Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-ettiquette
See more
See less

2019 50 Book Challenge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#47 - Mr. Churchill's Secretary by Susan Elia MacNeal - #1 in the Maggie Hope series. This book reminds me of the Maisie Dobbs series.
    Naperville, IL - Growing Zone 5

Comment

75. Anything is Possible by Elizabeth Strout.
      Strangely interesting, but weird book. 3 stars

Achieved yearly reading goal of 75 books!

Comment

41. The New Good Life: Living Better Than Ever in an Age of Less by John Robbins - Another good book by the son of the Baskin-Robbins founder who refused to take over the business and settled into a life of living with less. A bit of repetition of previous books but still good. 4/5
      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

46. Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore: A Novel...by Matthew Sullivan (Audio) I saw this on Woolfan list & found it a worthy listen.

Engaging characters (& the bibliomystery angle) was very interesting. Tightly plotted mystery within mysteries all character-driven & essential to the story.
        Debbie

So much yarn, so few hiding spots!

Book Challenge 2019 47/50

TexasPurl Designs / Trello Knitting Board / Trello Crochet Board

Comment

#76. How to Walk Away by Katherine Center. 4 stars

Comment

#48 Princess Elizabeth's Spy by Susan Elia MacNeal. #2 in the Maggie Hope series. I was hoping I would enjoy this series as much as the Maisie Dobbs series but they aren't as good. I listened to both #1 and #2 as audiobooks and there was a change in the narrator and I really dislike the one who read book #2. I found her voice really annoying.

Comment

Haven't posted in a bit so here goes
              43. A Pocket Full of Rye
              44. A Caribbean Mystery
              45. At Bertrams Hotel
              46 Murder in the Mews
              A bit of a Christie re-read

47. Murder in C Major
              48. The Adept
              49 The Lodge of the Lynx

I read a lot on my NOOK while doing the mindless parts of knitting, like all the hats I do for others.

Comment

42. Healthy at 100 - John Robbins - Studying the longevity cultures - should be mandatory reading for anyone living in a "first world" country. 6/5
                Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

#49 Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. Wow, I don't know how to rate this book. It was the sickest mystery I've ever read. The main character is part of a truly sick, toxic family. It was a good mystery but don't read it if you can't handle toxic families.

Comment

43. Food Revolution: How Your Diet Can Save Your Life and Our World - John Robbins - another great book by Robbins - highly recommended - a little out of date but no less relevant. 5/5

Comment

#50 - Lies Jane Austen Told Me by Julie Wright. I needed a "palette cleanser" after that sick psychological thriller I read so I read a silly romance.

Comment

47. The Death of Mrs. Westaway...Ruth Ware (Audio)
                        Excellent mystery. Narrator was very good.
                        Debbie

So much yarn, so few hiding spots!

Book Challenge 2019 47/50

TexasPurl Designs / Trello Knitting Board / Trello Crochet Board

Comment

• TexasPurl
                          TexasPurl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          lovestostitch It's was so enjoyable. I listened all day yesterday. Couldn't wait to get in the car & finish this morning!

• lovestostitch
                          lovestostitch commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It was especially interesting to me because my book club read it on my recommendation. When we discussed it, a number of the women hated it. When we tried to figure out why they hated it, we figured out they didn't get it and explaining the twists about the relationships and the clues from the photo didn't help. The book did have some good twists.

• Bettymo
                          Bettymo commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I tried listening and it just took forever for the story to develop. The author just kept repeating what we already knew over and over. I gave up.
                      Working...
                      X