become members but where there isn't a big "missing out" feeling for those that choose not to subscribe. I like the idea of people having the option to get some type of membership perk, even if it's small (some peer 2 peer giveaways, maybe some special promo codes). I don't think that section will turn into the "cool kids" club.

With regards to the refund, I understand where you're coming from and I'm happy to work with people on it, I just don't have the tools to do a gift subscription, the option I have available is to refund all donations prior to yesterday, and allow them to choose to donate or subscribe if they want, or allow people to reach out and request a refund so they can choose a different subscription or just request their money back all together if they don't like the direction we're heading. I'm ok with working with people on solutions I just have limited tools available.

I'll look into the groups thing, I like having them, but I'm not sure what the best way to manage them is yet. I _think_ I have the option to force them to be open or chosen by the creator but I'm not 100% on that. I can take a look at it once the marketplace is testing with users.

• Admin
          Admin commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, and no offense or complaint taken, I'd rather have the discussion and try to work out a solution. The best solutions come when people of differing viewpoints share what they know. That's why we're on this new forum, people had a lot of suggestions and things that were needed to make the site workable, the old site would have taken a long time to get here.

Admin I guess I can't comment on your comment. LOL! So I'll just make a new post.

I totally get what you're saying and since I'm unfamiliar with this particular platform I am zero help with site setup. Here's a suggestion about groups, but I don't know if it will work or how others feel about it. First I should say that I don't think this site has to be like Ravelry, but there are some things about that site that work very well and it can be a good example in many respects. On R groups were set up so that anyone could join...no approval needed. However, mods and group admins could block members if they turned out to be trolls or troublesome in some other way. For example, I was admin/mod of a large destashing group. Everyone was welcome, but if someone turned out to be a "naughty" seller, buyer, or trader, we'd block them from being able to post (for the protection of other group members). Of course I had a procedure that I followed to ensure that the person actually was "naughty". It was a lot less work for mods to block individuals occasionally rather than to approve every member especially when membership was growing quickly. Plus it gave everyone a chance to fit into a community that they feel might work for them. I did find that people tended to find their niches and unless they were completely not self-aware would leave groups that weren't a good fit. Of course there is still room for abuse on the part of the mods in the groups because they could simply block everyone that wasn't in their invited group, but this was pretty rare and definitely discouraged.

Again, just a suggestion and I don't even know if it will work with the tools that you have here....or whether anyone at all agrees with me.

Regarding the memberships, I'd definitely love to do a paid subscription for a year, but already made a donation and can't do both right now. I can DM you if you like.

Comment

knitterlady13 I believe this will work to auto accept new members to groups, though I could be wrong? The moderator / owner has this in their settings.

I selected “auto accept subscriber requests”. I am not sure if that means adding members or not....
          Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Comment

Char For some reason I don't have those same options. Here is what my page looks like. Any ideas Admin ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	4410

Comment

• Char
              Char commented
              Editing a comment
              As it turns, it didn't work for me. I still have to accept new requests.

Char Good to know. Thanks for posting that. I won't worry about it for now. I'm online a lot.

Comment

• Char
              Char commented
              Editing a comment
              It is a WIP. We’ll get there.... together!

Good idea. When you have some skin in the game as it were, you are more apt to pay attention to what is going on with the site. Good job. I am on a fixed income so, won't be a payer unless I win the lottery. But I will still support the site by telling others to come here.

Comment

Admin you hve better things to be doing with your time (and to our shared advantage) than figuring out PayPal idiosyncrasies
              so please keep the 1st donation and I did sign up for the "new subscription"
              I am choosing monthly because I want you to have the funding you need, when you need it to develop the site.
              Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts
              =====
              My personal views & Opinions may well not be those of the owners, management and other moderators - nor, are they intended to be personal, but may require adult sized undies.

Comment

Working...
              X