This is the UK affiliate ad
LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Random Acts of Kindness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random Acts of Kindness

During this time of unease & change, I feel we need to hear about those random acts that remind us of the kindness in the world.

I'll start!

I live in a small community of 30 homes. The families living here go from newlyweds to retirees. Yesterday, my sweet neighbor & her 2 children (ages 6 & 2) were out for a walk. I was standing at my front window as they were passing & waved. The next thing I know, they're at my window pressing their hand on the glass. I held mine up as if to touch theirs. It was such a happy gesture! The kids faces lit up! Just a reminder of how people can make a difference.
    Debbie

Stashbusting CAL WTD -36/YTD -642 (2019-642)(2018-109)
    Book Challenge 45/50 (2019-51)(2018-35)

“Properly practiced, knitting (& crochet) soothes the troubled spirit, and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either.”
    Elizabeth Zimmerman with edits by me

Now go wash your window. No, seriously, that is so sweet!

We live in a small rural community. But people in Texas are the best, from my experience living there years ago.

Comment

Aww, melts your heart! 💕

Comment

• qfknit
        qfknit commented
        Editing a comment
        Verklempt

A group of teachers in our area did a drive by parade for their students. I thought that was pretty cool.

We live out in the country. We might be able to shout from our front porch and no one could hear us. Cornfields to the right, cows to the left.
      Knitting is happening here! ❤️

Stashbuster MAL 2020: WTD: +2: YTD -273

Comment

• Char
        Char commented
        Editing a comment
        FreedomLover - yay - you are singing with me!

• qfknit
        qfknit commented
        Editing a comment
        FreedomLover - that's what came to my mind, too!

• rkennell
        rkennell commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, I'm also in the middle of a cornfield--rather not minding that too much just yet!

That is totally so awesome!! How precious!

Comment

So, I've been trying to mail a package now for more than a week. We mail our things at the one grocery store in town. Our time to get groceries is 6-7am and they no longer staff the post-office counter until 9am. It doesn't seem right to go back just for that so my package has been patiently waiting for.....something.

Today our mailman came all the way up the drive to deliver my mail and a package. My DH asked him if he could mail my outgoing package and he said sure. After explaining we didn't know the postage, he simply said "Oh, I'll just pay for it." How nice! (He's a sweetheart anyway). ~Of course, we gave him enough to cover and some extra for his kindness~

God bless all these front-line people who are enabling us to stay safe in our homes! If you know some, please pass along a big THANK YOU!

Comment

• FreedomLover
          FreedomLover commented
          Editing a comment
          Is there a way to sing his praises to his supervisor or on local social media?

• qfknit
          qfknit commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, a salute and a prayer to our postal workers, truck drivers, garbage collectors, and more... the hidden backbone of our country!

• rkennell
          rkennell commented
          Editing a comment
          Something home baked? A loaf of bread or a sack of cookies would prob. fit the mailbox. Unless he's scared to take it, but most likely not.

Wow, how nice!! 💕

Comment

I got to see an amazing thing yesterday. We have grandtwins who are in kindergarten and the schools have been closed for the last two weeks. It was just announced that the schools will remain closed through April so the teachers arranged a parade with the help of the Sherriff's department. They decorated their cars and drove through their students neighborhoods waving and calling out "We miss you!" Both of my grands' teachers saw them and addressed them by name as we all waved. A neighbor who doesn't have children came out to see what was going on and said it made her cry. The kids absolutely loved it.
          Last edited by FreedomLover; 03-28-2020, 11:56 AM. Reason: typo
          Shelly in South Carolina

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

US Gardening Zone 8B

Comment

• qfknit
            qfknit commented
            Editing a comment
            Verklempt

• rkennell
            rkennell commented
            Editing a comment
            That is precious!

• DJM
            DJM commented
            Editing a comment
            We need more stories like this!!

For our postal worker, I taped a personal-size bottle of hand sanitizer to a note card with well-wishes and placed that in our mailbox with the flag up.
          The next day, I got a thank-you note in return.

A local healthy bread-baker (an essential service as a food producer for the community) is working during early morning senior grocery shop hours when the stores tend to be well stocked. The baker began asking customers if any had the opportunity when out running their essential errands, to purchase an extra hand sanitizer for them to have out for customer use, they would gladly reimburse. Now I often feel lucky, and happened to purchase a pump-bottle of hand sanitizer, which I gladly gifted to them.

Haven't seen another bottle of hand sanitizer since... LOL, I guess that means at the moment I do not need one nor know anyone who does.

Comment

• DJM
            DJM commented
            Editing a comment
            This is awesome!!

• Hellokitten
            Hellokitten commented
            Editing a comment
            I have been searching for hand sanitizer for over a month now. I never had any, and apparently will not ever have any. I really hoped to have it in my car. I have a can of clorox wipes I use in my car. I hope that's good enough to get me home to soap and water.

That was so thoughtful of you to share your sanitizer.

• qfknit
            qfknit commented
            Editing a comment
            Hellokitten - yes it sells fast!
            Many stores limit purchase to 1 item, but I have also seen some with a limit of 2, even one with a limit of 3.
            We happened to already have some gel hand sanitizer on hand for picnics, camping, etc, and that came in handy.
            So far this year I have just purchased that one which was given to the baker.

LOL, for years now I have carried a small personal size gel hand sanitizer dangling from my purse strap.
            People would laugh, roll their eyes, nudge each other, look away... not anymore!
            Suddenly it's almost fashionable.

qfknit
          Our church used to have a hand shaking time. And some of my children and I would use hand sanitizer afterward. Always got funny looks....the last month we were at church I started sharing with people around me. Funny how times change.

Btw...you might have some luck finding this product at the dollar stores. I think right now the majority that is being made is going to front line workers.

Anther thing to consider...Local breweries are making an alcohol spray hand sanitizer. Some are giving it away. Some are only supplying front line workers.
          Might be worth checking out.
          https://www.sacbee.com/news/article241246761.html
          Book Challenge 38/50
          2020 stash busting WTD. YTD. 29

Comment

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
          X