Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Project pages?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project pages?

I must admit I am missing the project pages - loved the link with the yarn and the automatic calculation of yardage used (I'm a simple minded creature and I loved to see how many miles I had knitted over a year!), the drop downs for needle size and the ability to pay progress pictures - what are folk doing to manage their projects now? I set up a basic database but I think I need something multi platform so online. I even bought a proper book but haven't got around to setting it up yet.

I've started using the blog function on this forum as a project notebook. I have a couple of projects on my blog so far. I've tried to create something of a template for myself, where I can copy and paste it from previous posts.

Comment

• HeatherAthebyne
      HeatherAthebyne commented
      Editing a comment
      I edit the post for each update and add a note to the end. I don't think it notifies anyone who's watching the post, though.

• Greennana
      Greennana commented
      Editing a comment
      Where can I find out how to use the blog function? I have been look ing for it but am not tech savy. That is why I use sticks and string.

• HeatherAthebyne
      Editing a comment
      Scroll to the top and click on Project Blogs. Right underneath that, there will be an option to Create a New Blog -- this is creating a notebook for all of your projects. Once that's done you'll have a New Blog Entry button, where you can make one post per project (at least that's how I do it). You can get back to your blog from anywhere by going to Project Blogs again, and you'll see your blog in the right-hand sidebar.

Bunyip We are growing and have improvements on the way. It will get there, and Admin is working very hard at making this what we want it to be. We just need patience. :-). It may not be exactly what we left, but it will be marvelous!
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Comment

Thanks chaps! I will try the blog thing - I hadn't checked the blog option but with a template to start out with it should be do - able. Assume each blog post can be edited to indicate progress on a project. Now to invent a blog name!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Char View Post
        Bunyip We are growing and have improvements on the way. It will get there, and Admin is working very hard at making this what we want it to be. We just need patience. :-). It may not be exactly what we left, but it will be marvelous!
        You know... I don't think I want exactly what we left. What we left is okay... but what we have here, is much better. We have a truly active community here, with crafters that actually talk to each other. We have an Admin that really cares about what we think, and what we want in a site... someone that we can actually come to with an issue, and who will actually communicate with us, not just give a form response.

We have crafters that actually get involved, help out, answer questions, without being condescending or rude. We have open conversations without judgement, or hate, perhaps differences of opinion, but also a true tolerance of those differences.

In short... we have a good, strong, solid foundation on which to build on. The fancy trimmings will come with time and patience. But what we have is so much better than what we left. I think we can all agree... we're fine with that

Comment

• Char
          Char commented
          Editing a comment
          Here, Here!

• rubyyarn
          rubyyarn commented
          Editing a comment
          I must agree with this. I think all the people who are willing to define and fix problems came here and left the drama queens behind.

• wheat
          wheat commented
          Editing a comment
          Admin thought you might want to read the above -

Speaking of, it's probably time for an update!! The database and backend (backend is computer for the server side) of stash is almost done, maybe a couple more days. Then I have to plugin the frontend (the User piece you see) and test it before we go live.

When I have a tiring day and just don't have much energy I try to do small stuff, forum tweaks, adding free or inexpensive patterns to the marketplace, contribute on a couple of the facebook groups to get some visibility for the site.

Now for some stats! We have 34 subscribers, 4 sellers signed up for seller accounts, we have had a couple giveaways in the subscriber section and a discount code for the forum sponsored patterns in the marketplace. We have hit 4,000 registered users (about 1,100 logged in during the past week or so), we've sold about 60 items on the marketplace totaling around $300. We have 135 live items on the marketplace with more being added all the time. (I apologize for the generalities as well, I don't have all the exact numbers right in front of me).

Overall, pretty solid start for only being a couple months old!!
        “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

Comment

• rubyyarn
          rubyyarn commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it is outstanding that you had a functional site up and running within days of the Ravelry Purge. It is what the fiber world needs--great computer gurus!

Admin "Pretty solid start ..." is the understatement of the year. I don't see how you can have a day job and then come home and work on this. Thank you, thank you, thank you! And SDMcDaniel - I like what we have here too.
        Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

• HeatherAthebyne
          Editing a comment
          Let me add another *thank you* to the pile!

Wow - those stats are awesome!!!

Wasn’t “our” two month birthday yesterday? We’ve come so far and still in our infancy. Many kudos to Admin.
        Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Comment

The ability to search projects on a particular pattern is probably the feature I used most at the other site. I am very visual, and I want to see how the pattern works out for the average Joe. I know it’ll take a while for there to be a large enough collection of projects for this to be possible, but I find myself a bit depressed at times when I can’t look up patterns and tips.

Comment

A little over the top perhaps but I’m keeping my stash in Excel spreadsheet. I’m putting all of my projects in composition notebooks and plan on printing pictures of the finished products to place in there. The feature I used the most over “there” was my stash and looking at others project notes. I’m sure enjoying my time here because it feels much less cliquey.

Comment

• DJM
              DJM commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree, I am going to start a spreadsheet to see what I have (and maybe where it is). I didn't use much at the other site with the exception of CAL's and very few projects.
          Working...
          X