Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-ettiquette
See more
See less

SkeinLink web application for project and stash tracking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SkeinLink web application for project and stash tracking

https://github.com/heatherathebyne/skeinlink

I succumbed to the urge to write a new piece of free and open source software for tracking my projects and stash. I'm designing the architecture to be able to grow into a multi-user shared project, pattern, and stash tracking system -- something I'm missing, these days. I make no promises as to what I will actually release, since coding time cuts into my knitting time, and I haven't figured out how to do both at once*

If you are here looking for a personal download-and-install project tracker, this might not be the right one for you. This is a web application designed to be hosted on a web server. It's usually not hard to run it on your own computer (especially if you're on a Mac or running Linux), but you'll need to be technically adventurous if you don't already have that knowledge.

Anyway, I hope it helps someone. Okay, I'll admit I'm really hoping for code contributions, too It's a pretty standard Ruby on Rails application so far, if that's your thing.

Screenshots and caveats from the README:
    Personal project warning! I'm writing this for myself first, and features are implemented in roughly the order in which they are most important to me. Code quality may be all over the place. Specs will happen when I feel like writing them. I <3 pull requests!

This is not desktop software! If you are here looking for a personal download-and-install project tracker, this might not be the right one for you. This is a web application designed to be hosted on a web server. It's usually not hard to run it on your own computer (especially if you're on a Mac or running Linux), but you'll need to be technically adventurous if you don't already have that knowledge.

This is nowhere near feature complete! Or even feature adequate.

This is currently not safe to put on the public internet! No spam protection, project authorization is all over the place, no file type restrictions, ... the list goes on. It's not that the app is inherently unsafe, just that I haven't yet put in mitigations for certain common methods of abuse.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	project_page.png Views:	16 Size:	235.6 KB ID:	34046
    Click image for larger version  Name:	single_project.png Views:	9 Size:	101.3 KB ID:	34047

* My spinning wheel, on the other hand, is probably the best physical tool I have for solving coding problems.
    Last edited by HeatherAthebyne; 11-16-2019, 10:26 AM. Reason: Added stash, clarified some things

You are awesome! I look forward to seeing your progress!

Comment

I've added basic stash functionality, and the underlying structure to later support usage tracking and a yarn database. ๐ŸŽ‰ I also updated the main post to clarify some things -- it's not impossible (and probably not even hard) to get SkeinLink running locally for yourself.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stash_index.png
Views:	51
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	34210
      Click image for larger version

Name:	stash_detail.png
Views:	53
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	34209

Comment

• JollyLamb
        JollyLamb commented
        Editing a comment
        I forked your repo! Yay! I have no experience with Ruby (Python and PHP here) so we'll see how it goes. :-)

• HeatherAthebyne
        HeatherAthebyne commented
        Editing a comment
        Yay! Ruby's a lot of fun PHP was the first language I did any serious work in, and I've done a tiny bit of Python work.

No screenshots yet, but I've added a barebones yarn database function and company listing. I'm now to the point where I'm starting to catalog all of my stash -- meaning that I don't anticipate having to backfill a bunch of stuff later

If someone is interested in hosting an instance for multiple people, please reach out -- I'm willing to work with you to make it safe to run on the public internet, and otherwise provide some support.

Comment

HeatherAthebyne Do you mind if I scope it out and see if it could dovetail into the vbulletin authentication and plugin as a widget?
        โ€œThe only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

Comment

• HeatherAthebyne
          HeatherAthebyne commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure thing! I'm not familiar with how vBulletin does auth, but I'm using a pretty robust library (Devise) so there is probably a blazed trail between the two.
      Working...
      X