Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://vb.ourunraveled.com/articles...rum-ettiquette
See more
See less

Where'd You Get That Yarn?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where'd You Get That Yarn?

Where do you most frequently buy your yarn?
    Local Yarn Store
    32.86%
    Big Box Store (think WalMArt, JoAnn's, Michael's etc)
    20.00%
    On Line Small Retailer (think Etsy, indie dyers with a website, etc)
    25.71%
    On Line Large Retailer (think WEBS)
    40.00%
    eBay
    7.14%
    Last edited by BonBon; 07-20-2019, 01:39 AM.

I buy most of my yarn online now, but because of a change in location used to shop more at my LYS. My LYS used to have 2 shops and one was only 2 miles from my house...and right across the street from my personal trainer's studio. The LYS consolidated to a single larger location more centrally located and much less convenient for me to get to. While it's not super far, it's far enough that sometimes I just don't have time to get there. I love the shop because they sell so much indie-dyed yarn, but I end up shopping online more often these days just to to having so many other things going on. Plus, I'm terrible about being up late at night and shopping online.

Comment

• BonBon
      BonBon commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup! Gotta watch out for those late night shopping sprees. My brain doesn't fire on all cylinders past 11pm.
      There have been a few tragic purchases that happened in the wee hours

• stasher
      stasher commented
      Editing a comment
      I am up all night so I am always searching for new bargain on ebay. It isn't as it use to be. Thank God , because I would have 2x as much by now!.
      Even the italian supplier I use to buy from is not selling anymore!

I am having no luck today. First I can't get pictures to load, and now my poll has disappeared! I give up

Comment

Your poll is here! But no option for ebay! That's where most of my yarn came from.
      I actually counted today and allowing myself 200 bucks a months to spend on me, all went into yarn and machines, parts and accessories. In 5 years.
      That's a lot! But not paying full prices, I have lots of yarn equity !

Comment

• BonBon
        BonBon commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point! I did forget eBay, sorry!
        I've purchased yarn from eBay as well. It can be a good resource! I'm glad to hear the poll is back. Not sure where it went, or why?? This site has been very glitchy for me today..

BonBon Maybe they work behind the scenes on it.
      But as I said before, I am walking around in circles. I answered some posts and later I can't find it till someone else replies so it gives me notification. I join pages on topics but not sure if I have to join every page after on that topic. I get around but it isn't all intuitive yet.
      The forum is "unraveling" nicely. Lots of options, and groups for people to join and explore

Comment

• BonBon
        BonBon commented
        Editing a comment
        I added eBay!

Voted!!

Comment

I have had a set budget if 500$ yearly. I buy a few really nice special skeins a year and then in between my big expensive purchases I buy from webb's or a local retailer and I usually stick to cheaper sock yarns because I don't get much from expensive sock yarn on my feet compared to on my neck. I have gone outside my budget for baby shower gifts though, and patterns and accessories don't coubt... But don't tell my husband 😉 we're not as tight with money these days so I have gone a bit crazy. I could probably knit all year on the yarn and fiber I have right now... But I like having options.

Comment

• BonBon
          BonBon commented
          Editing a comment
          Options are important! My dh doesn't understand this. He's a 'make a plan - stick to the plan' kinda guy. I'm a "But what if I'm suddenly inspired to add rainbow stripes to my project that doesn't call for them?" kinda gal.

I purchase most of my yarn online. My LYS is more of a “ yarn boutique”. They seem to only sell very high end, very expensive fibers with limited color choices. A few times a month I travel a few towns over for work, so I will stop in the yarn shop there. I support that one more than the one in my own town. I think we are all in the same boat in that we need to spend our money wisely. I love the idea of supporting locally, but sometimes it just isn’t a smart financial decision.

Comment

• BonBon
          BonBon commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm with you. I would love to be able to say all my yarn comes from my LYS or a small indie dyer on line. But it just isn't practical. My closest LYS is not that close, so I have to factor travel (gas, time) into the cost of the yarn. Many on line retailers offer free shipping once you hit a certain sales amount. I try to support 'buy local' whenever I can, it's just not always in my budget to do so

Aaahh - could someone describe to me this mysterious thing they call "local LYS" ?? (loud sigh from someone who does no online shopping and lives in a small town)
        Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

• BonBon
          BonBon commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup! LYS = Local Yarn Store (or Shop)

• annekepoot
          annekepoot commented
          Editing a comment
          I guess I needed a sarcastic emoji -

• BonBon
          BonBon commented
          Editing a comment
          Ooooooh, sorry. Lol! That far away, huh?

You might need to add an "Other" option.

Most of all of my yarn was acquired by trading my knitting services or hand knitted socks for yarn, or via swapping, trading, or it was given to me through connections on "R". By doing so I was able to obtain and try several really nice yarns that aren't available to me nor can I afford on my budget. Now that I have left that site I don't know what I'll do. I guess I'll go back to trolling on ebay or the local Joann or HL.

Comment

• BonBon
          BonBon commented
          Editing a comment
          I love that! I thought we had a trade board or destash topic here...if we don't, we need one!

My favorite LYS is not actually local to me. It about a 2-hour drive and two states away. They are lovely people and if I know what I want they'll mail it to me, but I really enjoy wandering around the shop and petting the lovelies.

I shop online for Lopi/Lett Lopi and for cones of cashmere and cashmere blends.

The Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival was a recent splurge. I bought yarns from multiple vendors this Spring.

Comment

• BonBon
          BonBon commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh my gosh, fiber festivals are like an LYS on steroids! I always blow my budget

• EllenDeKnitter
          EllenDeKnitter commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes @BonBon!!! I bought a LOT of yarn and spent a LOT of money. But you know, the yarn, even before knitting it up, brings me joy. If DH and I go out to a movie it costs $40 for the tickets, popcorn (a must have!) and drinks - in 2 hours, it is done and done. At a sheep and wool festival, for $40 I can buy a beautiful hank or two of lovely yarn and spend hours and hours knitting it up. The only problem is the number of times l justify the purchases this way - I bought over 10 movie nights worth of yarn this year at MSAW!

• BonBon
          BonBon commented
          Editing a comment
          It truly can bring joy, can't it? I have a few of my favorite skeins, displayed in a gallon sized jar. I wanted to keep it safe from our rehabbing dust, but I also just want to look at it.

Oh geez, now I'm picturing myself hunched over my skeins, stroking them, and looking around suspiciously, while muttering "My preeecious". Has my yarn turned me into Gollum?!

I dye and spin most of my yarn. I buy the (wholesale quantities) fiber online.

Comment

• BonBon
          BonBon commented
          Editing a comment
          So the fiber that you buy is already prepped for dying and spinning? Or are you buying raw (I don't know if that's the right word, maybe pre-processed is better) wool? How much do you estimate that you save? I am very interested because dying and spinning are the next skills I want to learn on my fiber journey.

• 1mowmow
          1mowmow commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I buy my wool in mostly combed top by the bump, which is something like 22 pounds. Fiber takes up a lot less space wound in a bump! I used to process my own fleece, but what I buy now costs less than the fleece. Most often I dye my wool in a slow cooker and then recard it.

I buy yarn when we travel. My question about a new town: "Does it have a yarn store?" (Swarfy's question about a new town: "Does it have a gun store?")

Our cruise of the San Juans and Puget Sound in 2017 was absolutely intoxicating because every single small-town port had an LYS. You can guess that I came home loaded!

But sitting right here at home, I shop online all over the States and the world. Here are my all-time favorites for LYSs that also deal online. These are outstanding both for selection and for service:

Fairlight Fibers https://fairlightfibers.com/
        Coveted Yarn https://covetedyarn.com/stores/coveted-yarn/
        Fidalgo Yarns https://fidalgoyarns.com/
        Knotty Lady Yarns https://www.knottyladyyarns.com/
        (Knotty Lady is only an hour away, but it's still one of the best imho)

Bless those who disappoint you; they're leading you toward a better path.

Comment

• BonBon
          BonBon commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for sharing those links!

I’m pretty lucky that I have several LYSs within an hour’s drive from me. Since the shops have different overall specialties and personalities I don’t mind driving to get to them, as long as it’s not the middle of winter (I stock up in the fall. Lol!). I do have a couple of frequented favorites, but I do try to hit up most of them once or twice a year. My second source is small online retailers, usually the ones who have had booths at fiber shows that i’ve attended, where I’ve been able to touch, feel and see their yarn in person.

Comment

Lightning57 you should ask yarn dyers and local yarn stores if they need sample knitters. You likely won't get to keep the piece but you'll get to enjoy some yarn 😁

Comment

• Lightning57
            Lightning57 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm hoping at some point to find a WWFY type of group here or on another site. I was in that forum on R. There are no LYS around here. Thanks.
        Working...
        X