LoveCrafts 728 X 90

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Etiquette - Please Read Before Posting

Please read the forum etiquette, by posting here you agree to be part of a polite society. https://fiberkind.com/articles/4133-forum-etiquette
See more
See less

Whole-food, Plant Based Health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole-food, Plant Based Health

There has been some interest in a group for those of us who follow a WFPB (Whole Food, Plant Based) lifestyle or who are interested in it. I run a big group on Facebook on this topic but many of us prefer our closeknit Fiberkind community rather than facebook so let's chat here! I've been living this lifestyle for 7 years and it changed my life.

I'm not here to argue. If you don't agree with this lifestyle choice then isn't it great that you get to choose for YOU but please don't come to our peaceful space to criticize or argue.

I will post a link below for a couple of blog posts I made years ago describing the changes this lifestyle made in my life. I went, QUITE LITERALLY from sick, crippled and in constant, severe pain to no meds, no pain, zero symptoms from my autoimmune diseases and an active lifestyle. It is a long story so I would rather link it than type it on my phone.

I'll post articles and links from leading experts in this field now and then for us to talk about and learn from. Other than that how about some favorite recipes y'all? Or your experiences with making these changes or any questions you have I will answer them if I can.

http://brandnewnatshell.blogspot.com...on-on.html?m=1
    ​​​
    Natalie from Oklahoma

Jer 9:11-13
    "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Stashbuster MAL 2021 YTD -43 WTD -14
    2021 50 New-to-me Books: 3

Looking forward to being part of this group. I encouraged my sister to at least try WFPB for three months for her fibro and she has enjoyed it. She even got us matching cookbooks so we could try and compare recipes (we don't live close together). It's called Plant-Based on a Budget by Toni Okamoto and as the title indicates, it's penny-wise with simple ingredients. The other book I would recommend is Whole Grain Vegan Baking by Celine Steen and Tamasin Noyes. This is a great book but calls for a lot of different ingredients that may not be in your normal baking pantry - helps to have a bulk food store nearby for the more esoteric ingredients but I have found it to have some really great-tasting recipes.

One recipe to start with is Chickpea Salad which I call fake tuna salad and my husband says tastes like egg salad. Take a small can of chickpeas and chop fine or whirl them in a thing-a-ma-bob machine that's not a blender (word escapes me - all I'm getting is composter!!) so that it mashes up and looks like tuna flakes but isn't mush. I then add chopped onion, celery, relish, salt and pepper and some vegan mayo (just like the things you'd add in making tuna salad), and Bob's your uncle. I make it at least once a week - it's become our favorite sandwich filling.

Now, if I could only find an oil-free dressing that actually tastes good.

Oh, and I went from Type 2 diabetic to testing non-diabetic and my doctor asking who diagnosed me - um, YOU did! See what you can do without drugs!!
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
      KnitsWithHorses commented
      Editing a comment
      I am SO happy for you to have controlled your diabetes! That is huge to me. I honestly feel like it should be considered malpractice for doctors to not at least present it as an option but we can hardly expect that since doctors aren't taught about it in medical school. That's a BIG old soapbox so I'll step away. Lol
      My mom passed away from complications of diabetes (renal failure) and I was checked frequently as I was borderline for years and since I was morbidly obese the doctors all assumed it was a matter of time. But I'm the first female in my mom's family in 3 generations not to be on insulin by early 50s. I'm 58 and totally normal blood sugar. Same story with blood pressure for the record. 😁 Had to stop bp meds within weeks.

• annekepoot
      annekepoot commented
      Editing a comment
      That's excellent! All I got was rolled eyes when I mentioned a change in diet and why I didn't want drugs.

I need to check out that book by Toni Okamoto! That's my kind of recipe book. I am NOT a chef, a gourmet or even a great cook. I keep things pretty basic. I have had that chickpea salad and my whole family loved it. Hadn't had it in a while so thanks for the reminder. I actually have a thingamabob like you describe. It's meant to make smoothies but has a blade for course chopping too. I also have one that isn't electric that does the job nicely. 😂
    I have a link for TONS of recipes for no oil dressings. I'll find it and post it.
    Natalie from Oklahoma

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Comment

• annekepoot
      annekepoot commented
      Editing a comment
      The word finally came to me - food processor! Obviously I don't have one. And I'm a simple cook - I make great soups, but that's about it. My greatest lack of knowledge is spices and herbs and how to use them.

• KnitsWithHorses
      Editing a comment
      annekepoot I love soups! Especially in winter I could practically live on soups!

Well I can't find the salad dressing link I usually share but I find this one.
    https://nutriciously.com/oil-free-ve...lad-dressings/
    Natalie from Oklahoma

Comment

Thanks for starting this! I have been WFPB for several years--lost LOTS of weight, but have been putting it back on with COVID-lockdown stress eating AND moving from the hippie city to my husband's family roots in cow country, where every supermarket and restaurant is awash in meat, sugar, white flour and fats--plus his family bakes and cooks that way.

So I am struggling a lot. I do work out, but I find that by the end of the day--or even mid-day--I am starving and looking for junk food, which my husband keeps in the house. I work from home normally--but with COVID I have basically been stuck in the house nearly 24/7, since things are closed, work is (thank God) insanely busy, and the nearest anything at all to us is 30 minutes away--too far for a lunch outing, given how insane work is.

Comment

• annekepoot
        annekepoot commented
        Editing a comment
        Wish I could have a garden - we live on a mini-lot, in a Zone 3 climate, and packs of deer and hares that ravish anything green. I just don't think a few vegetables are worth a $5000 fence. Fortunately, we have a few organic gardeners with greenhouses who come to weekly markets.

• dapncat
        dapncat commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, lots of deer here--would need some sort of fencing. Also, the ground is very rocky.

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        We will have to putdeer fencing around the outdoor raised beds. The greenhouse should be safe. We have rolls of mesh that is made for the purpose that isn't terribly expensive. I'm actually planning to buy an auger because we have so much rock that we had to use my hammer drill and a masonry bit for EVERY tee post we put in. It was crazy! That's the reason the horse only has a one acre pasture right now. Lol But honestly, if you can't garden a great farmers market is the next best thing. I LOVE a good farmers market. And if I don't get all the prep done in time for Spring then I'll be spending a lot of time at our farmers markets again. Heck yeah!

Thank you for starting this group, KnitsWithHorses .

I have not been online much recently, but wanted to mention that our family is fond of the recipes from Forks Over Knives (https://www.forksoverknives.com/). We have also taken several WFPB classes locally.

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        I know a lady who teaches classes for PCRM (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine) and she has a website with amazing recipes that are 100% in line with Forks Over Knives. I'll link it below. I have another good one too. I wish there were enough plant based people in my area for there to be classes or meet ups... when meetups are practicable again. But Okies are pretty set in their ways. Although one of the doctors my dil works for passes out cards with Forks Over Knives and a few other resources on it in case they are willing to try that way! I was so excited to find out there was a plant based doctor around here! Unfortunately he's an hours drive for me but it might be worth it!

Here are my two favorite, go-to recipe websites for fully healthy and delicious and reasonably easy recipes for a regular non-chef like me. Terri Edwards from the first one teaches WFPB classes at hospitals and medical practices etc and is associated with Dr Neal Barnard's Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine. The second one is a guy from Texas, Chuck Underwood,, who started making recipes that made him feel like he wasn't giving up the regional foods he loved. His chili is so good that he wins prizes at chili cookoffs in Texas! Texans love their chili y'all! His tex-mex recipes are amazing but he has a little bit of everything. Comfort food made healthy.

https://eatplant-based.com/
      https://www.brandnewvegan.com/
      Natalie from Oklahoma

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        dapncat I'm not super clear on how to make threads and sub-threads etc. I just went to the off topic area and clicked on "New Topic." Do you want to start a thread for it or shall I? I'm just thinking for everyone regardless of how basic or extensive their goals are and whether it's walking or yoga or whatever? Just a place for support and encouragement to make progress? Cuz I, for one, am starting nearly at rock bottom again. Not quite as weak as I was when I started 7 years ago but I'm definitely in the baby steps class. Lol

• dapncat
        dapncat commented
        Editing a comment
        KnitsWithHorses Started a thread.

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Sweet!

My husband (70) is starting to show signs of rheumatoid arthritis in his hands. We are upping his intake of our homemade curcumin and ginger capsules and his intake of greens. Has anyone heard of anything specifically for RA? We don't want to start any medication regimes. So far, he has minimal pain and we'd like to keep it that way!
      Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Ian Maclaren (misattributed to Plato)

Comment

• annekepoot
        annekepoot commented
        Editing a comment
        He has osteo in his knee which he is treating holistically. Osteoarthritis is usually more of a wear and tear ailment. RA tends to come up suddenly, which is the case here. We are very much WFPB so very few processed foods enter our shopping basket. Our doctor is a meds and prescription fellow and we don't have the option of changing doctors - our community doesn't have enough doctors so with people on a waiting list for a family doctor our request for a more holistic doctor was denied.

• dapncat
        dapncat commented
        Editing a comment
        annekepoot Ugh, sorry to hear that. I will ask my friend with RA if she knows of anything

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        A lot of people have said that avoiding gluten helps with RA. I think that Dr Goldhamer from True North Clinic mentioned that as well but I can't remember where I saw it. If I find it I'll let you know. There is a lot of reliable, science backed info on RA at this link:
        https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/rheumatoid-arthritis/

Passionate Vegetarian by Crescent Dragonwagon has a lot of really good recipes in it. One of my favorites is the chickpea, sweet potato & tomato soup plus some popovers.

I am definitely a big fan of whole food, but the nature & severity of the health issues I have has meant that I've had to add some animal foods back into my diet. I have certainly heard both perspectives for health...many people do well on whole food, plant based while others have had health issues cured with carnivore.
      Fiber Design Imagineer at the Maine Top Mill

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        There are people who find relief from certain things by adding in meat or even doing high meat and fat keto. But since those food groups are absolutely proven to worsten and increase the diseases that kill most people, I think it's usually short sighted. I don't debate those who make their own choices however and I know a lot of people who do very well and individuals improve their overall health as well as specific conditions eating loads of fresh whole foods while also keeping some non veg foods in their diet. Personally I still eat some sea food from time to time but not regularly. My problem over the last couple of very rough years in my personal life has been staying away from the processed junk even if it's vegetarian. In my opinion, the preservatives and chemicals in processed food and fast food should be the FIRST thing people striving for better health should eliminate. Kick the chemicals and eat some dang fresh produce! If everyone did that alone we would see huge improvements!

There is a virtual summit coming up regarding whole food, plant based diets and it is FREEEEEE! It has TONS of amazing speakers including almost every expert in the field that I admire. I always especially look forward to Dr. Lisle and Dr. Goldhamer and Dr. Fuhrman and Dr. Montgomery and Chef A.J. and and AND..... I really need the motivation and the reminders while I get myself back on track so the timing couldn't be more perfect for me. It's called The Truth About Weight Loss but it's about so much more than just weight loss. It's about health and mental well-being and creating habits and there are cooking demos! You can watch just the ones you really want to or you can watch all of them. You can buy DVDs and transcripts or just watch them the day they are presented for free. This will be going on during the week of my birthday which kind of makes me feel like the universe is giving me a special gift. Just thought I would share in case anyone else wants to catch them.

Hope this link actually makes a link. If not, just copy/paste.
      https://thetruthaboutweightloss.org/
      Natalie from Oklahoma

Comment

• dapncat
        dapncat commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome, thanks!

On the Let Food Be Thy Medicine - dietary support group for reversing disease FB page there is a recipe for Mushroom Stew which I made today in the slow cooker - it was delicious. I would probably tweak it with a bit of honey (horrors!) to cut the tomato a little bit - something I always do with anything tomato based but otherwise it was a keeper.

Comment

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        annekepoot You should really check out brandnewvegan.com He is a Texas guy who went vegan for his health and his whole jam is making comfort foods WFPB with little to no added oil or sugar. He has recipes that still make you feel like you're eating at mama's table but supoprt your health and the planet at the same time. And they are easily doable even for a total non-cook like me.

• annekepoot
        annekepoot commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the tip - I have it bookmarked to check out.

• dapncat
        dapncat commented
        Editing a comment
        Forgot about that site--thanks for the reminder. I had a long talk with myh dentist today--he is trying to eat meat only once a week and not eat junk (and his daughter is vegan, so that helps). I'll recommend that site to him too

Picking your brains. I remember a documentary about teaching how to eat WFPB - the group went to towns and gathered people who were interested and they were shown how to prepare the food and then given the actual meals for the week or however long the session was. One of the groups that stuck out for me was from a black church and the enthusiasm from the pulpit of parishioners who had gone through the course. I'd like to see it again but have no idea how to search for it, or what group was actually putting these courses on although I'm pretty sure it was in the US. Saw it a few years ago so it's not something recent.

Comment

• annekepoot
        annekepoot commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, I'll have to check that out. I just finished What the Health for the second time last night. I just remember it ended with a big group in an outdoor forum - I'll do that today.

• KnitsWithHorses
        Editing a comment
        Yup that sounds like Plant Pure Nation. The beaurocracy bull hockey that they encountered in the KY legislature was what really stood out to me.

• annekepoot
        annekepoot commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup - that's the one - thanks!

Amazon Widget

Collapse

Paypal Donate Link

Collapse

Working...
    X