Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

2019 50 Book Challenge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

17. Un Traitre a Notre Gout - John leCarre (Fr) - Another spy novel - I'd give it a 4 mainly because of my lack of translation skills, I'm only understanding about 90% of the words - but on the whole it's a good book. Not as exciting in terms of action as The Spy Who Came in From the Cold - it's mostly dialogue and interviews.
    18. El Bargueno - Keila Ochoa Harris (Sp) - very well written - switches between past and present - a 5 for me
    19. Palomas - Keila Ochoa Harris (Sp) - really enjoyed this one as well - a 5
    20. La Cabana - Wm. Paul Young (Sp)- I don't like the premise of this book but that doesn't negate the author's talent - a 3 for me because of content
    Last edited by annekepoot; 08-14-2019, 08:48 AM.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

#21- Messenger of Truth by Jacqueline Winspear - 4 stars. Historical mystery set in London right after WWI. The main character is a female detective. Easy read.

Comment

#51. The Golden Hour by Beatriz Williams. I give it a 3 as the subject matter was tantalizing, but the telling of the story didn’t live up to the promise for me. I also found it somewhat tawdry.

Comment

#52. My Journey with Farrah: A Story of Life, Love and Friendship by Alana Stewart. Quick read we will be discussing in October at book club. I give it 4 stars, but this is not a book I would have picked myself.

Comment

33. The Trouble with Twelfth Grave...Darynda Jones (Audio) Private Investigator Mysteries/Supernatural
            Debbie

So much yarn, so few hiding spots!

Book Challenge 2019 37/50

TexasPurl Designs / Trello Knitting Board / Trello Crochet Board

Comment

#22 - An Incomplete Revenge by Jaqueline Winspear - 4 stars.

Comment

Embracing the Wide Sky by Daniel Tammet (audiobook version) - 3.5 stars.

Written by a man with high functioning autism (once also called Asperger's Syndrome), the book provides insight into neuro-science and neuropsychology. It is well written and I would have given it more stars if the examples of "wrongness" (I mean this loosely) weren't so heavily weighted against conservatives. I understood why he used politically charged examples, but I can think of many from every gradation of the political spectrum. Apparently, the author could not.

Comment

I finished Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate. I ended up liking it much more than I thought I was going to.

I have now started Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterley.
                  "Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily defeat us." -William O. Douglas, author

Comment

• yarnforall
                    yarnforall commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I loved Before We Were Yours!! I am from Memphis, so it really resounded with me. I remember seeing the house where the children’s home headquarters had been located, not far from my aunt’s house.

• EllenDeKnitter
                    EllenDeKnitter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I added Before We Were Yours to my wish list on Libby, thanks for the recommendation Duellingneedles !
                    Hidden Figures is a good read, hope you enjoy it!

#53 Winter Birds by Jamie Langston Turner. I give this one 4 stars. It is a gentle tale told from the perspective of an elderly lady.

Comment

#23 The Curse of the Pharaohs - #2 in the Amelia Peabody series. 3 stars. Mildly entertaining but I think I've had enough of this series.

Comment

#24 In the Midst of Winter by Isabel Allende - 4 stars

Comment

34. Summoned to Thirteenth Grave...Darynda Jones (Audio) Private Investigator Mysteries/Supernatural
                        Debbie

So much yarn, so few hiding spots!

Book Challenge 2019 37/50

TexasPurl Designs / Trello Knitting Board / Trello Crochet Board

Comment

21. Secretos de las Salud Escondidos en la Biblia (Sp.) - Dr Reginald Cherry (Hidden Bible Health Secrets) - I found this interesting and very informative but I'm always a little put out when the writer says all we need nutritionally is in our foods and then recommends dozens of supplements. A 4 for information, a 2 for disappointment.
                          22. El Libro de Las Senales (Sp.) Dr. David Jeremiah (The Book of Signs) - a very good interpretation of scriptural prophecy in light of current events. A 5 for me.
                          Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

#54. Home for Erring and Outcsat Girls by Julie Kibler.
                            2 stars

Comment

#25 - Gone for Good by Harlan Coben - 4.5 stars. I really enjoy Harlan Coben's style. He writes mysteries and I have read a number of his Myron Bolitar series. This book was not in a series. It was a mystery.

Comment

Working...
                              X