Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

How can I transfer my data from Ravelry to this site?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If that is not possible, I would like to be able to store all of my photos and project descriptions somewhere. What are other Our Raveled members doing? Thanks!

I wrote a couple blog posts on how to save off projects and library/patterns, at hollybriscoe.com. There's some manual effort involved, especially for the latter, but it's better than losing absolutely everything. For queue, I would simply "PDF print" each page in whichever view it is that shows the most information. For stash, you can at least export the non-photo details via the built-in XL export option.

There is an option to export all your data to JSON format, but (1) it may take quite some time to generate the export file, and (2) I don't know that there's an easy way to split it all back out into individual, useful pieces at the moment.

ETA: Oh, doing the above doesn't transfer the data here. It just lets you get electronic versions, of varying quality, off Rav and onto your computer (or, I guess, a mobile device). Then at some point in the future, we might be able to upload it here, or we may need to actually re-enter it all. We'll have to wait and see, I think.
    Download for free my comprehensive, twelve-hundred-page (!) book, Stitch by Bloody Stitch: Knitting Charts Explained, at my website, http://hollybriscoe.com/first-edition-announced/

Comment

• sherryglover1
      sherryglover1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Under your small Avatar on the right top of the page, there is an option to export data and when you click it there are several items you can download immediately. 1. Full List of Library contents. 2. Purchased Pattern PDS. 3. Queue. 4. Stash Inventory. 5. Exported data in JSON format that includes messages. The JSON export is all run together but you can see a lot of information.

Thank you, ilexedits

So far, I have transferred photos of one project to a picture file on my laptop and I put the text into a word document. I really don’t know how to do the ideas that you gave me and I may be able to get some help with it from my kids when they can help me. I am afraid that Ravelry will detect that I am trying to make my exit and shut my account without giving me access to my data. This will take a long time and I do not have the time right now, but I will keep trying.

I appreciate your prompt response and I look forward to using Our Unraveled

Comment

I will check your blog when I have time; I have spent too much time on Ravelry exit today!

Couldn’t resist checking. Thank you! I think I can do this, but it will take a lot of time that I don’t have. I’ll try to chip away at it a little each day. Thanks again!
      Last edited by hookedonneedles; 07-13-2019, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• sherryglover1
        sherryglover1 commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s a slow process but you will get there. Don’t get discouraged. I only have my projects left to finish up and I will be done. I can then do the happy dance. YAY.

I feel your pain - I just hopped over from the other side of the Wall, as it were, and I'm looking at bucket-loads of projects downloaded from there. I might just go for a brand new start and forget The Site That Must Not Be Named ever existed...

Comment

ilexedits and all other readers. If you go to your export page on Rav there is an option to download your queue in PDF format. The format is actually very nice and includes space on the right side of the page for notes. If there are any notes on your queued items they are also included.

Comment

Celentobarr

There were a couple different threads about this on the original new site. I decided to use evernote for now. I copied and pasted all up my stash into individual notes. I also copied and pasted all of my 2019 projects into notes in a separate evernote notebook. Because I did not want to lose my old project info I saved each of my project pages as a PDF file off of Ravelry onto an external hard drive.

There is also an app called MyCollections. I liked that very well because you could set up calculations for your stash. However I did not end up using it because it was taking so long to enter my stash into. Somebody else posted another great looking app that would let you connect modules together so that you could connect stash to projects. However I had already moved everything to Evernote and just couldn't do it again. I'm on my phone right now come up but when I get back inside I can find the name of that 3rd app.

Comment

• stat1995
            stat1995 commented
            Editing a comment
            knitterlady13 Just curious if you found the name of that third app. I've been slowly removing my data and appreciate the advice on this thread... wasn't sure how to tackle removing projects so all these comments are very helpful!

I got a add-on for chrom called "print friendly & PDF". I go to my project page, and click on it. If it captures all of my project photos, I click save as pdf and then download the pdf and store it on my hard drive. If it does not capture all of my project photos, then I have to use google docs.

To use google docs, start highlighting text from the end of your notes up toward the left corner of your first picture. Then right click on your selection and choose copy (its a bit down from the top), and paste into a google doc. If google can't get the pictures, just delete the broken links for them from the doc, and choose each picture on ravelry one by one and copy them into the document.

Comment

Originally posted by knitterlady13 View Post
            ilexedits and all other readers. If you go to your export page on Rav there is an option to download your queue in PDF format. The format is actually very nice and includes space on the right side of the page for notes. If there are any notes on your queued items they are also included.
            Where can I find the export page?

Comment

Hover Over your avatar in the top right corner and you will see a drop down menu. Click the export link pretty

Comment

Saving things takes time. Take a deep breath and don't rush so you stay less stressed. I started on 6/23, and it took me two weeks to get my patterns, projects, and pictures. Then from then until last night I saved tutorial links and other things I wanted before finally deleting my account. I was waiting for side trade packages to arrive so I knew I wasn't signing off until those were received.

Here is what I did:
                First I did the JSON export data everyone is mentioning. I will deal with that later. Just having it is nice. Then I saved all of my projects in pdf format. I did this on my phone, and later learned I could have done it on my computer by setting the print setting to save as pdf vs print. SMH. I had 354 projects, and saved 50/day this way. Then I used the 'purchase' page to save my slew of patterns on my computer. I made separate files for my paid for, my gifted patterns, and the freebie patterns that I saw on that page. This took time. I had 7 pages of purchased patterns. I downloaded almost all of them. Then I had 41 pages of free or had used a coupon for. Gah! To tackle that I went thru 5 pages in a sitting, unchecked the library column for those I did not want. Then went back and downloaded the ones I did want. As I downloaded a made category files. I would save all the sweaters, then the socks, etc. I did this per page. Next page, repeat. It took me about 2 weeks to get all my patterns. Then looking at my 'library' I found several patterns that didn't show up on that 'purchase' page. So I went through the categories there and found what I had time for. I am sure I left not finding all those that slipped through the cracks. But I had had enough by this point.

I also went through my projects and saved any personal pictures of my children and family modeling my knits. That was very nostalgic and fun to see. Brought tears of joy to my eyes, and helped me focus on good things rather than the doom and gloom of what R has done. I saved some larger project pictures for special projects. I saved handspun stash pics.

Then once I had saved what I wanted I started my mass delete. This took several days. I deleted all my projects, all my stash, all my sold/traded stuff. I bounced back and forth between working on these and deleting my 60-some pages of favorites! I didn't want to leave anything on Rav. As I went through the faves, I kept last the things I faved that were tutorials, etc. I went through those and made files in Word, or bookmarked the external links. Once all that was done, it was deleting messages and friends. Just a couple months ago, for the first time ever, I had culled my messages. I had 40+ pages of those when I started. I had it down to just 3-5 pages, so that was easier to handle compared to everything else.

Finally yesterday all my loose ends were done,last package received, and I was free to leave.

So, it takes time. At first I was so overwhelmed trying to figure out where to start. I realized after a day it was much easier to start with that 'purchase' page vs the monstrous 'library.' Having the feature to sort out your gifts, paid for, freebies, gifted by designer, etc was nice. That helped me better figure how to sift through things. Then while I was doing it I helped myself in the future by saving according to category type as I went vs having one large pattern file of everything.

Hope this helps someone who is struggling.

My best advice is to breath. Be diligent and make sure you leave with what you want. If you have certain patterns you love, double check that name and designer to make sure you haven't missed it.

Also, before I clicked delete, I made sure to copy everything from my computer to a USB stick. Now I have a back up if my computer happened to crash. I wanted that double security before I was fully at the point of no return.

Sorry this is long. Hey, not on R so have some freed up time - 😂
                Last edited by 3girlymom; 07-16-2019, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Excellent instructions and I admire your patience in taking everything you wanted off R. Thanks for taking the time to write all this down. I wish now that I had not been quite so impulsive about hitting my delete button but I was just so angry! The only thing I miss are my project pages - so much information that could be useful. But in a way it's freeing to start from square one again. My Favorites were so overwhelming that indecision usually marked my question of "what shall I make?"
                  Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

Originally posted by ilexedits View Post
                    I wrote a couple blog posts on how to save off projects and library/patterns, at hollybriscoe.com. There's some manual effort involved, especially for the latter, but it's better than losing absolutely everything. For queue, I would simply "PDF print" each page in whichever view it is that shows the most information. For stash, you can at least export the non-photo details via the built-in XL export option..
                    Link to your blog?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts
                    =====
                    My personal views & Opinions may well not be those of the owners, management and other moderators - nor, are they intended to be personal, but may require adult sized undies.

Comment

• ilexedits
                      ilexedits commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They're tagged Rexit at hollybriscoe.com.

There are some ideas on downloading your information here: https://iknitsocks.home.blog/

I think the blog portion of this site will work well as project pages, but you'll need to enter each one separately. It won't transfer automatically.

Comment

Thank you, everyone for all of your advice and help. I will need some time to work on this that I don't have right now. I do have another question about Ourunraveled, that I will post here and then probably post as a separate thread: How can I change my name on Ourunraveled? I did not think clearly when I registered and I think I should make a new name, not the one that I used before on the other site. I looked at Edit my Profile but there is no space for name, that I can see. Thanks again for all of your help!

Comment

Working...
                      X