Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Most Used FO?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most Used FO?

I was texting with a friend (about knitting of course) and eating dinner and it dawned on me that out of all my beautiful projects, there is one that gets more use tenfold over the others. I have several shawls, a couple of socks, a few blankets, MANY hats, and even a couple of baby dresses, but my #1 most used FO...

A dishcloth. *LOL*

How funny that a "throwaway" project that I don't fawn over like my others is literally the only one I use on a daily basis. It just goes to show that even the plain, simple creations can be just as important as the beautiful works of art.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1883.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	11303

What's your most often used FO?
    Last edited by Suthernknitwitt; 07-25-2019, 08:08 PM.
    "And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17

Suthernknitwitt, I love your dishcloth revelation!

For me, I'd have to say my FO that sees the most use is a scrap afghan that covers my favorite swiveling easy chair. That blue-green-white cozy is used every single day, like your elegantly humble dishcloth.
    Bless those who disappoint you; they're leading you toward a better path.

Comment

Suthernknitwitt - I see you are using your dishcloth as a hot pad. I do the same thing. I don't really like using them as dishcloths or washcloths but I love them as hot pads. I also love making potholders out of kitchen cotton. I use two strands and knit or crochet them really tight. They make the best potholders because they wash so well. Store bought potholders look so ragged if you wash them but the homemade ones look great after washing.
    Naperville, IL - Growing Zone 5

Comment

• Suthernknitwitt
      Suthernknitwitt commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes! I couldn't come up with the word "hot pad" or "trivet" as we say down here. Technically it's a dish cloth, but we hardly ever use it as one. It's always a trivet. We love that it's round and works so well with bowls. Gotta have some way to hold that hot bowl of gumbo! (Note: That is NOT gumbo in the above picture. lol)

• annekepoot
      annekepoot commented
      Editing a comment
      Funny how different areas have different words - a dish cloth here is a tea towel. We would probably say dish rag for the thing you scrub the dishes with. And a trivet here is nearly always a material like wicker or metal or something sturdy, rarely used for a knitted or crocheted item. As a Canadian visiting an American friend in a park I asked where the washroom was and she got a strange look on her face - apparently there it was toilets - not the place where you take a bath!

• Suthernknitwitt
      Editing a comment
      annekepoot isn't it cool?! I love comparing dialect between regions. We have a variety of dialects in my state of Louisiana alone! For instance, my DH's family calls the refrigerator an ice box, but my family has always said fridge. We grew up 3 minutes down the road from each other! (To be fair, his family comes from a long line of Cajun French where my family is mostly from "the north"--Northern Louisiana that is.

My most used FO would have to be my handwoven teatowels.

Comment

Towels for me too.

Name:	IMG_20161125_084601.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	11335

Comment

• Kathy7661
      Kathy7661 commented
      Editing a comment
      I love your towels! Nice pattern and great colors!
      Last edited by Kathy7661; 07-25-2019, 10:01 PM.

• SpinsterJulieB
      SpinsterJulieB commented
      Editing a comment
      I love your colors.

• ILVLUCY
      ILVLUCY commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh gosh, I need to learn to weave, right now I'm a very new weaver.

Suthernknitwitt - I just saw this link in another thread and wanted to share it here. It is for a crocheted bowl cozy.

http://amysastitchatatime.blogspot.c...t-pattern.html
    Naperville, IL - Growing Zone 5

Comment

• Suthernknitwitt
      Editing a comment
      Oh man those are awesome! I may have to try it, though I am TERRIBLE at crocheting.

Mine is the Bare Branches Cardigan from Botanical Knits 2. I throw it on all the time in cold weather 😊

Comment

A handspun Faroese shawl that I made over 20 years ago. It’s wool/mohair, lives on my recliner, and at least 3 generations of kittens have loved sleeping on or under it every bit as much as I love to wear it.

Name:	1FE395F2-AB54-4477-8416-A092247BA8EC.jpeg
Views:	130
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	11460Click image for larger version

Name:	6DC7C485-F60B-4D42-863E-71C5256BA2CF.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	11461

Comment

• FreedomLover
        FreedomLover commented
        Editing a comment
        It's so nice of the kittens to let you borrow it from time to time. It's a beautiful color and stitch pattern.

• SpinsterJulieB
        SpinsterJulieB commented
        Editing a comment
        They never let me borrow it. I have to wait until they move before I get it.

SpinsterJulieB Great shawl! Can't believe it's over 20 years old!

Comment

• SpinsterJulieB
        SpinsterJulieB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I’m having a hard time believing that I’ve made things that old and older.

uhm…. what's a trivet? Are you talking about pot holders? It is interesting how different regions have different names for things. I grew up all over the US (although I have souther roots), and my words for these things are completely strange. tea towels? I grew up calling them dish towels, or hand towels. A washroom to me is a bathroom, and as I said, we put pot holders under hot bowls/pots/ whatever.

My most used item? It depends on who you ask in my family! For me, it would be the wicker lace handwarmers I made last year. I have poor blood circulation, and my hands are almost always cold, sometimes even in summer. And last winter, I sometimes had to fight my boys for them! I haven't made any for them yet, that's on the agenda for this fall. I made a scarf and hat set for my youngest son, the winter before he entered middle school, and he still uses them to this day (he graduated this spring). I made a scarf and hat set for my husband, about the same time, and he's worn them so much that the yarn is starting to break down! I'm kind of known for my scarf/hat projects. In fact, I look forward to actually making patterns for them!

Comment

Mine is my tatty old “house cardigan” that is in its second incarnation. Years ago, I made myself a cardigan that I didn’t really like, it had garter stitch panels and edgings and it looked a bit home-made (as opposed to hand-made). I wore it, though - I had done all that work, hadn’t I? Eventually, I realised I was not going to wear it again, so I ripped it out and made myself another, plain cardigan, just stocking stitch with ribbed edgings and a couple of pockets. I have had it so long and it has been washed so often that it doesn’t look smart enough to wear to go out any more, but it is a good fit and cosy enough to wear for most of the winter, so it is still going strong at home. I can’t remember what kind of yarn I used, but I have been in this house about 15 years and I had the first version when I came here, so it is just about indestructible!

Comment

My most used item is a large crochet scrap yarn blanket. Big enough for a 6 foot person to use.
          It was the first thing I made. I used yarn remnants a friend didn't want or need and held the yarn double. I somehow managed to do a ton of checkerboard squares. Then bought myself some black yarn to crochet things together. (I only knew the basic of crochet. So the whole thing is a combination of chain stitches, SC and maybe a DC in a place or two. A complete and total mess if you were to try to figure out what stitches I used where. I didn't know what I was doing...so I just did whatever was necessary to make this blanket look the way I wanted it to.)

It is 25 years old and still going strong.
          Acrylic and apparently unstoppable.

It is weighty and it is everyone's favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by AcornWillows View Post
            Mine is the Bare Branches Cardigan from Botanical Knits 2. I throw it on all the time in cold weather 😊
            AcornWillows - Intrigued by the name, I did a web search on "Bare Branches Cardigan"... interesting!
            I like the designer's botanical theme throughout the collection, and found some personal favorites:
            - sunlight autumn (with the delicate lace leaf medallion on the center back yoke of the cardi)
            - twigs and willows mitts (fingerless mitts)

Thanks for introducing us/me to this designer.

Comment

qfknit you're welcome! I highly recommend getting her book! Everything is beautiful! I loved the tree worked on the back of Bare Branches!

Comment

Working...
              X