Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

2019 50 Book Challenge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've recently discovered Sandra Dallas, and have read The Persian Pickle Club and The Diary of Mattie Spencer. Both were just beautiful, and I know I will continue to read her books. Both of those books were about women's life in the early days of U.S. history. They're not just historical fiction to educate about history. They inform about history while telling beautiful stories.

Comment

• yarnforall
      yarnforall commented
      Editing a comment
      Duellingneedles, oh okay. We have both. I can’t say enough nice things about our awesome library!

• RebeccaJ
      RebeccaJ commented
      Editing a comment
      I have Overdrive, but my library appears to only have a few of her books on Kindle. I read the only one that they actually had available last night, Hardscrabble (didn't get much sleep), but realized that it is one of her young adult books. Sweet, but not as complex and interesting as her other books.

• yarnforall
      yarnforall commented
      Editing a comment
      No, I wasn’t impressed with Hardscrabble either. It is not a good representation of her work.

Hello, friends. School started back and I have barely had time to take care of my family, much less post! I need to catch up on everything! I just updated my list of books read and I am currently on #39, a book about the Mayflower passengers. I'm looking forward to catching up on everyone's reading lists!

Comment

23. Staying Focused in a Hyper World - Natural Solutions for ADHD, Memory and Brain Performance - John Gray (Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus author)

I am giving this a 2/5 for several reasons. I heard the author in a webinar and thought I would order the book but was disappointed to see that it was a very repetitive book. I don't like it when the author highlights in bold something he has already said in the foregoing paragraph. You think you're going to read something new, and then you find yourself reading something you've already read. Feels like filling up paper. Also, the author used 200 words to say something that could have been said in 20. I finally ended up just reading the bolded sentences which were basically summaries. The book was also touted in the webinar but neglected to say it was one of three books needed to cover the subject. Well-referenced (page filler?) but not a lot of new information. Lots of anecdotes which I don't put a whole lot of stock in. Information was good if you don't have any previous background in the material, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are already somewhat knowledgeable about the subject. Also, everything seemed to hinge on using his supplements so it seemed more like a long sales pitch. I always get a little cynical when the solution is buying something. Wow - not a kind review - have to go and look for the other side of the bed to get out of!
      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

• Greennana
        Greennana commented
        Editing a comment
        I appreciate your honest review. Perhaps the author was being paid by the word count. Or is it a doctrinal dissertation that was repackaged for mass market?
        If you don't like authors that repeat themselves don't read Alexander Dumas. He writes an action or dialogue. After that paragraph he writes "that is to say" and repeats in a slight variation. If I wasn't reading an audio book while knitting I doubt would ever have finished Three Musketeers.

• hereami
        hereami commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree about Dumas. However...in our family his, 'The Count of Monte Cristo' is an all time favorite. One family member has read it over 10 times.
        I think this family member has it memorized.

• annekepoot
        annekepoot commented
        Editing a comment
        I felt that way about Don Quixote - I'm a voracious reader, but I couldn't plod through that one - it seemed unending.

17. Stand Down by J.A. Jance. (a novelette. More stories with these characters in a series. Set in modern Seattle, Wa.)
      18. The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells (great as a audio book)

Several more on stand by. Loving my new Libby app and the audio books I am trying on it.

Comment

#59. The Death of Mrs. Westaway by Ruth Ware. 4.5 stars. I couldn’t put this one down. It was dark and broody and very suspenseful. This one was for book club. I definitely would read some more of Ms. Ware’s books, even though I didn’t like some of the salty language.

Comment

• lovestostitch
          lovestostitch commented
          Editing a comment
          I loved that book. My book club discussed it. I was shocked when a couple of the women said they didn't like the book. Turns out they didn't understand all the twists and turns of who was who. Two of us tried explaining it and they still couldn't get it.

• yarnforall
          yarnforall commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess I could see how they would get mixed up, but it didn’t confuse me. I even speculated early on that might be a scenario. I think the reason I liked it so much was the ever present impending doom.

#29 - The Lost Man by Jane Harper. 5 stars. I really like Jane Harper's books. This is her third. The first two were The Dry and Force of Nature. All of her books are set in Australia and she paints such a vivid picture of the hard life for those out in rural Australia. Her books are all mysteries. I have listened to all of them on audiobooks and I love the voice of the guy who reads them. It really adds to the book to have a guy with an Australian accent reading.

Comment

Just finished Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty. I have never read any books by her before and knew nothing about this book as I listened to it, so I had no idea where it was heading. I enjoyed it, even though I thought it was really strange most of the time. :-)

Now I'm starting The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny.
          "Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily defeat us." -William O. Douglas, author

Comment

• lovestostitch
            lovestostitch commented
            Editing a comment
            I like Liane Moriarty and I'm working my way through the Armand Gamache series. Right now I'm listening to Plum Island by Nelson DeMille. Someone here recommended it. I'm enjoying it.

• knitwillow
            knitwillow commented
            Editing a comment
            Oooo, I enjoy Liane Moriarty! -- I have read all of her books.

#60. The Forgiving Kind by Donna Everhart. 3 stars. Very depressing.

Comment

Just finished "The Circle" by Dave Eggers. When I started it, I rolled my eyes and wondered if it was worth staying with it. By the end I was sick to my stomach. It eerily echoes some of the behaviors and mindsets found today - especially, though not exclusively, on certain social media. I was prepared to give this dystopian novel a "meh", but now think it warrants a read.
            ​"​​​​Be with those who help your being "- Rumi

Comment

• Duellingneedles
              Duellingneedles commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds interesting. Will have to check that one out.

#30 Plum Island by Nelson DeMille - 4.5 stars. I chose it based on others in this group enjoying it and I enjoyed it too. It is the first of the John Corey series. I've already requested #2.

Comment

Originally posted by Duellingneedles View Post
              Sounds interesting. Will have to check that one out.
              Be forewarned, it's definitely not a feel good story. 🤪 Apparently I'm on a dystopian binge right now. Listening to Lois Lowry's "The Giver", and despite the rather annoying narration, I am enjoying the story so far. Neal Shusterman's "Scythe" e-book just became available from the library tonight. Shusterman"s Scythe series was recommended by a neighbor who's a school teacher. She said it's a very good series.

​"​​​​Be with those who help your being "- Rumi

Comment

Just finishing The Cruelest Month by Louise Penny. This one didn't hold my attention very well. Getting ready to start Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance.
              "Restriction of free thought and free speech is the most dangerous of all subversions. It is the one un-American act that could most easily defeat us." -William O. Douglas, author

Comment

I really enjoyed the movie "The Green Mile" a few years ago. I asked the librarian to place the book on hold for me. I hope to get in some reading time this weekend.

Comment

36. 12.21...Dustin Thomason (Audio) Medical Apocalyptic Mystery
                  Debbie

So much yarn, so few hiding spots!

Book Challenge 2019 37/50

TexasPurl Designs / Trello Knitting Board / Trello Crochet Board

Comment

61. The Wives of Los Alamos by TaraShea Nesbit. 3 stars ... fascinating material awkwardly told.

Comment

Working...
                    X