LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Hello from NW Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from NW Michigan

I prefer the organization of forums as opposed to the jumble of social media so was pretty happy to stumble upon Fiberkind. I haven't had a chance to explore much, but like what I've seen so far.
    Home is a small yarn farm in NW MI where we have plenty of opportunity to wear warm, wool clothing. This climate suits my interests so well. A sentiment I try to keep in mind while shoveling snow.
    I wonder, a lot, about how precious fabric used to be when it was all produced by hand and would like to find out. My main goal is to see how many garments can be made from 4 small breed sheep and 6 angora rabbits. The lofty goal is to have a small wardrobe of clothing made from my animals. A small achievement on the path to the main goal is to start using the fiber from my small flock of sheep and angora rabbits for something other than hats and mittens.
    I look forward to reading through the interesting topics and learning more about all of you.

Welcome and enjoy your stroll thru the Fiberkind family of activities!

Comment

• Starlighthill
      Starlighthill commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I am loving the stroll.

Hello, and a hearty welcome to FiberKind. How fun that you have yarn animals and can sustain your fiber habit! I look forward to hearing more about your activities. We have a lot of forums as well as groups, and you can be as active as you like. We love pictures too!

Kathie from Indiana

2021 Stashbuster: WTD + 2, YTD - 97

Comment

• Starlighthill
      Starlighthill commented
      Editing a comment
      I see there is a lot to discover here! Thank you for the warm welcome.

Welcome to FiberKind! I’m glad you found us. I’m hoping you are already seeing how welcoming we are, and you’ll soon find we can also be quite enabling!

Do you also spin your wool? If so - you might be interested in our upcoming “Spin de Fleece”. There is some chatter and organizing going on currently

Spin de Fleece

If you need any help getting around don’t hesitate to reach out!
    Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2021: WE 6/12/21 +84 YTD +405
    Stashbuster MAL 2020: -286

Comment

• Starlighthill
      Starlighthill commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I think will be a comfortable place to hang out.
      Actually, Tour de Fleece is what drew me here. I was looking for someplace to join this year other than social media which is where I participated in the past. I'm so happy my search led me here.
      Thanks for doing the hard work of Admin so we can all enjoy this forum.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Starlighthill I am happy to do it. I’m actually the happy owner of the site. So - if you see anything going awry, I’m your gal.

• Starlighthill
      Starlighthill commented
      Editing a comment
      Congratulations on a wonderful site and thank you for providing us a gathering place. If I need help, I'll holler.

Starlighthill Welcome! If you like to knit socks, we have monthly sock KALs with a prize drawing.

https://fiberkind.com/forum/knitting...-sock-kal-chat
    Naperville, IL - Growing zone 5b

Comment

• Starlighthill
      Starlighthill commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey thanks for sharing that link. Socks are something I must knit in secret to avoid the family members hanging over my shoulder asking if the socks are for them. Just kidding...sorta. One of my goals was to have enough handmade socks to ditch the commercial ones, so I'm on my way to join.
      My uncle lives in Lisle, Ill and my parents were from Elmhurst. I've been in your area many times.

Hello! I grew up in Michigan! Welcome and enjoy this site.
    Linda
    2021 Stasbusting week ending 6/19 WTD = +0 YTD = +86
    2020 Stash busted +160
    Book Challenge 91/100; 24 non-fiction

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost.
    The Old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost" JRR Tolkien

Comment

• crosstitchlinda
      crosstitchlinda commented
      Editing a comment
      I grew up in Southfield which is a suburb of Detroit. We lived in Midland for about 7 years before we moved to Indiana. As a child we had a cottage in Caseville, in the Thumb.

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      Starlighthill I grew up in Portage MI

• Starlighthill
      Starlighthill commented
      Editing a comment
      Three Michiganders. I live up by Traverse City.

Welcome, Starlighthill! I feel the same way about forums vs. social media. I look forward to hearing about your wool adventures and what you discover. I have no experience with making yarn, but it is interesting to me all the same.
    Gardening Zone: 9a

Comment

• TeaNSugar
      TeaNSugar commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't do anything fancy, either, and I haven't been getting much accomplished. I mostly come here and see what everyone else is doing it seems.

For sewing, I have wanted for a long time to make some simple tops and maybe even attempt simple denim pants because I can't stand that women's jeans are not made with 100% cotton anymore. Also, learning how to quilt from Char is now on my list of things I'd love to do.

Last night I was looking at an old 1971 Butterick sewing book I have called Ready Set Sew which I picked up at a garage sale at some point. It's good with lots of information in it, and I remember doing a lot of the techniques about 40 years ago, but now it all seems so overwhelming to me. So I finally shut the book. lol

What types of things have you been knitting and crocheting?

• Char
      Char commented
      Editing a comment
      TeaNSugar - yay for quilting with Char!

• Starlighthill
      Starlighthill commented
      Editing a comment
      TeaNSugar I fall into that trap, too. Too much looking around and not enough doing.
      I used to sew and would like to make some simple skirts and tunics, but have to work on my finicky machine first. That's what stops me, the machine mechanical work. I find it tedious.
      I bet if you sit down with a simple pattern, it will all come back to you.
      Right now, I'm washing and combing fleeces getting ready for Spin de Fleece. I need to spin some yarn to turn a vest I made into a sweater. After that, maybe, make socks. I want to make some felt hats. That's about it.

Welcome! My favorite thing to knit is sweaters. Are you a sweater knitter? I have seen some beautiful knit coats but never wanted to invest in that much expensive yarn. You could totally do that!

I envy your weather. Here in California we rarely need a coat. Or hats or scarves. It's a bit depressing for me. I grew up in New Jersey, but my mom was from Michigan & Chicago.

Comment

• Starlighthill
      Starlighthill commented
      Editing a comment
      I have knit one sweater and crocheted another many years ago. I have this thing I made without a pattern that is like a lose vest. I did very little prep on the wool and spun from the lock. I was going for primitive. It's that, lol. My daughter calls it the "Road Kill Shawl". I'm going to turn it into a sweater by adding sleeves and lengthening the bottom.
      Knitting a proper sweater would be lovely. A coat would be really cool. A felted coat would be superb. I'll be thinking about that one. Thanks for suggesting it.
      I lived in Northern Florida for many years and remember being so grateful I was no longer up here when I would see snowy weather catastrophes on the news. But, I wasn't a knitter. Nor did I keep fiber animals. Now, I'm quite content, but sorry for your lack of opportunity to wear knit things.

• Hellokitten
      Hellokitten commented
      Editing a comment
      A happy medium somewhere......

Hi Starlighthill! I have only been here a short time but this is a great place. In a few short months, I have enjoyed immensely the interactions while learning so much. I wish the same for you!
    I'm Laur but my droid name is K2-Tog
    Blog: A Knit Hope
    Join us at WIZARDING SCHOOL 🧙‍♂️

Comment

• Starlighthill
      Starlighthill commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you. I live it already!

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse