Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Our Unraveled Feature Wish List

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Unraveled Feature Wish List

I searched and couldn't find a Feature Wish List so I thought I would start one. If there is one already, please move my suggestion. If there is one, I also suggest it be made easy to find.

My suggestion - a yarn database describing the yarn's attributes and a place for knitters to make comments about their user experience with that yarn. When I want to try a new yarn, I want to know how it has worked out for other knitters. It may look great and feel wonderful but if it is going to bleed, felt or pill, I want to know. R had a database but I heard that the yarn manufacturers had the ability to remove negative comments. I think this should just be user comments with a reminder to be polite and constructive.
    Naperville, IL - Growing Zone 5

Originally posted by lovestostitch View Post
    When I want to try a new yarn, I want to know how it has worked out for other knitters.
    Great idea! I am quite a hike from the nearest yarn shop and I do buy online. I love reading others' impression of a yarn and hearing about how the finished object held up.

Comment

A yarn substitution calculator would be helpful too. So often I am searching for a substitute for the yarn the pattern was designed in.

Great idea, having a thread like this.
      lynn

Comment

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't really understand what a yarn calculator would do. I never worry about what yarn the designer uses. I use the same weight yarn and adjust my needle size if I need to to make gauge. Could you describe what you would like a yarn calculator to do?

Basically you put the yarn in the search engine that the pattern called for (the name of yarn, or fiber content, or gauge) and it will pull up a list of suggested substitutes, and how closely it matches and by what attributes. I seldom use the yarn the designer used either. This is just a tool that helps you find the closest match, to ensure the best outcome of your project.
      Take a look at the one at yarnsub.com. This will give you a good look at what one can do.😊

Comment

• lovestostitch
        lovestostitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. I've never seen that website before.

Originally posted by lovestostitch View Post
      R had a database but I heard that the yarn manufacturers had the ability to remove negative comments. I think this should just be user comments with a reminder to be polite and constructive.
      it is my understanding that Manufacturers and Distributors were permitted to correct inaccurate information -Things like color ranges, names, put ups, generally speaking "Label" details. - not user opinions (or least that was how it was done in the early years)

This was especially important when changes such as yardage was changed with later offerings, I can think of dozens of times when trying to assist a customer they were using incorrect data and so would have had way too much or too little yarn.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts
      =====
      My personal views & Opinions may well not be those of the owners, management and other moderators - nor, are they intended to be personal, but may require adult sized undies.

Comment

Working...
      X