Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Michigan Fiber Festival

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michigan Fiber Festival

Michigan Fiber Festival, come camp or just stay a day. Lots of classes and workshops. Venders! Venders! Venders! Fiber animals, competitions. For more information
    https://www.facebook.com/MichiganFiberFestival/
    Starts
    08-13-2019
    Ends
    08-18-2019

I will be there all weekend (Thurs-Sun). I help out at the Morning Meadows Sundries booth.

Comment

• Callielw
      Callielw commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice. I'm taking classes on Thursday and Friday. Do you camp out at the festival? I am tempted to do that, but just got home from one camping thing, not sure I'm up for another yet. Sounds like some fun things happen for the campers!

• Callielw
      Callielw commented
      Editing a comment
      i have your booth on my list to be sure to stop by! I hope to meet you there.

• Cherylb
      Cherylb commented
      Editing a comment
      Callielw Awesome! I look forward to meeting you!

We aren't camping this year. If we cant get into the Hotel in Plainwell we will stay in Kalamazoo.

Comment

I decided not to camp. I live an hour away and will now be there Thurs and Friday for classes and Sat to take friends shopping. I always look forward to this so much . Just sniffing and touching all the stuff brings me joy.

Comment

I'll be there camping, Friday and Saturday nights. So excited! It's my first fiber festival, any advice for a newbie (what to bring, etc.)?

Comment

• Cherylb
          Cherylb commented
          Editing a comment
          i can't speak to camping advice--its been forever since I have camped there.
          However, as a vendor (and an avid shopper):
          -have a couple of patterns you would like to knit and shop for them
          -set a budget
          -bring a (as in one) project that enables you to knit/crochet and chat at the same time
          -bring empty needle/hook (as in to work on 1 new project) so you can cast on that awesome skein of yarn that can't wait until you get home. I am a sock knitter so I always bring empty needles or a sock that is almost finished.
          --Take the time to talk to the vendors--they are a wealth of information
          -Most importantly HAVE FUN!

I used to bring 3 or 4 projects to work on while I am there but in the end I always cast on something new. And the projects I bring don't get worked on at all.

I usually only stay part of a day so I have to be organized. This will be a different experience for me. I bring my list of sheep breeds - I like to find roving/top from different breeds of sheep. Without my list, I totally forget amid all the temptations!

Here's what I try to remember to bring
        Large shopping bags. A list of what you want to look at. I highly recommend checking out vendors and their websites before hand.
        Good walking shoes.
        They do have food available, it's the same food you get at a county fair, but there are only a couple stands open. The lines can be long. I'm bringing a lunch this year. There are covered picnic tables no matter what you choose to eat.
        A camera for snaps of your receipts and business cards.
        Water. There are water fountains around but I find it easier to just bring my own.
        Check the weather - an umbrella might be nice.

The distance between some barns is quite a ways as is the parking lot. I think they have moved to different barns this year for some things so it will be interesting to see how it is all arranged this time around. I find all vendors very kind and helpful. I love talking to them and learning their experience in fiber arts.

Are you taking any of the workshops? I am taking a dyeing class and the breed study classes all day friday.

Comment

• Cherylb
          Cherylb commented
          Editing a comment
          Let me know how the breed study goes. That is definitely a class I would have loved to take!

I'll be there too! I've lived in Michigan all my life and have never gone to the festival so I'm pretty excited! My husband and I will be camping about an hour away from the festival since we couldn't get anything closer. I guess we should have planned further ahead. Looking forward to it!

Comment

• Callielw
          Callielw commented
          Editing a comment
          What is your target for shopping?

I've lived here 10 years. I try to go every year - at least for the last 7 anyway. I love it. I changed my mind about camping today- thinking I should do it so I can do some of the night activities. But if the spots are all taken...sigh. I'm always tardy to the party! But then, I'd only have a tent anyway!!

• Kathy7661
          Kathy7661 commented
          Editing a comment
          Callielw Well, since it's my first time, I'm not quite sure what to expect. I love to crochet, weave and I'm just learning how to knit. I'm thinking weaving yarn and fingering weight yarn for crocheting. Maybe a little project bag to remember my first time.
          I'm glad we're camping since we live about 3 hours away. It should be a fun weekend!

• Callielw
          Callielw commented
          Editing a comment
          Kathy7661* *I really love the time spent at the MFF.* I like seeing all the other people involved in fiber arts.* I love seeing what others have created and talking with them about it.* I don't like the prices.* Not that I don't think they are fair.* It just limits my shopping fun.* *There is so much to see.* I spend quite a bit of time in the animal barns too but I raise sheep so talking with other shepherds is educational and fills my bucket, so to speak.

Callielw I agree, it's so nice to see other people with the same interests. Last year my husband and I vacationed in Colorado. We took a tour of the Schacht Spindle Company...it was so exciting and inspiring!
        Thanks for the warning on the prices. Do you normally grab something when you're shopping or do you window shop first then backtrack?
        So how many sheep do have? Do you spin?

Comment

• Callielw
          Callielw commented
          Editing a comment
          It depends. If I love something, I get it. Then I back track and see what I missed while being wowed by what I bought. There's too much to see just one time through the barns. If I can't make up my mind, there's the business cards so I can order it later if I want. I haven't worried about things selling out. I usually go the earliest day possible to shop rather than Sunday. Yes, I spin. I have six sheep- a mixed spinner's flock.

Callielw and Cherylb thanks for the great tips, many things in there i NEVER would have thought of. gosh now i am glad i was too late for the spinning class i wanted.... i'd hate to tow my spinning wheel around if the distances are a bit far. as it is i think i'll just bring a drop spindle and knitting needles! I will be shopping yarn and fiber both, so that's a great idea to set my budget and do some pre-shopping. i am SO jealous you got into the breed class. i am taking the ultraviolet dyeing class on friday, is that what you're taking Callielw ?

Kathy7661 will your hubby come along? Or do you leave him in the camper all day? I'm sure wherever you are camping will be much nicer for him than at the fairgrounds, if he's sticking around camp or doing other things he might be much happier. Kathy I am not planning to window shop for fiber or yarn, because I am pretty sure that will go fast and I'll lose my chance to get certain colorways. But something like tools or a project bag, I plan to window shop and see what's there that I've never seen before.

My roommate thinks I am crazy for being so obsessed with fiber. I am excited to go somewhere where everyone is as crazy as me!

Comment

• Kathy7661
          Kathy7661 commented
          Editing a comment
          SushiRolag My husband plans on coming to the Fiber festival with me. He said if I like it, next year he could drop me off so I could take classes.This is the first time we're going so I'll be gathering information for the future.
          You make a good point about grabbing yarn while it last. Thanks for the tip!

• Callielw
          Callielw commented
          Editing a comment
          I think my dyeing is on Thursday - I'll have to look.

Callielw what breeds of sheep do you raise? do you sell fiber? (meaning are you selling fiber at the mff )

Comment

• Callielw
          Callielw commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a spinner's flock. One each Border Leicester, finnsheep, romney, and 3 crosses - one 1/2 finn and 2 are 3/4 BFL. I don't generally sell fiber and I am not selling at the fiber festival Sorry, selling is just too stressful for me. Right before I shear in the spring, I send all the wool I didn't get spun to a mill that will spin it into yarn for me. And no, I haven't knitted up last year's yarn yet.

• SushiRolag
          SushiRolag commented
          Editing a comment
          Callielw No need to apologize!!! I am sure it's very stressful and even if it wasn't, why do it if you don't want to, or it's not fun for you? That's smart to just send off the remainder and voila! clean slate for the next spinning year. No stress, no fiber hanging around making you feel overwhelmed. I have 4 bags of fiber hanging in my garage and every weekend I look at it and wonder when I'll have the time. I should probably just send it off to get processed.

• Callielw
          Callielw commented
          Editing a comment
          SushiRolag - Yes, I get THAT feeling. I have a bag of alpaca that's been hanging around for several years! I need to relearn how to spin thick yarn. That would make the spinning so much faster!

Callielw Ok you send me yours and I'll spin it thick, then I'll send you mine to spin laceweight!

Comment

• Callielw
          Callielw commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL!!! That might not be that bad of an idea!

I have one of my granddaughters tomorrow through Wednesday. I have my bag all packed and ready to go. Cleaned up the spinning wheel today; put new leaders on my bobbins; restrung my scotch tension band. Anyone else getting prepared? Any interest in meeting up somewhere some time? I have found that it's hard to meet when we're all so busy shopping and talking! But maybe you'd like to anyway!!

Comment

• SushiRolag
          SushiRolag commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it would be fun to meet up as well, although it seems like we are all around at different times. Maybe Saturday lunch-sih? People coming for the weekend would be there by then, people taking classes already have taken them.... ?

• Callielw
          Callielw commented
          Editing a comment
          SushiRolag, that sounds like a good idea for Sat at noon. I hope to be there very early on Sat. There's a pavllion in the middle of the fairground where they have live music sometimes. If you'd like, that might be a good place to gather. I'll check out the space tomorrow.

• SushiRolag
          SushiRolag commented
          Editing a comment
          Well if it can work out that would be lovely!

I'd like to buy a hackle But I need to check prices before I go to see what I'd be willing to pay at the FF. And..I need a new orifice hook for my wheel and a diz. I'm going to try to avoid the mountains of dyed bumps since I have about 25 pounds of roving from my own sheep at home. We'll see how well that goes when I see all the pretty colors!

Comment

I know I'm tardy with this...life happens. Did you enjoy the Michigan Fiber Festival? What did you come home with?

I really enjoyed my classes. Totally enjoyed them. I learned how to spin with enough twist to get the yarn I wanted ( in the breed study class of all places!?!). The dyeing class was a lot of walking back and forth to the restrooms to get warm water but it was fun. I didn't really learn anything except a better way to roll the fiber up inside the plastic. Lots of great people in my classes. I also liked the vendor area in the lower barns. (that's what I call them). They were cooler and roomier than stuffing everyone in the upper barns.

Comment

Callielw My husband and I went on Friday morning. This being my first time ever I was pleasantly surprised at all the lovely yarn the vendors presented. So much to choose from it was a little overwhelming. I'm glad I planned ahead and knew what I was looking for. It was thoroughly enjoyable and I was very happy with my purchases. I walked away with enough yarn for a top and cardigan, along with a large tote with Michigan Fiber Festival 2019 stamped on it. We stayed at Ionia State Park about an hour away from the festival which was very nice also. It was a fun weekend!

Comment

• Callielw
              Callielw commented
              Editing a comment
              Kathy7661...so glad you enjoyed your time at the MFF! It certainly helped that the weather was very mild! It seemed a bit smaller to me this year but I think that is because they moved most of the vendors to the larger barn. I bought some dyes, an orifice hook, needles, sparkles to add to batts, a tiny bit of roving; and some earrings! I loved talking to the vendors.
          Working...
          X